Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
YuW

Doom on a BBS.....

I found this board while looking for Doom info on Googel and I thought some of you guys might be able to help me out with this, I run a sci-fi BBS on a dedicated server and I want to add a few games to it, basically the idea is to have a link on the main page and when you click it, it launches Doom, and records your high scores on the board. Now I have seen this done on other boards, with games like Pacman and other very old retro games, but nothing like Doom. Do you think this is possible?

Thanks in advance,
Yu

Er... Doom does not keep a "score" per se, and what few pieces of info it measures it does not store.

No I think I wasn’t clear on what I wanted to do, the score keeping isn’t really an issue, I want to run the game from the message board, in effect using the server as the host for the game. Ideally it would run in a second window but I doubt that’s possible.

I already have Doom ported over to the nokia 9210 which runs just fine, the point of this is to see if I can launch the game from a UBB board and run it for the members. I have seen this done with other games and I wondered if it could be feasible with Doom.

In the "old days" we used to play Doom over a BBS using a program called "Game Connection". You would log onto the BBS as usual then there was a link on the BBS that would take you into the module. Inside there was a chat room where players could gather and yak for a while before going "in" and playing Doom with up to 4 players in deathmatch. Of course this was using Vanilla Doom and when you had to use a regular modem and dial into the BBS...:)

At the time I was using an intel 14.4 modem and it was very fast play! Game Connection was usually purchased separately from the BBS software and installed. I setup many a deathmatch tournament with this system, I had many good matches! You could also use good old homemade Pwads with this as well...

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

Cadman said:

At the time I was using an intel 14.4 modem and it was very fast play!

Wow, that brings back more than a few memories of 1 on 1 deathmatch over dialup. The good ol' days...

Cadman said:

In the "old days" we used to play Doom over a BBS using a program called "Game Connection". You would log onto the BBS as usual then there was a link on the BBS that would take you into the module. Inside there was a chat room where players could gather and yak for a while before going "in" and playing Doom with up to 4 players in deathmatch. Of course this was using Vanilla Doom and when you had to use a regular modem and dial into the BBS...:)

At the time I was using an intel 14.4 modem and it was very fast play! Game Connection was usually purchased separately from the BBS software and installed. I setup many a deathmatch tournament with this system, I had many good matches! You could also use good old homemade Pwads with this as well...

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

Of course Game connection used SirDoom as it's front end. There is a BBS version for net use, I think it's World Groups and Galacticom