Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Peter Heinemann

Free Unreal in German game magazine

If you are able to obtain a copy of the German game magazine "Bravo Screenfun" (Euro 3.00) at your location and don´t have the game "Unreal" in your gamez shelf, go grab a copy of the magazine. :)

The accompanying CD of the issue No. 4/2003 (available by March, 19th here in Europe) will be loaded with a free full version of Unreal. An old game, but since Jay Willbur helped the Unreal team as an adviser, it has to do with Doom, from a longer distance.

Peter does not have that game yet and will get the mag :)

I've got the Unreal Gold package, got it for $10.00, comes with Unreal and Unreal : Return to Napali mission pack

i payed about $10 and got, Unreal and Unreal : Return to Napali mission pack AND UT.. never play them tho, always Doom... heh :)

Yeah, PC Powerplay did that in Australia last year, on both their PC and DVD versions. Since then they've released legal free versions of Command and Conquor(sp?), Red Alert, and Rainbow 6 Special Ops on their cover discs.

I bought Unreal for $12.50 and have only ever played the first three levels. There must be some magical border there; every time I cross that line, I quit the game, uninstall it and put the CD away.

Lord FlatHead said:
I bought Unreal for $12.50 and have only ever played the first three levels. There must be some magical border there; every time I cross that line, I quit the game, uninstall it and put the CD away.

Two years ago I picked up Unreal from a bargain bin for about 3 Euro. Anyway, I didn't much like the technological levels (base, spaceship) and the asteroid levels, but the temple and outdoor levels were simply amazing. I especially liked the monastery island.

I paid the full retail price :(

quite a lot of the levels suck (along with the first monster), but it has it's moments

I like the "stuck door" moment in the prison ship.

"Whuh, what the hell?"
(growl)
"Oh, shit, shit!"
(gunfire, loud growl, and a splatter)
"Oh my god! Oh god..."
(more growling)
"(whimpering)"
And the door opens, just as the Skarrj splatters the second guy and flees...

And there's yet another game that I have yet to play :(

Peter Heinemann said:

An old game, but since Jay Willbur helped the Unreal team as an adviser, it has to do with Doom, from a longer distance.

Also, quite a few of the levels were made by people who first made their reputation as Doom mappers (that's true for quite a lot of games, of course, but Unreal was one of the generation that immediately followed Doom).

Unreal is cool - definitely worth persevering past the first few levels if for some reason you get bogged down in them. Look here if you need hints or would like to see some nice screenshots from each level.

Trasher][ said:

"Whuh, what the hell?"
(growl)
"Oh, shit, shit!"
"Oh my god! Oh god..."
(more growling)
"(whimpering)"

Heh, I used to always try to run in, get the dispersion pistol, and fire after him. I caught on eventually...

Trasher][ said:

"Whuh, what the hell?"
(growl)
"Oh, shit, shit!"
"Oh my god! Oh god..."
(more growling)
"(whimpering)"

Heh. yeah. Here's hoping doom 3 has bits like that.

For the time, the Vortex Riker (the prison ship) was fuckin creepy. There I was, a 13-year-old keyboarder, playing on a riced up first-gen Pentium in software mode. I walk to the door, and hear the "jammed door" exchange described above. I just stared for five seconds, pressed escape, and silently quit the game and played Duke3d.

Holy geez, it was freaky for the time.

Rotting Corpse said:
I hate that damn rock throwing boss.

The Behemoth I think it's called. I liked them, although they do appear a bit too often.

[EDIT] Er, I mean Titan?

Lord FlatHead said:

Play Half-Life first. It's about 20 times better than Unreal IMO.

well, don't you think he should play Unreal first then?

Gunman Chronicles is an interesting game, though perhaps the weapons are a bit too complex. Some guns have several ways of firing or can overheat, and the missile launcher has about 20 different ways of firing.

Half-Life vs Unreal? I loved them both, though HL's initial appeal to me was far stronger due to its marvellous gameplay. Unreal really only grabbed me when I got a graphics card that could do it justice.

Heh, the sounds of the guy getting torn to shreds by the Skaarj on the other side of the door was fucking cool - it was the only part of Unreal that really appealed to me though.

Oh and I'm sure that Doom 3 is gonna have some cool stuff that could bury that scene - the engine sure is advanced enough to allow for stuff the looks really cool.

Imagine, seeing a guy get torn to pieces.