Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cyber-menace

A Musical! Best Film!

A musical getting the best film award! That's rediculus! I think Lord Of The Rings should have gotten best film! What about you!!!!

Fredrik said:

TTT sucked. There was no real "killer" movie this year. Chicago deserved it.

Umm.. no. Chicago.. no. Episode II was better :P. TTT shoulda nailed it.

What surprises me is that Daniel Day-Lewis didn't win the best actor award for his performance in Gangs of New York. Heh, that movie would've been a better choice than TTT as well. Including visual effects. The visual effects in GONY owned TTT.

Well, the biggest surprises were seeing Eminem winning an Oscar, and an animé movie beating Lilo & Stitch for best animated flick.

I still don't understand how the LOTR movies don't qualify for nomination in "Best Adapted Screenplay." They say it has to be a movie either based on a play or a book. Okay...

AndrewB said:
and an animé movie beating Lilo & Stitch for best animated flick.

I'm not sure what movie you're talking about, but if it is what I think it is (Spirited Away), then that doesn't surprise me too much.

pritch said:

Anyone who takes the Oscars seriously needs a brain transplant.

I agree. And with everything else going on, I hardly had time to even bother.

the oscars were *intense* this year. i was watching just to see protesting of the war, and michael moore delivered. really, really fucked up television.

God I don't know what the hell spirited away was supposed to be. I really hate most Japanesse animated films. I would have prefered Ice Age to win. Not for the movie, but because one of the characters (The Manmoth) has the exact same name and personality as one of my uncles. I found that a bit odd. I mean what are the chances of seeing a tough guy named Manfred in a movie. Maybe he actually did the part!

Oh well. At least this year it's going to be a big year for films.

AndrewB said:

Well, the biggest surprises were seeing Eminem winning an Oscar, and an animé movie beating Lilo & Stitch for best animated flick.

I'm not going to brag on about anime but modern disney sux IMO. Look how they have to do these cheesy sequels to the disney classics. Sounds kinda cheap.

AndrewB said:

It surprises me because it was completely the right decision.

It kind of sucked that no one was there to accept it.

BlueSonnet said:

...but modern disney sux IMO. Look how they have to do these cheesy sequels to the disney classics. Sounds kinda cheap.

Not to mention the complete lack of accuracy. Disney's Hercules is completely wrong and an insult to anything classical.

I'm not sure how bad they screwed up Mulan, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

My biggest gripe with Disney is NOTHING is an origonal story. Lilo and Stich was, and that's why I felt It shoulda won something. Cause if not for origonalitys sake, than for promotions sake. If Disney can be made to realize the best way to make a classic its to not rip off something esle, then they might be even better than they already are. Don;t get me wrong, I love disney movies, like The Lion King, the Sword in the Stone, and just about everything esle for that matter. Saw Dumbo again recently for the first time since I was a kid. I love that movie.. ;)
But that could be because I'm an animator ;)

Lost Soul said:

My biggest gripe with Disney is NOTHING is an origonal story. Lilo and Stich was, and that's why I felt It shoulda won something. Cause if not for origonalitys sake, than for promotions sake. If Disney can be made to realize the best way to make a classic its to not rip off something esle, then they might be even better than they already are. Don;t get me wrong, I love disney movies, like The Lion King, the Sword in the Stone, and just about everything esle for that matter. Saw Dumbo again recently for the first time since I was a kid. I love that movie.. ;)
But that could be because I'm an animator ;)

yeah, disney needs to stop messing up fairy tales and stuff and try doing some original stuff... the best disney movie ever was 101 dalmations i think

Best Disney movie was Toy Story.

Or if you mean Disney Disney movies, Fantasia.

Come to think of it, Toy Story is no more a Disney movie than Spirited Away is.

cyber-menace said:

I would have prefered Ice Age to win. Not for the movie, but because one of the characters (The Manmoth) has the exact same name and personality as one of my uncles.

I need to see that. However, I do know that the mammoth's voice is played by Ray Romano. :)

Lord of the Rings is considered pop culture fluff. To think that it'd be able to even compete against a popular Broadway musical brought to film is far from sane. I already knew that LotR had no chance in getting an academy award -- remember that the panel is generally composed of older folks who love to enjoy the "good 'ol days".

My heart goes out to you, Peter Jackson.

I just saw something disturbing today. I was watching TV this morning and a commericial came on. It was advertising that damn Spirited Away movie and said it was coming to theatres! OMG THAT REALLY ANNOYED ME! I probably wouldn't have had to see that disturbing commericial if it didn't win an Acadamy Award, I mean that was the VERY first thing it said on the commericial. Handing an Oscar to a movie that hasn't been introduced to the English speaking world is just beyond stupid. BLECH!

Job said:

-- remember that the panel is generally composed of older folks who love to enjoy the "good 'ol days".

I just find it unfortunate that such a work as that of Tolkien would be dismissed by the masses as pop-culture. As for the "good old days", the story was written published in 1954, while the concept far predated that. I feel the movie's interpretation should have gotten a bit more credit.

Then again, I haven't even seen Chicago yet, so whatever.

IMO: The books in the LotR series are good, but the movies don't do them justice. The movies are painfully long, but still only scratch the surface of the books.

But when it's all said and done, one shouldn't care about the awards a movie got or didn't get, because one's personal taste is important thing. Everything else is just opinion.

pritch said:

Anyone who takes the Oscars seriously needs a brain transplant.

...and I just need a brain transplant lol.

cyber-menace said:
Handing an Oscar to a movie that hasn't been introduced to the English speaking world is just beyond stupid. BLECH!

I don't know what world you're living in, but I watched that movie in a theatre several months ago. It didn't get a lot of attention because nobody knows how aweome Ghibli Studios is, so I would assume that it's being rereleased in theatres now that it has some recognition.

Perhaps now, but the same couldn't be said about 6 years ago. I'd say it had more of a cult following back then. With the introduction of the movies, the world was wowed with special effects and basic storyline that Tolkien inspired, thus leading to the "pop culture" status that it possesses today. But in times before the movies even made it to the conceptual phase, one would be rather hard pressed to find someone who read any of the actual Lord of the Rings series. The books are long, and I imagine your average schmoe has little interest in completing such a literary journey. Enter the films, and the enlightenment of the masses; pop culture achieved.

NailGunner said:

Perhaps now, but the same couldn't be said about 6 years ago. I'd say it had more of a cult following back then. With the introduction of the movies, the world was wowed with special effects and basic storyline that Tolkien inspired, thus leading to the "pop culture" status that it possesses today. But in times before the movies even made it to the conceptual phase, one would be rather hard pressed to find someone who read any of the actual Lord of the Rings series. The books are long, and I imagine your average schmoe has little interest in completing such a literary journey. Enter the films, and the enlightenment of the masses; pop culture achieved.

Well said.

NailGunner said:

The books are long, and I imagine your average schmoe has little interest in completing such a literary journey. Enter the films, and the enlightenment of the masses; pop culture achieved.

Tolkien was a great writer in a historical and personal sense, but his visual descriptions are among the worst I've ever read. The movies were quite necessary in order to complete that element of the story.

I don't intend to change the topic but if you're talking about authors i have to say that IMHO Ian McEwan sux ass.

As for the LOTR movies, or the first one that i own. I tend to find it quite fast pace really, espiacially in the beggining. Of course it went on at a normal rate then it would have taken ages to end.

Oh and LOTR: the fellowship of the ring is great IMO.