Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brad_tilf

Favorite Port

I know its been asked before but perception changes with time.
I really am just trying to find out what port(s) are used the most.
So what is your #1 port?

I'm happy with several. If a wad requires a particular port, I'll use the one required. (Duh!)

For serious play on wads that need no port (or just a Boom-compatible one), I currently use GLBoom (i.e. the OpenGL executable of PrBoom), normally in v1.9 compatibility mode. I got fed up of realizing that some wads weren't playing correctly due to some source-port issue. I don't especially like autoaim, but never mind.

When I'm in the mood for eye-candy, I sometimes use jDoom. In terms of gameplay, I find it closer to the original game than Zdoom or Legacy.

I am also capable of using Doom2.exe, but with nosound (XP!).

Fredrik: it doesn't look so nice when you're arriving in a force 9 gale.

Well, for my own preference:
Jdoom and Zdoom - and I agree, Jdoom offers the closest to original in gameplay.

Zdoomdos and Edge. Even if the latter is buggy as hell. :P

Legacy sucks and I haven't enough HDD space to put Jdoom on yet. :P

[QUOTE]ravage said:
[B]Zdoomdos and Edge. Even if the latter is buggy as hell. :P

Have you considered going to a yard sale to pick up a newer computer?
hehe

ravage said:

... and I haven't enough HDD space to put Jdoom on yet. :P

WTF? The full Doomsday package, unzipped, is less than 6 megs.

I tend to use the original .exe for playing Doom and Doom 2, but ZDoom for most wadfiles (in case they use ZDoom functions). For Heretic, I just use the original .exe for everything. Hexen, however, is a different story. I use JHexen (version .996) all the time. Mostly, I use it because I can modify the source code and create all sorts of new monsters, items, and game behavior. Plus, it looks good on all my maps and all the graphic limits are gone (no visiplane problems at all).

It splitted between Jdoom with the hi-res textures and zdoom. But when Timmy will finish the new zdoomgl I'll surely change to that.

Depends on what PC I'm using. With my P200 I tend to use vanilla or Boom 2.02 for DooM, and vanilla for Heretic and Hexen (unless a wad requires ZDoom). On the duron 700, I use ZDoom for everything (DooM, Heretic, Hexen) unless another port is needed.

Depends on the WAD.

I don't like the effect of ZDoom's Rocket Launcher so normally I am using PrBoom (GL) for most WADs and ZDoom if its special features are needed. Legacy only for WADs that are specifically designed for it. JDoom I avoid completely (Doom and dynamic lights don't mix, imho) and for other ports (EDGE, Vavoom) I really have no use.
The original EXE rots somewhere on an old CD because I am having problems with DOS and sound. Besides, the ultra-low resolution gives me severe eyestrain. (I really cannot understand why some people subject themselves voluntarily to this... ;-) )

Graf Zahl said:

Besides, the ultra-low resolution gives me severe eyestrain. (I really cannot understand why some people subject themselves voluntarily to this... ;-) )

It's called nostalgia. :)

Graf Zahl said:

Depends on the WAD.

The original EXE rots somewhere on an old CD because I am having problems with DOS and sound.

sounds like you have XP?

Graf Zahl said:

I don't like the effect of ZDoom's Rocket Launcher

You can turn rocket trails off in "Display Options".

Graf Zahl said:

JDoom I avoid completely (Doom and dynamic lights don't mix, imho)

You can turn dynamic lighting off via Doomsday's control panel. ;)

BTW, here are some possible reasons why you might sometimes want to use vanilla rather than PrBoom (apart from to get compet-n points):
* PrBoom doesn't play STRAIN correctly at all.
* You can play with v1.9 compatibility and use savegames.
* It stops you being tempted to cheat by taking a peek at the numbers of monsters and secrets. :)
* Some people find mouse control in PrBoom a bit stiff. Fortunately, it seems fine to me.
* To watch those few Doom2.exe demos that don't play back correctly in PrBoom.

You can turn dynamic lighting off via Doomsday's control panel. ;)

What use is there in an engine that doesn't offer anything new at all... ;-) PrBoom GL is much less problematic for most levels with 'dirty' effects.

You can turn rocket trails off in "Display Options".

I don't mean the shitty rocket trails (which, of course I have turned off) but the way the rocket's explosion pushes me back at certain distances. I can't find any logic in the way this works.

BTW, here are some possible reasons why you might sometimes want to use vanilla rather than PrBoom (apart from to get compet-n points):

* PrBoom doesn't play STRAIN correctly at all.

What kind of problems does it have? I have to admit it has been some time since I played Strain and that was before I discovered PrBoom.

* Some people find mouse control in PrBoom a bit stiff. Fortunately, it seems fine to me.

I agree but without mouselook a mouse is useless anyway so I don't care.

And last, but not least something very important: If a WAD REQUIRES me to use the vanilla EXE, I DON'T PLAY IT! Period.

Brad_tilf said:

I know its been asked before but perception changes with time.
I really am just trying to find out what port(s) are used the most.
So what is your #1 port?

Well, sir, my perception hasn't changed yet, I still prefer ZDoom over all other ports. JDoom/Heretic/Hexen comes in at second.

Graf Zahl said:

And last, but not least something very important: If a WAD REQUIRES me to use the vanilla EXE, I DON'T PLAY IT! Period.

A wad will NEVER REQUIRE you to use the vanilla exe. It's not like its the law. I play vanilla maps with zdoom all the time. Look at Batman Doom for instance. To me, your point of view here seems a bit flawed.

Graf Zahl said:

What kind of problems does it have? I have to admit it has been some time since I played Strain and that was before I discovered PrBoom.

Holobots are impervious to your weapons. There might be other problems too, but this is enough on its own to make it unplayable (or pointless to play).

Graf Zahl said:

... without mouselook a mouse is useless anyway so I don't care.

OMG, yuor right!!1! Keyboarders own mousers - always have done!!

Grazza said:

Holobots are impervious to your weapons. There might be other problems too, but this is enough on its own to make it unplayable (or pointless to play).

You're right. There is a really stupid bug in the Dehacked-code of PrBoom which totally messes up as soon as the patch wants to change the respawn frame. It writes the value in the lower half of the flags.

Unfortunately I don't know who to tell this that it gets fixed but the problem is that the flags value in PrBoom is 64 bit, but the code appears to be the unchanged version from the old Boom source which assumes the field is only 32 bit.

This means:

Any monster that is defined with Dehacked and contains an altered respawn frame WON'T WORK with PrBoom!
So much for the 'most compatible' source port...

Graf Zahl said:

I agree but without mouselook a mouse is useless anyway so I don't care.

hahahaha......

no.

Graf Zahl said:

There is a really stupid bug in the Dehacked-code of PrBoom which totally messes up as soon as the patch wants to change the respawn frame. It writes the value in the lower half of the flags.

It's certainly a very annoying bug. BTW, one of the Zdoom 2.0 betas had a major problem with STRAIN, but Randy fixed it, bless him :)

The guy to report this to is presumably cph, though I'm not sure if he is currently working on a new version.

If he is, then something I'd like to see in a new version is the ability to save the game when using compatibility modes, assuming there is no fundamental problem with that idea.

Graf Zahl said:

So much for the 'most compatible' source port...

Easy, now. It's still a damned fine piece of work.

My port of choice, in order of best to worst on my system.

Legacy
Zdoom
Prboom
Jdoom
everything else.