Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Carnevil

TUTORIAL: Creating your own announcer!

Today we're going to learn how to create our VERY OWN ANNOUNCER in Skulltag! Cool, huh?

First, Skulltag supports up to 32 announcer profiles at once. That means you can load up and choose between 32 different announcers. Skulltag by default only has one profile. You can choose your announcer profile by going into the player setup menu under "Multiplayer".

To add your own announcer profile to Skulltag, you will need to load in a wad with an ANCRINFO lump in it. The ANCRINFO lump is simply a textfile that contains the name of the profile, and links to different sounds based on the different announcer events. Let's look at Skulltag's ANCRINFO lump:

{
name = "Skulltag announcer"
}

We must first start off with an open brace ("{") to indicate we're making a new profile. THIS IS A MUST!

Next, we begin defining all the fields of the profile. We first give our profile a name. In this case, it's "Skulltag Announcer". If we just do that, put in an end brace ("}"), our new profile will be listed in Skulltag, and we'll be able to select it!

... of course, that's probably not enough. We still haven't defined which sounds to play for the different announcer events. Let's take a look at how we do that:

{
name = "Skulltag announcer"
accuracy = announcer/default/accuracy
blueflagreturned = announcer/default/blueflagreturned
blueflagtaken = announcer/default/blueflagtaken
bluescores = announcer/default/bluescores
}

So first, we define the name as "Skulltag announcer". Then, we define the accuracy sound as "announcer/default/accuracy", and the blueflagreturned sound as "announcer/default/blueflagreturned", etc. You get the idea.

Now, some of you may be wondering why when we define the sound to play for a particular event, it's something like "announcer/default/accuracy" instead of something like "DSPAIN". That's because ZDoom (and thus Skulltag) uses SNDINFO lumps to map which sounds to play. Like the ANCRINFO lump, you may define as many SNDINFO lumps as you want. Let's take a look at the section of Skulltag's SNDINFO lump where we define the announcer sounds:

// ANNOUNCER SOUNDS

announcer/default/strength asstr
announcer/default/rage asrage
announcer/default/drain asdrain
announcer/default/spread asspread

And there you have it! announcer/default/strength is mapped to the ASSTR sound lump in skulltag.wad, etc. etc. So, if in our ANCRINFO lump, we have:

strength = announcer/default/strength

And in our SNDINFO lump we have:

announcer/default/strength asstr

... the ASSTR sound lump will be played when we have a "Strength" event (which happens when we pick up the strength rune)!

I've put up an example wad here, which wad made with the Q3A announcer sounds. Feel free to use it as a reference, or play with it.

Happy fragging! :)

You should implement some sort of scripting language so people can define events and new sounds to go with them. Of course that sort of thing would probably go hand in hand with a scriptable AI system anyway...

Bloodshedder said:

The TTS stands for Text-to-Speech, damnit.

omg boobs!

Carnevil said:

I've put up an example wad here, which wad made with the Q3A announcer sounds. Feel free to use it as a reference, or play with it.

Happy fragging! :)

OMG! I updated the Quake 3 announcer wad with more sounds for v0.94c. Go grab it and stick it in your \ANNOUNCER directory!

Carnevil said:

OMG! I updated the Quake 3 announcer wad with more sounds for v0.94c. Go grab it and stick it in your \ANNOUNCER directory!

OMG! It was updated again. There were some events missing from it.

Go get it!

But why would anyone want to use anything other than the default announcer who is so sexy and cool?

^_^

Mancubus II said:

But why would anyone want to use anything other than the default announcer who is so sexy and cool?

^_^

Because q3a_ancr.wad exists >:)

999cop said:

3ddownloads blows

You are correct sir

Maybe someone would like to mirror q3a_ancr.wad

And WHEN did I EVER say it meant ass spread?! You're all a bunch of perverts!!

Queues are really bad on us 56K users. Especially when you wait 20 minutes to actually get to download the file, and then it only gets half and is corrupted, and you have to do it again.

Nanami said:

Queues are really bad on us 56K users. Especially when you wait 20 minutes to actually get to download the file, and then it only gets half and is corrupted, and you have to do it again.

Mmm, I see. I didn't realize it was so bad for 56k users.

But, nothing to worry about. Future versions of ST will be mirrored.