Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kinsie

My attempt at a tabletop card game thingy... (Test Card!)

Well, in a fit of boredom I've decided to pen up an original tabletop cardgame thingy based on the doom universe. I'm still writing the rules, but I'll show you my test card anyways, the Doom Marine.

http://www.geocities.com/rjtrasher/Doom/MarineCard.txt (<-- It's a PNG, but it's renamed to get past the Geocities image filter. I've linked it because it's too big to just post)

Keep in mind I'm not a graphics monkey.

Definitions used in the Statistics thingy...

HP: Healthpoints
AP: Armorpoints
CS: Carrying Space (for weapons and items, each will take up a number of spaces)
STA: Stamina, used to keep your unit going. If they get tired they can only move every second turn.
STR: Strength, for carrying bigger weapons, strength-based weapons like fists or a bayonet, and stuff like that.
SPD: Speed. The higher the speed, the further a unit can move each turn.

Still working on it, but give comments and suggestions anyway.

well, i've never actually played a tabletop card game, although my friend tried to teach me magic once, and i tried to learn the star wars game once. but, if you succesfully complete this, i'll buy all the cards and play this to death. the marine seems kinda weak, but i'll have to see the rest of the cards and the game to determine.

One thing to keep in mind when deciding is to keep down the amount of different counters, besides the cards themselves, needed.

In Magic the Gathering you only value you needed to keep a tab on was your life. Yes, cards requiring counters or producing token permanents were common, but these counters seldomly had very high values.

In Pokémon you only have to keep a tab on each individual creature's damage, which is easy since you only have few creatures in play simultaneously.

In Jyhad/Vampire (which was more similar to Pokémon than Magic) there was only one counter value; blood, which you had to distribute among your vampires and yourself.

Star Wars tried to remove counters altogether by letting the cards in your library be counters themselves.

What could let this game down is if you have to keep tab of a lot of different creatures' life values. After all this is Doom, not Pokémon and monsters come in hordes.

I'm keeping it it mind guys. Any subtractions to anything other than HP, AP and CS will only last for a number of turns.

I'll do a test ITEM card tonight.

el zee said:

cool

maybe you could market it and sell for $10 a pack!

heh

Er, no. If I finish this, the main attraction will be that it'll be free and you won't have to shell out tons.

Trasher][ said:
Er, no. If I finish this, the main attraction will be that it'll be free and you won't have to shell out tons.

even better.

Little Faith said:

Why not make it a board game instead?

It'll have board-game style elements when moving characters around, sorta like Warhammer games, except you don't have to take a bank loan out to buy it.

You know, all these Doom cards would appeal to me a lot more if they had some fan made art on them instead of just taking art from other sources (like the game itself).

It's not that the idea is bad or anything and it's still a sort of fan art I guess, but personally, I like to look at what other people can cook up with their artist skills.

As I said, I can't do good doom art.

Anyways, if everyone teamed up for one, it would rock.

If you plan out more cards, maybe others can start coming up with art for them. I suck at characters, but I can do landscapes alright. And Im always looking for new inspiration.

If someone wants to make a prettier "base" card for all the info, go ahead. I'm accepting ANY ideas and help on this. ANY, you hear me? ANY!