Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
999cop

Half Life 2 might make it onto store shelves by the end of this year

Yeah, nuclear bombs aren't exactly known to leave a survivor 40 feet from the explosion.

AndrewB said:

Yeah, nuclear bombs aren't exactly known to leave a survivor 40 feet from the explosion.

Heh, not even 40,000 feet. :P

Should be cool to see what finally happened to Gordon in the end... Maybe Gordon should be the new G-man, following you around, giving you advice and clues as you go along.

"Time to choose..."

AndrewB said:

Quake 3? Yuck. Well, that has to be a new personal record for me. 6 seconds between hearing about a game for the first time and deciding I will never buy it.

you HAVE seen the private message, right?

From what I've heard, Half-life 2 will be using a brand new engine which Valve developed themselves. It will apparently be the same one they're using for Team Fortress 2 and the next version of Counter-Strike (the one after Condition Zero, although CZ supposedly uses a few features from this new engine).

The storyline rumours I've heard see you travelling around the world completing various missions for G-Man. You will be able to chose to play as either Gordon Freeman or some woman (possibly one of the two women you play in Half-life: Decay (the PS2 co-op mode)), and Adrian Shepard (from Opposing Force) may make a few appearances too.

Hmm, I'm not as excited about half-life 2 as I was for the first one. It’s not that I was disappointed with the first game (quite the opposite in fact), but what could they possibly do to make it fresh and exciting all over again? Basically every FPS since then has stolen half-life elements, (including doom 3).

The Quake 3 engine eh? I might even be able to run it...

Trasher][ said:
Hmmmm, high-poly, FPS-knackering Black Mesa labs with fully terrain-mapped outdoors areas...

*watches as AndrewB hates the idea*

Oh please, the fact the it's made post 1996 means AndrewB will hate the idea.

Ct_red_pants said:

Oh please, the fact the it's made post 1996 means AndrewB will hate the idea.

Post 1993 surely?

DooMBoy said:

Well, since I've never played the original Half Life (yet, don't laugh), I can't say that this really gets me all that excited. :-/

don't worry, i just started playing it a month ago. it's definatly one of the greatest games i've ever played. i just hope we see a sequal to opposing force; that was a sweet kick ass mod. for some reason, playing as a marine just appeals to me a slight bit more than playing as a scientist. heh, damn doom influence.

AndrewB said:

Quake 3? Yuck. Well, that has to be a new personal record for me. 6 seconds between hearing about a game for the first time and deciding I will never buy it.

I think this post makes a personal record for me. Absolutely no time elapsed between reading this and deciding youre retarded. I thought it WHILE I read it!

monochrome said:

for some reason, playing as a marine just appeals to me a slight bit more than playing as a scientist. heh, damn doom influence.

Running around in army combat boots and army trousers is way cooler than running about in a white suit with a "ridiculous tie" and nice shoes, wearing some hight-tech environment suit on the outside - 'nuff said :-P

I agree with Andrew B here, Quake 3 is hyper dated, but then again so was Quake 1.5 when half Life came out

dsm said:

Running around in army combat boots and army trousers is way cooler than running about in a white suit with a "ridiculous tie" and nice shoes, wearing some hight-tech environment suit on the outside - 'nuff said :-P

/me takes off hight-tech environment suit.

I think that the suit was ok.The coloring could have been better. Pluse I would have ceapt the suit on. It saved his life ya know. It was realy good fourm of body amor.
That thing must get veary heavy after while.

Rotting Corpse said:

/me takes off hight-tech environment suit.

I think that the suit was ok.The coloring could have been better. Pluse I would have ceapt the suit on. It saved his life ya know. It was realy good fourm of body amor.
That thing must get veary heavy after while.

Heh, I was more thinking of sound combined with the imagination - me imagining those badass camouflage army trousers (which imo looks badass) and then the cool sound of those heavy boots against the floor (running around in OpFor just felt so much cooler than in regular HL).

Heh. You know what’s funny? Half-life is about 5 years old now. I remember when everyone was talking about how old doom was when it was 5... I guess it's safe to say that Half-life had faired better (as in more people still play it regularly) then doom did after 5 years (even though half life now exists as a bastardised, moron ridden mod).

There there vanilla half life. I still love you...

Hmmm, I wonder when we'll see half-life source ports?

Consider TCP/IP is supported in Half Life which began to get popular after Quake released, it's not very surprising, is it? There's still people who do not know about Doom multiplaying online and many of them do not even know it is possible to play Doom online. With the gaurantee of the support of TCP/IP, there's still lots of people playing Quake I and II online, TCP/IP should take all credits for it.

Ct_red_pants said:

Hmmm, I wonder when we'll see half-life source ports?

Ports for Half-Life? Are ports really necessary for games like Quake1, Quake2, and HalfLife? When I think of ports, I think Doom.

Quake has various source modifications like the original quakeworld, and now quakeforge, tenebrae, darkplaces (iirc) and loads of ports to other platforms like arm processors.

Quake2's source porting just got started, there's quake2max, quake2forge, etc., and similar ports to other platforms.

Half-Life has no source release and is still under development somewhat by the original developers, so there won't be any ports just yet.

Lizardcommando said:
Ports for Half-Life? Are ports really necessary for games like Quake1, Quake2, and HalfLife? When I think of ports, I think Doom.

Well, ports are useful for quake for things like coloured lighting, better GL usage and fancy effects ect. I donno, I wouldn't mind seeing detail textures or hi-res textures in half-life.

Lizard: Play tenebrae Q1 and then ask yourself if Quake needs a source port (I can assure you the answer will be YES)

Ct_red_pants said:

I donno, I wouldn't mind seeing detail textures or hi-res textures in half-life.

Detail textures are stupid. Give me per-pixel lighting and shadowing instead.

GooberMan said:

Lizard: Play tenebrae Q1 and then ask yourself if Quake needs a source port (I can assure you the answer will be YES)

I would if I owned Quake :p. I do, however own Quake2, but I doubt any of those ports will work on my shitty ass computer. (It can run normal Quake2 fairly decently at 300 x 400, but any higher than that and it's gonna REEEALLY slowdown!)

I'm glad it's using the Quake 3 engine, that'll mean I'll actually get a decent framerate (60 fps) runing it at 640X480X16 with all graphics up.