Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

alright, being as i'm mainly a musician, and i'm a fanatic, i should be more compelled to get off my lazy ass and look for things myself, but i don't.

i've been writing a lot of songs lately, in midi, as a way to get a basic idea usually but mainly so i can sequence it, then use it to record real audio versions later. i've run into a couple obstacles, one being i'm poor and can't afford that fancy yamaha qy-70 or that roland fantom (although if i quit buying ciggies) and two, my sound card sucks. i mainly use quartz audiomaster freeware to sequence but everytime i export to midi, it gives me a two second gap. does anyone know of any free midi editing programs that don't leave that two second gap, and possibly contain their own sound sampling in the download? also, anyone know of any freeware drum machines? i don't get my license til june so i won't have money or a job til then, and my assistant producer lives an hour away but on the other hand i'm about 70% close to getting the album done. any help is thanked. although i doubt i'm gonna get anywhere without any cash.

Well, I don't know crap about making music. But if you figure it out could you make me some midi's for my wad? :-)

You could grab a Soundblaster for $30 and download some free studio quality soundfont from the 'net.

Fredrik said:

You could grab a Soundblaster for $30 and download some free studio quality soundfont from the 'net.

Or get a proper soundcard from TerraTec.

Shaviro said:

Or get a proper soundcard from TerraTec.

monochrome said:

one being i'm poor

You can get good (better than Creative's) TerraTec cards from less than $20 and up!

Blah. Arguing about the brand is beside the point. Just get a cheap decent soundcard (SB qualifies, and I can't speak for Terratec because I haven't used one).

Hmmm....2 second gap? I'm not quite sure what you mean by "exporting to midi". In Cakewalk, I just save as a midi directly. I would look into going to your local music store and ask them for the cheapest MIDI sequencing program they have. Or if you can afford it, CakeWalk Pro Audio. But, then again if you want vitrual instruments with the package, I'm not sure where to go. You could always go, buy Cakewalk, and then go and download WinGroove, which is shareware (just won't export a song loger than 1 minute to wave). Or a demo of one of the softsynths like the Roland Virtual SoundCanvas. But, if you'd rather use real instruments (my prefrence), go and get a cheap synth like a Casio WK-1630. They sound pretty damned good for being in the $200 range (if you want a demo, let me know). Or, go and get a module from the Roland JV series. They're only about $400 (if you want a demo of these, let me know too). A MIDI cable that hooks into the joystick port is pretty cheap, and then you could use any MIDI-compatable keyboard or module.

Later on, if you want to avoid any synch problems with the joystick cable, go and get a USB MidiSport from MidiMan.

Really, if you went with hardware synths, your soundcard wouldn't matter that much. My SB-16 has worked just fine for a helluva long time.

SBLive/Audigy cards will never give you CD-quality MIDI, no matter how good the samples are. It may be near-CD quality, but you'll never get the level of clarity, cleanliness, and crispness that virtually any recording studio delivers.

If there's just a 2-second gap of silence in the final WAV save, then you could simply use Goldwave to edit it out.

could you explain this two-second gap a little more?

Scientist said:

Well, I don't know crap about making music. But if you figure it out could you make me some midi's for my wad? :-)

Yeah, me too...? Ill hook you up with a little some thing for your troubles?

If you can't afford a new sound card you can always use a softsynth like XG, Wingroove, etc, for MIDI output.

Stealthy Ivan, Scientist: yeah, i could make midi's for your levels. i'd have to see the levels first to get an idea, but it probably wouldn't be too big of a deal.

concerning the two second gap: when i export my sequencing as a midi file in quartz audio master, it adds a slight delay in the beginning of the song; go my my website and listen to the 'the day after' midi; it's supposed to start immediatly, but it has that gap.

monochrome said:

Stealthy Ivan, Scientist: yeah, i could make midi's for your levels. i'd have to see the levels first to get an idea, but it probably wouldn't be too big of a deal.

Thanks! :-) I'll sent you a mail.

monochrome said:

concerning the two second gap: when i export my sequencing as a midi file in quartz audio master, it adds a slight delay in the beginning of the song; go my my website and listen to the 'the day after' midi; it's supposed to start immediatly, but it has that gap.

I just had a thought. Maybe it's purposly adding that so that the synth has enough time to get all the controllers and other stuff set and such. You may not be using that many, but it's going to put that in there by default. I always have to add a 1/1 measure of nothing at the beginning of a midi file to keep it from skipping at the very beginning.

I happen to know a guy who makes MIDIs. That's his specialty. But he only does it for certain video games. He posts his work on http://vgmusic.com/ (you've heard of it, right? hell, it used to be hosted by UGO). He's come through for me on other occasions beside my Doom levels.

But it's funny: few people do both (make MIDIs and Doom wads). I met one such person on vgmusic who made a MIDI for a rather old PC game, and asked for another MIDI from that game for my wad. He said he used to edit wads and sent me ond of his old ones. Small world, I said...

netnomad312 said:

But it's funny: few people do both (make MIDIs and Doom wads).

I wonder how many people actually do this...I know I write midis for my wads (as well as midis for my one-man band). But, I wonder who else does...

TeamKill said:

I wonder how many people actually do this...I know I write midis for my wads (as well as midis for my one-man band). But, I wonder who else does...

me. although the wad i'm working on (with dingus khan) is far from near being revealed, sadly.

Heh, I make MIDIs sometimes. Although most MIDI editing programs suck, so that kinda puts me off.

If only Modplug Tracker could do MIDI's properly...

TeamKill said:

Me! Although I've recently also been making .FLPs (which can later be turned into .MP3, .OGG, etc) for a couple of ZDoom projects.

See http://uk.geocities.com/nb_nmare/musicbyme.html (note that Haunted Wastes and Implicit Evil are both missing atm). Yes, I know: Geoshities, crap, retarded, useless etc, etc.

MIDI owns j00. I reckon a portable MIDI player would own for doomy goodness heh

I like MOD over MIDI, but I still listen to my MIDI. Certian CMF files are cool too, but the only good CMF player (that I know of) is Drum Blaster. (There's a QBasic one, but the songs are missing percussion).