which do you perfer?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. which do you perfer?

• independent
    • mainstream
    • i like `em both
    • i don`t watch movies
    • other

this isn't a 'what's your fav movie' post. i'm just curious about your opinions on independent and mainstream movies. i perfer independent movies overall, but i do enjoy mainstream as well (seeing as quentin tarintino isn't independent anymore).

most modern independant movies are horseshit. You have to trawl through a million shitty titles to find one good one.

And the good one will leave you tearing your hair out because it will be flawed due to lack of funding.

I want to love independant movies, but they mostly frustrate me.

It all depends.

Usually people regard independent movies as better. But a lot of times, they could be pretentious bullshit, made by some entitled prick going to film school on their parent's trust fund. Some black and white bullshit, about a man drinking perfume out of a fedora hat, or whatever.

Than you could have a mainstream film that is absolutely brilliant. The new Mad Max film comes to mind.

Movies are really boring 99% of the time. I only watch the summer blockbusters because they will almost always entertain me, but I leave story to videogames.

I used to watch some movies from time to time, nowadays almost nothing.
I search for something that can interest me, and I prefer european or asian movies.

jmickle66666666 said:

i dont really watch many movies nowadays

Top notch bump my friend. This thread is probably old enough OP is just a skeleton in his chair now.

Considering this thread is 12 years old, I'm going to give a 12 year old reply. I was 6 years old 12 years ago so I liked everything Pixar made (with good reason at the time) and basically funny kids movies. I'm a bit older now so I've got a slightly different taste now, preferring such classics as Pulp Fiction, Napoleon Dynamite, Grand Hotel Budapest and Dead Alive )Braindead in America) so basically I like old movies and less well known movies which are fantastically unique.

I rarely watch anything though, I only do when I'm extremely bored.

2003 was an interesting year for me when it comes to watching movies. I was 12/13 at the time & this year was a transition of watching almost nothing but kids movies to mostly adult movies at the movie theater. It also marks the first time that I was able to go and see a movie that I wanted to see that my mother would not have have allowed me to watch, the first of which was X-Men 2. It was also the year that my mother got married & we moved to a new state, so my trips to the theater dropped down to almost nothing, until 2009, because my mother was quite poor & it was usually my friends parents who took me to the theater. I saw 8 movies this year, they were Kangaroo Jack, The Core, Holes, X-Men 2, Finding Nemo, Dumb & Dumberer, Pirates Of The Caribbean, & Johnny English.

Ever since 2009 my trips to the theater have risen to at least 30 per year, though I might not make that number this year as I've only seen 5 movies so far, those being Furious 7, Age Of Ultron, Mad Max, San Andreas, & Jurassic World.

As far as Independent Vs Mainstream movies I don't really have any problems with independent movies I enjoy movies with budges of $10,000 the same as I enjoy movies with $200,000,000 budgets, & I don't really see a difference between them except when it come to the quality of the special effects. I hardly ever see independents anymore though, mostly due to the fact that I don't rally watch movies anymore unless I see them in the theater & unless that independent movie wins tons of awards or something they don't really make it into theaters. Though Kickstarter is starting to change that for me, I discovered that site in late 2013 & since then I have helped fund 13 movies, 2 of which I have have received & enjoyed watching.

Piper Maru said:

I don't really watch many movies these days anymore, everything seems to be a remake or a reboot or a sequel anyhow.

Plus everything is CGI which just gets annoying and repetitive. I'm quite interested in how Star Wars 7 is going to turn out since JJ Abrams has a tendancy to use practical effects. Maybe chronologically, the Star Wars episodes will have an increase in quality as they go on. Alright maybe 1-3 get shittier as they go on but 4-9 should get better as they go on.