Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Go Little Record Go

Cacodemon question

They should give it a new sound, but it should still be a sort of hissing. I imagine some sort of disgusting, gurgling hiss when it sees you.

The only Doom 3 monster sounds I'm a bit disappointed with so far (that I've heard from the bootleg E3 vid), is the Hell Knight. I mean, it sounds badass and all, but it sounds absolutely nothing like the old one. Where's the high-pitched roar? - Reminds me more of what I have thought the Baron of Hell would sound like in Doom 3.

Of course it should sound different, but imo not fundamentally different.

What the sounds sound like to me, not that i hate them. Note that these are all my opinion.

Fat zombie: Sounds a lil quake-ish, you don't really get to hear many of the slow groans when it's chasing you, although it does sound cool when it murmurs "brains!".
Maintenance zombie: Kinda weird. IMO It sounds a lot a werewolf from some crazy Hanna Barbera cartoon (when it get's back up after being shot it makes a noise like "ArooooO!") thought this can be just me.
Imp: Weird. Most of the time it's like a mix of a rattlesnake and a giant bug. After listening to one of the sfx closely i distinctly heard something similar to the pc hellknight death sound.
Demon: Nice. It's trebley and robotic.
Zombie commando: Cool, it's like carnage's voice from the spiderman cartoon.
Hellknight: Deep. It could do with something high pitch though.

In doom3 i don't want the caco to make fart noises. I kinda had in mind for it to make rumble-like sounds, or make it sound like Klesk from Q3.

BlueSonnet said:

Fat zombie: Sounds a lil quake-ish, you don't really get to hear many of the slow groans when it's chasing you, although it does sound cool when it murmurs "brains!".
Maintenance zombie: Kinda weird. IMO It sounds a lot a werewolf from some crazy Hanna Barbera cartoon (when it get's back up after being shot it makes a noise like "ArooooO!") thought this can be just me.
Imp: Weird. Most of the time it's like a mix of a rattlesnake and a giant bug. After listening to one of the sfx closely i distinctly heard something similar to the pc hellknight death sound.
Demon: Nice. It's trebley and robotic.
Zombie commando: Cool, it's like carnage's voice from the spiderman cartoon.
Hellknight: Deep. It could do with something high pitch though.

I'm taking it these are from the bootlegged vid as well? If so then I'll be kind of dissapointed because I have the opinion that the zombies shouldn't say anything...or at least not in any human language. It seems to take away from the "primal and demonic" feel of the zombies.

Dingus Khan said:

I have the opinion that the zombies shouldn't say anything...or at least not in any human language. It seems to take away from the "primal and demonic" feel of the zombies.

Agreed. One thing I liked about the original Doom was that none of the monsters spoke.

Give me grunts, moans, and screams any day.

dsm said:

They should give it a new sound, but it should still be a sort of hissing. I imagine some sort of disgusting, gurgling hiss when it sees you.

The only Doom 3 monster sounds I'm a bit disappointed with so far (that I've heard from the bootleg E3 vid), is the Hell Knight. I mean, it sounds badass and all, but it sounds absolutely nothing like the old one. Where's the high-pitched roar? - Reminds me more of what I have thought the Baron of Hell would sound like in Doom 3.

Of course it should sound different, but imo not fundamentally different.

Perhaps they're saving the high scream for the Baron, so that when you finally meet this bastard, the toughest fucker aside from the cyberdemon and spidermind, it'll scare the fuck out of you... and then, experienced doomers will know that an even MORE terrifying experience awaits when you get to the cyberdemon. It could really raise the scare level, especially if there's a decent length of time between the first time you fight a Baron and when you first run into the cyberdemon... the anxiety will have the softer players cowering in a corner for hours

One thing that has recently sprung to mind. How long will it take before someone does custom sounds for doom3 like they did with the old dooms. I'll LMAO if i encountered a fat zombie that sounded like Homer Simpson.

Fatzombiestandingstill: I feel like i'm spending a fortune just standing here. Oh well. Better make the most of it........*belch*

Prime said:

Agreed. One thing I liked about the original Doom was that none of the monsters spoke.

Give me grunts, moans, and screams any day.

I honestly don't mind that the possessed soldiers (the commandos are the only possessed soldiers we've seen so far) can talk. The commandos sure are more scary when they say stuff like "I smell fear!" in that unholy voice of theirs. It's cool because it suggests that the demons can use humans to do stuff the demons can't do themselves, like operate machinery and it's cool because they seem more like some sort of really dangerous lunatics.

As for the zombies, however, I don't know what to think about them murmuring "brains" - seems a little to cliché to me, but I'll wait until I get to hear it myself before I start dissing it. Maybe it actually turns out pretty neat after all.

But if they have talking demons, I'll be pissed. The demons are the brutal, mindless animals of the Doom universe - animals don't speak and the original demons didn't speak either which was refreshening for a change.

The "brains" thing makes me think of Blood. Blood was an asskicker of a game, that's for sure, but it didn't try to capture the essence of fear like Doom 3 is. I'm not gonna knock it till I hear it for certain, but at the moment I cant think anything but either Blood or "B Movie" when I think of the brains thing.

Dingus Khan said:

The "brains" thing makes me think of Blood. Blood was an asskicker of a game, that's for sure, but it didn't try to capture the essence of fear like Doom 3 is. I'm not gonna knock it till I hear it for certain, but at the moment I cant think anything but either Blood or "B Movie" when I think of the brains thing.

It fit well with Blood because Blood wasn't trying to be serious - it was more of a funny game with scary atmosphere. The zombies moaning "brains" were hilarious, not scary.

Dingus Khan said:

I'm not really bothered by the 'brains' issue. I heard it myself and the zombie doesn't say it in a funny way. It doesn't make you laugh, although it is a bit cliché.

dsm said:

It fit well with Blood because Blood wasn't trying to be serious - it was more of a funny game with scary atmosphere. The zombies moaning "brains" were hilarious, not scary.

I'd rather that Doom ]|[ kind of avoided the clichè brains thing. I'd prefer just some moaning and stuff, like from Resident Evil.

Alright, alright...one this is for CERTAIN when it comes to monster noises/dialogue, etc:

The ArchVile BETTER have that demonic chuckle he had in Doom II. That was just frickin' creepy!!!

Meh, it's already bad enough that the new Archvile doesn't seem to have the frightening appearance that his predecessor had (IMO).

Meh, that one screenshot we've seen of the arch-vile in the new Doom makes it plenty bad-ass enough. I'm personally sure its animation will be top-notch.

Prime said:

Meh, it's already bad enough that the new Archvile doesn't seem to have the frightening appearance that his predecessor had (IMO).

*Chuckle* you think the old Archie looked frightening? O_o
Well, we all have our own tastes I guess.

It did look good, but not frightening... that chuckle is classic though, I'd love to see (or hear it actually) implemented, although I don't think it would go well with the new arch-vile design.

I actually haven't heard the "brains" bit in that video, even though I've watched it a few times... probably because I was busy being amazed by the feel of it. I don't mind the zombies talking, but like dsm said if any of the other monsters talk, I'll kill.

The_Aeromaster said:

that chuckle is classic though, I'd love to see (or hear it actually) implemented, although I don't think it would go well with the new arch-vile design.

They'll have to change the chuckle sound and make it sound more evil, more twisted. But I'm sure it can be done well. I imagine that it might sound deeper and hoarser.

dsm said:

*Chuckle* you think the old Archie looked frightening?

In the game, yes. Especially in those poorly-lit, cramped areas...

Sue me.

dsm said:

They'll have to change the chuckle sound and make it sound more evil, more twisted. But I'm sure it can be done well. I imagine that it might sound deeper and hoarser.

Agreed... is it just me or does the entire game seem deeper? Whatever it is, it just seems better.

The most frightening thing about the Arch-Vile isn't so much his looks or the sounds he made. It's that attack of his. That and the ability to resurrect other enemies. I hope they have something just as dreadful and terrifying for him in Doom 3.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, since I know many here think highly of him, but this is just my opinion. I dont think Trent Reznor was the wisest choice for ID to use on Doom 3. Trent did some really awesome stuff on Quake, and then he did some stuff that I thought was really poor.

I think they should have gotten the original sound guys. I know it's an entirely new sound engine, but the engine doom 1 used was at its time as well. Give me Bobby Prince any day over Reznor. His tunes get stuck in my head all the time.

Prime said:

In the game, yes. Especially in those poorly-lit, cramped areas...

Sue me.

No need to. You brought up a good point.

I'll pee my pants if came into a tight spot as well as a dead end when a demon is charging towards me.

Dingus Khan said:

I think they should have gotten the original sound guys. I know it's an entirely new sound engine, but the engine doom 1 used was at its time as well. Give me Bobby Prince any day over Reznor. His tunes get stuck in my head all the time.

The original sound guys wouldn't be worth crap for Doom 3. The sounds that this game supports are much too complex - this requires someone who really knows what sounds freaky where. As much as I disliked Trent's music for Quake 1, I admit that he know's what he's doing in terms of scary sfx sounds.

I hope they have something just as dreadful and terrifying for him in Doom 3.

No doubt they will give him that. If they provide him with the ability to resurrect dead demons coupled with a similar flame attack (but made so it has some cool, extra side effects), I'm confident that they will have a winner.

My opinions on the new Archvile: Great! Perfect! Just the way I always wanted an improved version of it to look. At long last it looks like a demon! And what an evil demon it looks like >:-D

Tyockell said:

Where is the screenshot of the new arch-vile?

It turned out to be an illegal pic as it was a scan of copyrighted material.
If you are really desperate to see it, try buying the Dec. 2002 issue of PC Gamer if you can find it somewhere. The magazine is easily recognizable because it has a large shot from Doom 3 on the title page, showing the doomguy with the shotgun in one hand while he is being assaulted by the Hell Knight from behind. The pic of the archvile should be in the article in that issue.

dsm said:

It turned out to be an illegal pic as it was a scan of copyrighted material.
If you are really desperate to see it, try buying the Dec. 2002 issue of PC Gamer if you can find it somewhere. The magazine is easily recognizable because it has a large shot from Doom 3 on the title page, showing the doomguy with the shotgun in one hand while he is being assaulted by the Hell Knight from behind. The pic of the archvile should be in the article in that issue.

alright thanks :-)