Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
matador

DBP62: Haunting Hollow

Excellent as always. Gave this a go trying to play quick instead of cautious for fdas: dbp62-ryiron.zip

map01: Nice opener. I like the freak-out with the vile.

map02: Good step up in difficulty.

map03: The path to the yellow key felt like it should be a secret. I expected the key to be on the imp pillar instead.

map04: Not sure if I missed something obvious or skipped a trigger somewhere, but I honestly couldn't figure out how to progress. Sorry.

map05: Dumb death number one.

map06: Love the atmosphere in this map. Strange, spooky wasteland floating in the void. Really thought that vile was going down.

map07: Probably my favourite of the set. Great combat.

map08: Found the progression in this one fairly confusing. Got stuck wandering around a few times. I do like the graveyard vibes though. Another dumb death.

map09: Bit too yolo at the start. Did I miss some armor somewhere?

map10: Another insta-death. Second attempt I got hooked on some geometry and ate a cyber rocket. Fun combat though.

The switch/door to the plasma gun in map 04 seems to only activate in Boom, so it's impossible to progress in complevel 2.

2 hours ago, Hasamnas said:

The switch/door to the plasma gun in map 04 seems to only activate in Boom, so it's impossible to progress in complevel 2.

I was just gonna write how I have no idea how to progress in MAP04 on complevel 2, thanks for this.

Very cool I love a good spooky map for the Halloween season.

Edited by Rex705

The wad was updated, link should be the same
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/c0f3e4bnsff8pgnk2ikly/DBP_62.zip?rlkey=58iqg2sc5iwbfrsjv4vh84tjo&dl=0

Spoiler

MAP01 added a secret for 100% secrets
MAP02 added a secret for 100% secrets
MAP04 floors that wouldn't lower now lower.
MAP07 Changed the red door markers to yellow
MAP11 Added an imp that gets crushed, an armor bonus, and a secret sector for 100% Kills/Items/Secrets

v1.1 is here (the link is the same)!

Changelog:

Spoiler

* MAP01: Has a secret for 100% secrets

* MAP02: Has a secret for 100% secrets

* MAP04: Floors that wouldn't lower should now lower

* MAP07: Red door markers have been changed to yellow.
* MAP11: Has a imp that gets crushed, an armor bonus and a secret sector for 100% kills/items/secrets

Nevermind, BiZ beat me to the punch.

Great stuff guys, I'm on map 8 at the moment. The first few levels felt relatively easy but I'm starting to feel the pressure in the cramped set pieces. I see a lot of parallels between this and Mausoleum Nefarium, though I find the aesthetics here to be more pleasing.

Edit: small bug to report - a HOMish effect on MAP08. Location marked on automap.

doom26.png

doom27.png

Edited by DreadWanderer

i like the out of box thinking yall came up with for this mod. and the music is very groovy :)

Very good stuff. Found a problem in map06, the platform with the red key dosen't lower making impossible to leave the area and progres with the map:

screenshot_gzdoom_DBP_62.png.31b64af83c1af2c362b01d441894de40.png

screenshot_gzdoom_DBP_62.png.33905706376dc000bcceea251683925e.png

Source port: GZDoom 4.11 (complevel: doom-strict)

1 hour ago, matador said:

I've updated the OP with v1.2: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/yhvu2llsz0062p1694yd3/DBP_62_v1.2.zip?rlkey=zfdfk1a37572831i6d0f0b1ms&dl=1

Changes:

Reveal hidden contents

- MAP07: Fixed a potential softlock.

- MAP08: Uses an updated version of the map, fixes the HOM mentioned in this thread.

- Includes an optional HUD replacement (and widescreen variant) by an anonymous donor.

Thank you for the prompt patching. Completed it today and I gotta say 'Aurora' is really amazing. 'Green Fairy' is a bit of a weird last map with the tight slaughtery gameplay, I think 'Aurora' would have made a more compelling finale (perhaps with some difficulty adjustments between 9 and 10), but that's about it in terms of critique.

3 hours ago, Auron said:

Very good stuff. Found a problem in map06, the platform with the red key dosen't lower making impossible to leave the area and progres with the map:

Source port: GZDoom 4.11 (complevel: doom-strict)

Thank you. The source of the problem seems to be GZDoom's compatibility option "Use Doom's floor motion behavior". I'm not sure why this happens; the map works perfectly fine in Boom or DSDA-Doom with -cl 2. I'll look into this later.

I always enjoy these projects. Got a good nostalgia hit for MAP02 using the mossy brick texture and midi from Onslaught 3. As a bit of trivia the midi used for MAP02 is Cathode Ray Sunshine by Dark Tranquillity.

I think i found a softlock in map 8 :) if i walk behind the elevator that lowers the yellow key and it goes up again i can't get out. Not sure if intentional :)

Spoiler

softedit666.png.6cd86b571ba026b034a63d7ac9048bb9.png

Spoiler

soft2.jpg.3217285a754efb0581c935116820a353.jpg

7 hours ago, natashanightmare said:

I think i found a softlock in map 8 :) if i walk behind the elevator that lowers the yellow key and it goes up again i can't get out. Not sure if intentional :)

Is this in the v1.2 version or the v1.1/v1.0 version? I haven't double-checked yet but this should be fixed in the new version, the older versions had an older version of the map.

On 10/2/2023 at 12:36 AM, matador said:

Also, DBP63: Terminal Velocity will be a two-month project and will see release in December 2023.

Are you guys planning on doing another Christmas DBP for this year?

3 hours ago, matador said:

Is this in the v1.2 version or the v1.1/v1.0 version? I haven't double-checked yet but this should be fixed in the new version, the older versions had an older version of the map.

Oh i think i have 1.0 or 1.1 since i downloaded it on 2nd october, my bad :)

40 minutes ago, NaliSeed said:

Started out pretty good, but unfortunately the later levels  devolved into slaughter maps. 

That's generally how DBPs flow. If that's a problem for you, then I advise playing something else.

On 10/3/2023 at 2:58 PM, Havoc Crow said:

Thank you. The source of the problem seems to be GZDoom's compatibility option "Use Doom's floor motion behavior". I'm not sure why this happens; the map works perfectly fine in Boom or DSDA-Doom with -cl 2. I'll look into this later.

Can confirm the problem is related to the latest gzdoom official version (4.11). I moved back to a dev-build version for 4.11 and the maps works just fine with doom-strict compatibility. 

Completed the whole thing today (and caught up to nearly every DBP to ever be released). Among other things, noticed MAP04 has a bridge locking up (for no legitimate reason) after you get the last key.

That, and MAP07, at least when I tried to run it through RetroArch (so lr-prboom, the shitty port) had one missing texture and one missing flat at the same spot. Funnily enough, even though it has UMAPINFO support, I saw a text screen with "THE END" before said level popped up.

425136499_DBP62-HauntingHollow-231005-231433.png.1b0bc07a13a2a258c87f7e67d64762cf.png

494459263_DBP62-HauntingHollow-231005-231321.png.6ab8a489117b422e95c5a94a44bf726a.png