Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

The /newstuff Chronicles #120

I'm so late, and it's all SargeBaldy's fault. Your crappy speedmap complimations (and other reasons, like Hyena giving me five wads he didn't review) has made me late. Still, I have to go through 16 wads, which totals up to some amount of levels that I can't be bothered counting, but I think it's over 40.

• Agent Spork's Tech Plant DeathMatch - Agent Spork
    (wad)(txt) -ZDoom - DM(img) (img) (img)
    This is a waste of disk space. A 3.8mb wad just for an area no bigger than 1024x1024? Come on, this is a real disgrace. I'm estimating that if you remove all of the textures and the 2mb mp3, the wad would probably drop down to around 36kb, making that about 1% of it's original size. Oh yeah, and it's a symmetrical map as well. It's just screaming out "dispose me, I'm only interesting for one match!".

• Blind Alley B., "Octagon of Fear" - Gene Bird
    (wad)(txt) -Doom2.exe - SP(img) (img) (img)
    This, coming from the same guy who made those crappy Blind Alley levels, was something that surprised me. Comparing this level to the last one of the series that I reviewed, this one literally blows it away. It's nice to see that you have improved over the last few months. It contains great, balanced gameplay, and the detailing is very simplistic, but nothing in the slightest ugly for Doom2.exe limits. There are some areas that could definitely be improved, and one certain switch that is a pain in the ass to figure out, but other than those two negatives, this level is something worth playing. I'm beginning to get interested in this wad series.

• Chaingun Arena - Vulg@r
    (wad)(txt) -Doom2.exe - DM(img) (img)
    I willingly offered to beta test it, and I'm rather surprised. This is a damn good level for a first trier. It does a completely unneccessary pit though, and the BFG and Megasphere are a bit of a pain in the ass to reach, but other than that, it's a nice excuse to drift away from those constant SSG fights that most people on ZDaemon have. Oh yeah, some of the doors are quite hard to find, but I don't really know if they were intended to be like that or not.

• Doom Boy and Black Void's Deathmatch - DoomBoy and Black Void
    (wad)(txt) -ZDoom - DM(img) (img) (img)
    I told that damn DoomBoy not to make his DM maps symmetrical, so he goes make two more of those repetitive levels, and brainwashes Black Void to do the same. Well, I guess if you like symmetrical DM maps (which I certainally don't) and crappy .mods from 1992, then I urge you to take a look at this, as they are quite good for a "play once, forget about it afterwards" levelset. They're not terribly detailed however, especially since they're designed for a limit-removing port.

• Doom:Enigma Demo - Various
    (wad)(txt) -Doom2.exe - SP(img) (img) (img) (img)
    Ahh, a demo of a community project. You know, those projects where anyone can make a level, and it'll be in a megawad which can make you (the forum monkey who's making a level) famous? Well, this is one of those, and judging from the demo, it shows a lot of promise. I must admit that I'm doing a level for it (and it will be good, because I'm making it), so my review might sound a bit biased towards Doom:Enigma's favour. Enough rambling, let's get on with this show.

This wad is a demo of the upcoming project Doom:Enigma, which aims to recreate the Doom 1 scenario. It's really hard to judge what the final result will be, as the levels all have their good and bad points. MAP01 is nicely detailed, but it has way too many monsters and it is also a very short level. MAP02 is challenging, but it looks ugly. MAP03 is incredibly repetitive and very underdetailed, and MAP04 is a tad hard, but the detailing is satisfactory. I'm sure the final version of Doom:Enigma will be something to play over and over again, but this demo isn't anything spectacular.

• Imp Encounter - Anonymous
    (wad)(txt) -ZDoom 2.0 b42- N/A(img) (img) (img)
    Best. Wad. Ever.

This is just simply breathtaking, from the cacodemon fighting right up to the main event, which I don't wanna spoil (or you could just look in the fanfic forum and look for that big thread). A recommended wad to everyone... who has a twisted mind.

• In the Vicinity of Death - DarkWolf
    (wad)(txt) -Enhanced Doom port (other than Legacy) - DM(img) (img)
    This is a very good DM level. It has a very heavy Dwango6-ish atmosphere, and it provides fast-paced and very interesting 1-on-1 or FFA battles. The dehacked patch however... that is definitely one unique modification.

• The Madness of Mergatroid - Sean Birkel and Ben Gates
    (wad)(txt) -Doom.exe - SP
    Ok, these rereleases are really starting to get fucking annoying, especially since this wad is actually fava.wad, instead of what the text file says. If you haven't played it yet, play it.

• Room 101 - Sock
    (wad)(txt) -Doom.exe - SP(img) (img) (img)
    Rerelease. Originally made in 1994. The first part of the map looks good, but the rest of the map is so bloody repetitive that I hit the lovely F10 button within a few minutes. Don't play it, unless you want to see how horrible those 1994 wads are.

• SargeBaldy Speedmapping Compilation #1 - Various
    (wad)(txt) -Boom - SP(img) (img) (img) (img) (img)
    The first pack of the SargeBaldy speedmapping series. Participants were given 100 minutes to create a Doom 2 level on a specified theme. This compliation's theme is to recreate Phobos Anomoly (E1M8). The first two maps are spectacular (not pictured), and they are quite a challenge to beat as well. The rest of them are kinda bad in one way or another, but MAP07 is definitely the worst out of the bunch. The map wasn't even finished.

• SargeBaldy Speedmapping Compilation #2 - Various
    The second wad in the SargeBaldy speedmapping series. This compliation's theme is that our lovely heros adventures has taken a strange twist. His boat has crashed on the shore of a large island full of hungry imps. The maps are quite good for 100 minute jobs, with the expection of MAP01. You should check this pack out.

• SargeBaldy Speedmapping Compilation #3 - Various
    The third package in the SargeBaldy speedmapping series. This compliation's theme is to make a fortress which holds Queen Hissy, the last of the Cacodemons. Some of the levels are quite good, but few of them are very borderline (especially one which doesn't appear to have a REJECT lump).

• SargeBaldy Speedmapping Compilation #4 - Various
    (wad)(txt) -Boom - SP(img) (img) (img) (img)
    The fourth collection in the SargeBaldy speedmapping series. This compliation's theme is to make an E4-ish level with some sort of resemblance of E1M6 in it. The first two levels are quite good, with some moderately hard gameplay and very nice detailing. The last two however are not that good at all. Not to mention that the detailing makes me want to puke.

• SargeBaldy Speedmapping Compilation #5 - Various
    (wad)(txt) -ZDoom - SP(img) (img)
    The fifth installment in the SargeBaldy speedmapping series. This compliation's theme is to amke a UAC research lab that is having serious power difficulties. A grand total of two levels, and well, they suck. You naturally expect that from a map made in 100 minutes, but you don't even get to move around in the second level, and it's kinda screwed up at the end. The first one is ok, but nothing too good.

• The Last Strike Deathmatch 2003 Edition Demo - Various
    (wad)(txt) -ZDoom - DM(img) (img) (img) (img)
    A demo of the upcoming The Last Strike Deathmatch 2003 Edition. Now, the original TLSDM was somewhat inspired by UDM1, but this demo is luckily floating away from the 'inspired by' bluepapers. All of the weapons (except the chainsaw) have been replaced by Duke Nukem 3D weapons, and the Shotgun has been changed into a Railgun, using the Doom 64 Plasma Rifle graphics. The maps themselves are not really mindblowing, since three of the levels are symmetrical. God, has this week been named "Make symmetrical DM maps" week or something? It's a real shame too, it would of had heaps of potentional if they weren't somewhat repetitive. Oh yeah, the detailing in these levels are excellent though.

• The Square Base - Jan "Hirogen2" Engelhardt
    (wad)(txt) -ZDoom - DM(img)
    Yet another symmetrical DM map. It's also quite boring and empty as well. The only thing that's good about this map is the random powerup generator, but it takes way too long for the forcefield thingie to go away. Oh yeah, the fog is insanely unbearable, which is an unneccessary feature for DM maps. Don't download this, or I shall hunt you down and beat your face with decent DM wads.

Um, gotta make a point about me and BV's DM wad. My level three is certainly NOT symmetrical. Kthxbye.

Deathz0r:

About the Enigmademo wad. When you say MAP01 has too many monsters, do you mean it's impossible-hard?
I'm an average gamer and I have no trouble beating it.

Room 101 is not a "rerelease"... I explain why I put it up in the Archive in the accompanying text.

One thing I find annoying is when ignorant people anonymously upload other people's work... like the Room 101 "fix" or like The Madness of Megatriod: It's only an onder version of 01fava, with little or no modification... the author himself replaced the old version with the new one, and the only changes were an added wall patch and a slight graphic change (it says fava instead of frag in the frag counter.)

Stay off the Archive unless you are uploading your own work or unless you really know what you are doing...

Ah, one thing; I know it's deathz0r who's doing the reviews... but that isn't mentioned anywhere on the thread or the front page.

myk said:

Ah, one thing; I know it's deathz0r who's doing the reviews... but that isn't mentioned anywhere on the thread or the front page.

But how can you not know its our beloved Deathz0r? :D

Room 101 IS an old map, granted. Anyone interested in the nostalgia of Doom should not miss this map. This map has gameplay that is still fun yet challenging nearly 10 years later. So, if you love good gameplay and don't care that much about stretching the limits of the newest gameports, this one is fun! I for one love the old maps, there are a few real gems in that archive.

I have not yet tried any of the others, so I can't add anything else.

Funny that a '94 level is the best level in this newstuff. Enigma demo isn't bad either. I fail to see teh ugly in map02 and 03 of it, except some mis-aligned textures. map04 fails it tho. It's short and boring, and I wonder where the detail that deathz0r mentions is hidden.

Funny how everyone I've talked to has enjoyed the deathmatch pack. Funny how the reviewer NEVER ENJOYS JACK CRAP. Well - doesn't it just make everyone feel so special? See? I'm smiling :-) HA HA HA

DooMBoy said:

Um, gotta make a point about me and BV's DM wad. My level three is certainly NOT symmetrical. Kthxbye.

With the exception of a few crates, it is perfectly symmetrical.

Black Void said
Funny how everyone I've talked to has enjoyed the deathmatch pack. Funny how the reviewer NEVER ENJOYS JACK CRAP. Well - doesn't it just make everyone feel so special? See? I'm smiling :-) HA HA HA

Uhh, what? I enjoy a lot of wads, but symmetrical maps aren't my taste.

Black Void said:

I think he meant to say level 4.

Cut off the north part of the map, then you have a symmetrical map. Then again, I was rushing a bit...

Edit: It's just a bit upsetting to see so many levels degraded to rubbish. I don't want to start flame wars or any of that crap, but I honestly see a lot of un-needed bashing.

deathzor always seemed to like my maps...

btw please don't start this 'so and so gave my map a bad review and now I feel the need to yell at him!' crap again, because I'll delete the posts.

Black Void said:

In fact, you've just made me feel so good about my mapping ability! Thanks man, I even gave myself a new quote.

No problem, I'm always here to help your troubles.

Oh man, deathz0r gave my map a bad review and now I feel the need to yell at him!

myk said:

Room 101 is not a "rerelease"... I explain why I put it up in the Archive in the accompanying text.

Yes it is - I have the original (101.wad) on my D!1000 disc that I bought a couple of years ago. It's not a bad map either (as are many of the DooM 1 maps on the said disc).

Black Void said:

I think he meant to say level 4.

Yes, that's right. My mistake, I meant to say level 4, which isn't symmmetrical. Level 3, is however. I like making symmetrical DM maps :P

Ultimate DooMer, yeah, I have it on a similar CD as well. I meant that the upload wasn't exactly a "rerelease" (that's what an author would do when polishing a WAD a bit and uploading it anew), it was more like a restoration of the original file, when it had been replaced by a version recompiled by some anonymous individual two or three years ago (messing with the original, erasing the timestamp, etc.)

"Overload" IMO was a very good example of how small, symetrical DM maps can work. Of course, opinion is divided on "Overload" as to whether it worked or not. I say it did.

Enjay said:

"Overload" IMO was a very good example of how small, symetrical DM maps can work. Of course, opinion is divided on "Overload" as to whether it worked or not. I say it did.

Overload did it very well.

Surge did not.

(and I made half the maps in Surge 1)

Deathz0r said:

I'm so late, and it's all SargeBaldy's fault. Your crappy speedmap complimations (and other reasons, like Hyena giving me five wads he didn't review) has made me late.

first the doom community isn't doing enough, next it's doing TOO much! make up your mind :P

Deathz0r said:
(about Baldy Speedmapping 5)

[Y]ou don't even get to move around in the second level, and it's kinda screwed up at the end. The first one is ok, but nothing too good.

Uhh, actually you can move around, it's just on-camera. There's actually quite an amusing scene when you click the door.

and that imp encounter map wasn't so great... i expected more of dwforums@yahoo.com. the camera angles sucked, it didn't even keep true to the story.. it was certainly on the high end of jokemaps, but it wasn't all that terrific.