Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Ultimate DooMer

The /newstuff Chronicles #121

Bella is quite interesting with lots of variety and great gameplay.

Thus far I've managed to complete UV recordings of the first four maps and had a lot of fun doing so. I agree that at times you have to find some hidden ammo or move forward from the fight to get more but that's part of the challenge. I've noticed a few minor problems but they can be fixed.

Good megawad so far! Now, on to map 5. :)

Ian Cunnings, if you're out there... rebuild your level! the map looks great but the reject is all messed up. re-release it when you rebuild it and it will be an awesome level.

Yes I noticed that in the review...

Bit of a pain really, I used what I thought was a better nodebuilder for the final build of the map. It seemed to get rid of a few (well actually I think it was only 1) visplane errors, but obviously screwed the monsters up too. That'll learn me not to playtest it properly the final time round.

Anyway. I've rebuilt and uploaded it again, so it should work properly now.

Heh, just played Bella. It was alright, though like everyone else has already said, there was quite an abundance of Cybers. I got killed just past the blue door room in level two by one. Damn Paul and his CyberDemon fixation! But seriously, it was OK, though The Death Domain looks kinda 1995-ish to me. Oh well.

I'm playing thorough Bella and so far I think it's...

pretty shit.

I don't mind stealth monsters but almost every single damn one here is stealth which screws the gameplay. Too many cybers and I can't work out where the hell I'm supposed to be, on a base, in a hell place or what.

I know some people like these sorts of maps but I find them frustrating, gimmicky and silly.

Rich said:

Bella is quite interesting with lots of variety and great gameplay.

Thus far I've managed to complete UV recordings of the first four maps and had a lot of fun doing so. I agree that at times you have to find some hidden ammo or move forward from the fight to get more but that's part of the challenge. I've noticed a few minor problems but they can be fixed.

Good megawad so far! Now, on to map 5. :)

I've continued my attempts at UV recordings of bella.wad and have now completed nine of the twelve maps. I still find it a good variety as well as a challenge. Map 3 and map 10 will not exit using Legacy but my friend Gene Bird found the exit triggers do work in Zdoom, which is what it is designed for.

In contrast to the other levels map 10 has turned out to be extremely simple. Perhaps Paul decided to give us a break. :)

pritch said:

I'm playing thorough Bella and so far I think it's...

pretty shit.

I don't mind stealth monsters but almost every single damn one here is stealth which screws the gameplay. Too many cybers and I can't work out where the hell I'm supposed to be, on a base, in a hell place or what.

I know some people like these sorts of maps but I find them frustrating, gimmicky and silly.

I fully and wholeheartedly agree. This was an atrociously bad wad. It looks ugly and gameplay is among the worst I encountered recently. Wad of the week - this must really have been a week in Hell!

This abomination survived 10 minutes on my HD before I sent it where it belongs.

pritch and Graf Zahl: I can heartily recommend "uh, I dunno, shall I give it one?". No stealth monsters, just the right number of cyberdemons, it's always clear where you are (in a tip), and there's 1337 gameplay!

I do not understand above post.

Anyway, the wad is just okay. Not great, okay.

Deja vu!

Grazza said:

pritch and Graf Zahl: I can heartily recommend "uh, I dunno, shall I give it one?". No stealth monsters, just the right number of cyberdemons, it's always clear where you are (in a tip), and there's 1337 gameplay!

Please explain yourself.

It wasn't a very serious recommendation, but 6lev.wad doesn't suffer from some of the problems pritch described, and there is some fun to be had with it. I happily whiled away several hours trying to do the first map on NM Pacifist, for instance.

Oh I get it, "Uh, I dunno should I give it one" is one of the wads this week! Alright, glad I'm sorted.

EDIT: Oh and happy birthday UD, though I'm a little late, huh.

stealth arch viles have to be one of the stupidest ideas i've ever seen in a doom .wad, just thought i'd pop in and say that, now back to bella

then a cyberdemon right afterwards! Okay, I like hard levels, I love AV, best megawad I've ever played, but this thing is just stupidly hard. You don't need 3 arch viles, a cyberdemon, 6 or so mancubi and a room full of hell knights in the first half of the first level! You don't need it! Smaller enemies would work just as fine if used correctly, hell they may provide even more of a challenge, but it seems as though gameplay was thrown out the window in favor of a ridiculously hard set of levels which really have no reason to be this stupidly hard...on a lighter note, killing all these guys is kind of a fun little challenge

Jello said:

stealth arch viles have to be one of the stupidest ideas i've ever seen in a doom .wad

really? I like em, there scary. I remember in Dissolution there was a part it said something like "An unseen terror lurks ahead" and I was like "what?" and then I ran into one and I almost crapped my pants.

Jello said:

stealth arch viles have to be one of the stupidest ideas i've ever seen in a doom .wad, just thought i'd pop in and say that, now back to bella

The enemy fear the most is the stealth Shotgunner. If theyre visible, it means theyve already fire ...which means you probably took some bad damage.

Stealth anything in Doom or Doom2 is pretty deadly IMO.

Ultimate DooMer said:

little programs that will be used by exactly 0 people.

not true! i thought that wadspy program was kinda neat myself