Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sephiroth

good good

well i finally got around to proting my doom iwads to my dream cast. I am surprised with the results. it is on par with the PC dos version and the only things i dont like are that graphics are a bit fuzzy, no music and sounds are also a bit funky. over all i say it is the best port of doom, even if it is home brewed. i really would like to see the creater use zdoom, or parts of zdoom. better sound and graphics code and high res.
so i want to know a few things. network games are they possible? other dreamcast doom ports and other good PC to dreamcast ports.

With netcode, yes, they could, in theory, have a DM capable version of DC Doom. And it'd be hard for them to use ZDoom, as I don't think that the DC's programming language is C++.

It is. But zdoom uses many functions and as far as I know, x86 stuff, that DC just doesn't have the support for. The DC modem has very little documentation on it and very little support so there probably won't be any network stuff anytime soon.

What's the attraction to porting doom to a dreamcast anyway? IF you need a PC and the PC version of doom to do it, why not just play it on the PC?

Ct_red_pants said:

What's the attraction to porting doom to a dreamcast anyway? IF you need a PC and the PC version of doom to do it, why not just play it on the PC?

it's a way of killing time until D3 comes out... or it's a way of reliving it if you haven't heard that they're making another Doom game
that 2nd line is sarcasm, don't kill yourselves

it just something to do to kill time. also playing doom on other machines seems to give the game more life, not sure why. why would u buy GBA doom and doom2, why buy doom of PSX 32x and jag, why burn a copy for use with the dream cast? the reason, because u can. i own doom for every system except the jag and PSX. though alot of times people tend to foul it up. 32x sucks as and more could have been done on the PSX. the SNES version is very good consideing what they had to work with. the dreamcast version is also good and it is still a second level beta

BBG said:

I don't think that the DC's programming language is C++.

um, the dc can run apps programmed in c++.

Sephiroth said:

i am wondering if u can use and exsisting dial up account instead of sega net

yes and no, the servers that run the games are gone. but if someone hacked up a doomserver for dc (on a computer of course) it could be possible to play homebrewed games networked using an existing dialup account. When I used my dc online I didn't have seganet and everything was fine. but ralphis is right about the modem.

BBG said:

And it'd be hard for them to use ZDoom, as I don't think that the DC's programming language is C++.

Hardware has nothing to do with programming language. You could run software written in C++, Visual Basic, JavaScript, Lisp, ACS, x86 assembly or whatever on a Dreamcast.

Fredrik said:

x86 assembly or whatever on a Dreamcast.

ahh, no. x86 uses the X86 CPU, thus its name. the dreamcast uses RISC and would not work with x86 type code. however u are right about the language part. it could use C, C++, basic and others. provided there is no use of x86 functions.

well the reason i got the psx doom is cause its different than the pc version... it starts the same but the end is different, i'm not sure at which level it starts to change though
but i wouldn't burn it to my dreamcast, if i had one, especially if it wasn't going to look as good (not sure if this is the case, but it's still pointless even if it does)

Vulg@r said:

Uh, HTF did you get a Doom iwad ported to Dreamcast?

you can do it your self. no mod chip or other hardware, but u do need at least 2 things. a dreamcast and a cd burner. you use the PC iwad and any older TC's and pwads(or Pwads and TC's that use plain doom(2).exe)

it is really easy to do and looks great, however it is still a beta. I am sure more features will be added

i didnt even know you could play doom on a sega dreamcast, im not the biggest fan of the snes version to be honest, the graphics are smooshed and its an eyesore to look at, to be expected of course, snes isnt a pc after all.

(hello from the year 2020)

Is it me or there have been a lot of necroposting on 15+ years old threads?

14 minutes ago, DSC said:

Is it me or there have been a lot of necroposting on 15+ years old threads?

Yes. 

On 3/25/2003 at 1:03 AM, Sephiroth said:

well i finally got around to proting my doom iwads to my dream cast. I am surprised with the results. it is on par with the PC dos version and the only things i dont like are that graphics are a bit fuzzy, no music and sounds are also a bit funky. over all i say it is the best port of doom, even if it is home brewed. i really would like to see the creater use zdoom, or parts of zdoom. better sound and graphics code and high res.
so i want to know a few things. network games are they possible? other dreamcast doom ports and other good PC to dreamcast ports.

Dreamcast Doom is great. So is original Xbox if you havent tried it yet.

Even though I'm 35 and replying to a thread posted when I was probably just leaving high school.

13 hours ago, Deathclaw886 said:

I didnt even know you could play doom on a sega dreamcast,

And yet you somehow stumbled upon a 17 year old thread about it.

4 hours ago, N1ck said:

Everyone reply to this thread before a moderator locks it.

Literally reported this first thing in the morning.

You dont find this thread if you didnt search for it, so the intent is well there.

2 hours ago, Murdoch said:

And yet you somehow stumbled upon a 17 year old thread about it.

What a coincidence, eh?

Sadly the original and actually funny necro's are far and inbetween.