Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stealthy Ivan

After DooM 3...?

After Doom3 comes out, what do you think will become of doomworld? I think it will be a good boost of new doomers for the community. I see people around here tend to make fun of the newbies and talk down to them (which is kinda wrong). These new people are whats keeping doom alive and are a good thing (even though the newbies sometimes say stupid shit). But hey, it happens...
I think after doom 3 we will see a new batch of doomers and a lot more good things to come (like new doom3 level editors and new mappers!!!). Plus the so called "newbies" will probably support the older versions of doom also. So Doomworld future seem bright to me (or maybe im just fucked up?)!!!

maybe there will be 2 sites ie "www.doom3world.com" and plain old "www.doomworld.com"

Wrong Forum

Now, You're Wrong. This is the right forum, it's more focused on the Doomworld community more than Doom 3.

I agree, I think it'll bring new Doomers to our community. Those who have never played the older Dooms might even be tempted to look at them, and perhaps we could even gain some new doom editors from them.

Probably a significant boost in members, but I doubt things will be fundamentally changed.

I don't think sensible n00bs are received badly here; it is only the silly ones (or those who inadvertently do something bad or annoying) that get a rough ride.

Melfice Darkmage said:

Hmm...me wonders what kind of mods will come from Doom 3.

Lüt 2

Oh...THAT kind of mod...

Maybe the community will be sliced in 2. One is us still playing the old Doom plus the new doom and the others only playing Doom 3 and saying Doom sucks because of it's crappy graphics and it's an old game. A boost in members will definitly happen and already starting.

I think there will be two distinct communities for each games.

They are far too different to be shoved together in one heap. The only place where they could fully converge would probably be the Fanfic/fanpic area since they share the same storyline.

In fact I am in favour of two news pages, one for classic Doom and one for Doom 3. Otherwise I fear they are going to be too clogged.

Little Faith said:

I think there will be two distinct communities for each games.

They are far too different to be shoved together in one heap. The only place where they could fully converge would probably be the Fanfic/fanpic area since they share the same storyline.

In fact I am in favour of two news pages, one for classic Doom and one for Doom 3. Otherwise I fear they are going to be too clogged.

Good idea.

Also, IMO people don't pick on newbies per se, just dumb newbies. If you think this is bad you should try some Quake and other FPS boards..

Darkstalker said:

Maybe the community will be sliced in 2. One is us still playing the old Doom plus the new doom and the others only playing Doom 3 and saying Doom sucks because of it's crappy graphics and it's an old game. A boost in members will definitly happen and already starting.

If there will be Members who say that the old Doom sucks in one of the forums I moderate, I'll just delete their posts - maybe even ban them if they persist too much.
It is ok not to be a fan of the original, but to start dissing it in front of all the old-school fans is stupid - and I know that I won't want to keep such posts around, unless they're funny and add goodies to the forum.

dsm said:

If there will be Members who say that the old Doom sucks in one of the forums I moderate, I'll just delete their posts - maybe even ban them if they persist too much.
It is ok not to be a fan of the original, but to start dissing it in front of all the old-school fans is stupid - and I know that I won't want to keep such posts around, unless they're funny and add goodies to the forum.

which people who say classic Doom sucks and instead they go for Doom 3 are simply graphics hogs. Neither they truly look for game factors, nor they like the actual game.

999cop said:

which people who say classic Doom sucks and instead they go for Doom 3 are simply graphics hogs.

Doom 3 isnt out yet. You have no way of knowing what the gameplay is going to be like. Claiming such people will "only care about graphics" when the game isnt even out yet is stupid in the extreme.

This kind of attitude that Doom is some kind of untoppable game that will never ever be beat is ridiculous. Obviously its a great game, but other great games will come too.

dsm said:

Hell yeah...! No one has the right to come on here and talk shit about doom. The way I see it is "If you dont like doom, then why the hell are you here"?

Stealthy Ivan said:

Hell yeah...! No one has the right to come on here and talk shit about doom.

Ahem...

The first amendment said:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

pritch said:

Is this an American website or is it governed by international laws? o_O

Some theories say that, since the physical server is in the States, it falls under U.S. law. Others say that there is no way to enforce a government's law on teh Web.

I'm in the latter camp. :)

These forums may have similarities to a democracy, but it is no democracy afaik.
You're not allowed to say everthing here - else nobody would be banned and these boards would be full of raving morons.

fraggle said:

Doom 3 isnt out yet. You have no way of knowing what the gameplay is going to be like. Claiming such people will "only care about graphics" when the game isnt even out yet is stupid in the extreme.

This kind of attitude that Doom is some kind of untoppable game that will never ever be beat is ridiculous. Obviously its a great game, but other great games will come too.

as a matter of fact, it is close to time to jump to the final conclusion about that atitude. For instance, friends around me at school are mostly counter strike fans, as soon as they heard that I am still playing Doom then they all start laughing at it and making fun of the game. Insulting the game that has been so old with dull graphics. Then the next thing I told them in response that details of Doom 3 are going to blow everything else away and the only expression on their face was just drooling their eyes and leave their mouth wide open, in another words, moronically speechless. But of course I was only referring to certain people, not everyone necessarily

After doom 3.....the earth with all of a sudden stop spinning and everything on its surface will go flying then it will start up again instantly but going the opposite way and all the matter will come tumbeling towards the surface again.
p.s and there will be no beer and lots of misquitos.

Tyockell said:

After doom 3.....the earth with all of a sudden stop spinning and everything on its surface will go flying then it will start up again instantly but going the opposite way and all the matter will come tumbeling towards the surface again.
p.s and there will be no beer and lots of misquitos.

NO! They'll never take me alive!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

dsm said:

Just don't forget to do the same for the Orignal Doom people who do the same to doom 3.

Epyo said:

NO! They'll never take me alive!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

lol its already to late...there watching you right now.

Ct_red_pants said:

Just don't forget to do the same for the Orignal Doom people who do the same to doom 3.

Of course not - I have already dealt with a few of those, and if I didn't kill their posts, it was because the response from the other Members was fun to watch ;-)

Methinks there will be new forums on the Doom3 area of the Doomworld VB, like "Editing", "Mods, Skins etc." "Multiplayer", maybe even "Questions", who knows.

All I know is that there WILL be a newbie influx. And there WILL be blood.

Which is why I'm working on some forum pics for such an occasion.

Trasher][ said:
Which is why I'm working on some forum pics for such an occasion.

Oh, good idea! eh, I'll do it later.