Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maxhwillson1224

Doom II Backwards WAD

I made a Doom II Backwards WAD, the last map is the first map and the first map is the last map. The only map that is in order is Map07 and that's because of the Demon death programming. I did tweak the map though. 

I edited the original Doom II WAD and tested the game using zdoom.

I don't have a lot of time on my hand so I didn't include a video or had time to edit the map names or switch the music around in the correct order. If any of you want to do that, I'm totally fine with that. Have fun! 

Edited by Maxhwillson1224

Really Max, you're gonna do this? You're a talented and smart guy don't do this. Not trying to be mean and I like you but really?

I'm a big Doom 2 fan, so I actually kinda like the idea, unfortunately I can't get out of the exit room just booting it up in DSDA-Doom, the first lift is incompletely tagged...

But wait, it does actually seem to work on -complevel 2, limit removing.  For what it's worth.

Dsda-doom is a sourceport, like the one you used for testing the wad (Zdoom)

Is there anything else that you've done to the levels, besides changing the default level order? I mean, some minor changes as the enemy placement, changing how special events operate, or at the very least put the player start somewhere else other than its default, vanilla position?

Edit: So out of my sheer curiosity, I went ahead and downloaded the archive to see how much the maps differ from their vanilla counterparts. Let me just say; please remove this before you're to get in any trouble over this, since if you're not aware, redistributing unaltered vanilla game's assets is strictly forbidden and falls under warez, as the game is still being currently sold. 

And before you say so, altering their order does not classify them as being "modified". They're all the same levels, played in exactly the same manner, with no alterations made to them in any given way.

Edited by Amaruψ

10 minutes ago, Amaruψ said:

Is there anything else that you've done to the levels, besides changing the default level order? I mean, some minor changes as the enemy placement, changing how special events operate, or at the very least put the player start somewhere else other than its default, vanilla position?

I've only played tru map 01 (icon o' sin) and map 02 (The Living End) and the player spawns are atleast different, starting out where the original level literally ends.

No Johnny Romeo head or monster spawners in the IoS, and the teleporters in Living End's lava pits just bring you back to the end... right in front of revenants, mancubi, and the Cyberdemon

14 minutes ago, Amaruψ said:

They're all the same levels, played in exactly the same manner, with no alterations made to them in any given way.

Are you sure you actually loaded the WAD? The levels clearly have been modified, and not just to swap the exit and start locations. For example, The Spirit World has its shootable door placed on the inside of the room instead of outside, and various other switches are also reversed to account for the reversed progression. You won't be seeing this on /idgames due to this being obviously modified IWAD levels, but I doubt that was in OP's goals anyway.

7 minutes ago, Shepardus said:

Are you sure you actually loaded the WAD? The levels clearly have been modified, and not just to swap the exit and start locations. For example, The Spirit World has its shootable door placed on the inside of the room instead of outside, and various other switches are also reversed to account for the reversed progression. You won't be seeing this on /idgames due to this being obviously modified IWAD levels, but I doubt that was in OP's goals anyway.

16 minutes ago, No-Man Baugh said:

I've only played tru map 01 (icon o' sin) and map 02 (The Living End) and the player spawns are atleast different, starting out where the original level literally ends.

No Johnny Romeo head or monster spawners in the IoS, and the teleporters in Living End's lava pits just bring you back to the end... right in front of revenants, mancubi, and the Cyberdemon

Ah, my bad then. I'm lying in the bed with a fever, so I simply skimmed over a few levels within the level editor. 

Apologies for any inconvenience, especially to the author.

9 hours ago, Amaruψ said:

Edit: So out of my sheer curiosity, I went ahead and downloaded the archive to see how much the maps differ from their vanilla counterparts. Let me just say; please remove this before you're to get in any trouble over this, since if you're not aware, redistributing unaltered vanilla game's assets is strictly forbidden and falls under warez, as the game is still being currently sold. 

And before you say so, altering their order does not classify them as being "modified". They're all the same levels, played in exactly the same manner, with no alterations made to them in any given way.

The maps are literally in reverse, each map starts at the exit point and the entry points are the exit points. Some keys have been thrown out or swapped around. This is not the same game as Doom II. The final map has a new boss fight.

11 hours ago, JustAthel said:

So if I'm reading this right, you're ... distributing modified IWAD levels??

Is this a no no in the community? If so I can delete it. 

19 hours ago, Maxhwillson1224 said:

I edited the original Doom II WAD

I can't tell if this was being lazy and switching the start and exit arounds or like JustAthel said distributing modified IWADS.

38 minutes ago, Maxhwillson1224 said:

Is this a no no in the community? If so I can delete it. 

A pretty big no no, yeah. I believe it counts as warez, seeing as how Doom and Doom 2 are on sale to this day. There have been other ways the original Doom 2 levels have been shared essentially for free in the past, some more questionable than others. The project that fai1025 posted in this thread is one of those that's acceptable because it's not exactly the same IWAD levels, they're recreations running with the same theme as the levels. There's also a WAD where it has every single Doom and Doom 2 level connected as one big map, but I think some members of the community here would be pretty split on whether that would be acceptable or not.

Keep in mind, I have not yet managed to actually look into your WAD, however, by the sound of things, it sounds like all that was done was a few line special swaps and some player replacement. Also keep in mind I'm no community expert so I could be completely talking out my rear end, but seeing some of the other reactions from this thread, I feel that's more than enough to reach a sort of general consensus on this sort of thing.

You can do the same with an umapinfo file without having to include the maps in the wad, so It's legal to distribute.

2 hours ago, spineapple tea said:

Where do you think you are?

Just saying Doom II has been wildly outclassed by a lot of custom maps, the original levels are just crude by today's standards.