Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Joe Doom

Ogg

I was looking at the information on the UT2003 bonus pack and one of the features was a custom music folder for OGG files. How are they different from mp3s?

Any version of Winamp that's 2.80 or higher will play Ogg.

They're basically twice as good as MP3.

Quality 0 is great, but go for Quality 2 is safe, Quality 10 is "best" for sound quality but the compression = laughable, as the outputted file is usually around 10-15 mb or so.

ogg is a compressed audio format akin to mp3, although it uses a different (and better) method of encoding. oggs give better filesize for quality then mp3s do. they also have a 'real' tagging system, as opposed to mp3s id tags, which are essentially hacks. and, ogg is open-source to boot.

ogg uses VBR (variable bitrate) by default. this means that unlike 99% of mp3s shared on p2p networks, which encode an entire piece of audio with a constant bitrate (usually 128-192 kbps), ogg 'scales' the bitrate depending on how hard part of a wav is to encode. it uses 'quality settings' ranging from 0 (worst) to 10 (best) to decide how close to the original wav the ogg should sound.

ogg is a great format, but it should be kept in mind that there are negatives, even if they're picky. it's not yet a 'mainstream' format and it has about another year, maybe more before everything supports it. it applies 'joint stereo' ('meshing' of stereo channels to knock the filesize down) to any ogg encoded with a quality setting below q6, with no switch or parameter to disable it. the ogg encoder lacks 'intelligent' vbr like LAME's (mp3 encoder) --alt-preset encoding switches.

read up or download encoding tools/media player plugins at http://vorbis.com

And even a 0 quality setting isn't any worse than the best 128kbps MP3. My entire music hoard, except for 2 CD's that I screwed up while encoding, are set at 0 out of 10 quality. Indistingushible from CD quality while listening to it.

So yes, 10 quality is probably 8-10 times bigger than 0 quality, and it's just a teensy tiny little bit better. I can't imagine why anyone would ever use anything higher than 0 with Ogg. 0 is just totally optimal.

not worse than a 128kbps mp3 isn't saying much =)

depends on the music. i have some stuff that sounds pretty damn bad in -q0.

and i *hate* joint stereo

Lüt said:
I wouldn't recommend encoding to it for at least a year or two.

OGG is definitely superior to MP3. It isn't quite clear which wins at high bitrates, but even I, who aren't an audiophile, can tell the difference on anything lower than 160 kbps. I've also noticed that OGG compression is faster (at least on my computer).

Hmm, I tried Ogg Vorbis, IMO they don't give the same depth of sound as MP3. Not enough bass/treble.

ZarcyB said:

Hmm, I tried Ogg Vorbis, IMO they don't give the same depth of sound as MP3. Not enough bass/treble.

Well I gess its not the same as mp3 then......

ZarcyB said:

Must be something about your settings then :)

Janderson said:

Well I gess its not the same as mp3 then......

What made you think that in the first place anyway?

I have lots of OGGs and on this machine cannot tell the difference between them and 192kbps mp3s. But the file size is typically about a third smaller. And I spose you might hear that quality difference on top notch audio.

pritch said:

I have lots of OGGs and on this machine cannot tell the difference between them and 192kbps mp3s. But the file size is typically about a third smaller. And I spose you might hear that quality difference on top notch audio.

Two thirds smaller, or a third of the size.

I find that Ogg music generally averages around 58 kbps, and classical music anywhere from 30kbps (stereo) to 50kbps.

I don't understand your yambling about Ogg being ABR at all... So it's not true VBR, whatever you consider that to be anyway. So? It's still a superior compression to MP3, and will out on portables soon.