Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brad_tilf

New and Improved Slige

An anonymous fan of the game and someone who likes to screw around with code took a long, hard look at Slige and returned it to me almost half its original size, faster and better. To test it out I created a 32 level megawad with it called The Proving Grounds which is available here: http://www.doomwadstation.suhost.com/main/prove.html
Also available there is the new zip file with the improved code.
Since Slige can be fun to play around with I thought some of you might be interested. I used the command line parameters to create large (100 rooms or so) and complex levels and used the -macho parameter to increase difficulty for UV beyond what it would be normally since I usually find Slige wads a little easy with the defaults. I played through the first level and into the second - came out pretty good - lack of detail of course - and fun to play.
Anyway - try the wad and the new code if you're so inclined.
:-)

Slige rules -- it's never ceased to amaze me that someone could take the Doom code and make a level generator. This means that there is a virtually infinite number of Doom levels you can play and the fun doesn't ever have to end. Man, I just love that proggie.

Yup - totally. At the moment I'm hoping to get the "anonymous fan" to do more work on the code so that it will create more complex maps.

Brad_tilf said:

Yup - totally. At the moment I'm hoping to get the "anonymous fan" to do more work on the code so that it will create more complex maps.

That'd be cool, I remember playing around with that prog about a year ago and having some fun.

One thing I'd like to know though, does anyone have good info on altering the Slige CFG file to add extra texture themes and such? The comments given with it seemed kind of insufficient to me.

I wish I could help you and SLIGE in anyway, but unfortunately, I've got no 31337 programming/coding skills. : /

yay, slige! now wad maker wannabes can post their own 32 level megawads on /newstuff!

Heh, I was wondering how long it would take for that to be mentioned.

It's a shame Woolie's title has been changed to the boring "Loser". IIRC, it had been something like:

Hey everyone, download my SLIGE megawad!
[scrolling]STUPID STUPID STUPID[/scrolling]
BTW, I got a 0:17 on E1M1

Best title ever!

A close second would be MaCvILeWhOrE's last title, which sent all of his messages off the screen where you had to scroll it over to see them.

frwl said:

yay, slige! now wad maker wannabes can post their own 32 level megawads on /newstuff!

Y'know, there should be a SLIGE megawad site. It's almost on Mockery level.

Draconio said:

That'd be cool, I remember playing around with that prog about a year ago and having some fun.

One thing I'd like to know though, does anyone have good info on altering the Slige CFG file to add extra texture themes and such? The comments given with it seemed kind of insufficient to me.

While I didn't try it - if I read the text file correctly you can actually load a texture.wad on the command line so that it gets used during the build process. I might try that one of these days.

frwl said:

/newstuff will not accept levels created with slige. The program has a very distinctive "watermark" as the author puts it so that the beginning of every level has a distinctive ceiling - play a level or two and you'll see what I mean. This distinguishes the levels as slige created levels. Besides, since slige only inputs rudimentary design, I would hope that actual people designed maps would look better. Unfortunately, from what I've seen, many of the slige wads are better designed and more fun to play than many user created levels. I was noticing the lighting, which was very good actually. The program did very well with shadows.

Is it really that hard to change the ciling though? All you have to do is remove those sectors, and get rid of the exploding Lost Soul.

SLIGE is fun though. Although it really seems to love making traps with Spectres in them.

I've never tried it, but it might be kind of neat to take a wad made from SLIGE and just use it as a beginning for your own level -- to enhance it as you like. Though it wouldn't be moral to submit it to /newstuff.

Well, of course, even with removing the little ceiling design, slige levels are very distinct, and would be instantly recognized as such anyways. Personally, I love slige. God, for a while I had a .bat file set up to generate a new 32-level megawad every time I played Doom 2 (or 36 for Doom). Thank goodness I managed to stop myself. I do wish that somebody would add cooler architecture into slige, so that it could generate even more awesome levels. Sometimes, though, the levels can really be a pain in the a$$. Oh well, glad to see it isn't dead yet, and I hope more progress is made wiht it in the future.

SLIGE is cool. This thread inspired me and I spent an hour or so just genrating random levels and playing them. No great levels in the ones I got, but no really poor ones either. Good fun for an otherwise boring afternoon.

Ultimate DooMer said:

No, no, no - it takes much more effort to make a mockery level...

(and I bet it can't generate mockery maps either)

Give them time, and they will. :P

Job said:

I've never tried it, but it might be kind of neat to take a wad made from SLIGE and just use it as a beginning for your own level -- to enhance it as you like. Though it wouldn't be moral to submit it to /newstuff.

Well, if you're using it as a base thats one thing but to just create one and submit - no go. I have 2 megawads I've created with it on my site - http://www.doomwadstation.suhost.com/main
they were both fun to play and the one I did yesterday was basically just testing out the updated code I recieved. It was fun to play.
Check it out

Couldn't hurt to use SLIGE for layout ideas when you get a bit blocked. Take the basic layout and think to yourself "Oh, this might look nice as an industrial area," then alter it as you see fit, adding detail. If you don't find anything good to use the first time around, set up a batch file to generate one map (don't even need to use BSP if you use ZDoom), then run it in (Z)Doom, then after you quit (Z)Doom generate another... put a "pause" command somewhere in between so you can hit Ctrl+C to terminate once you do find something. I say do one map at a time just so you aren't generating megawad after megawad after megawad...

Brad_tilf said:

I have 2 megawads I've created with it on my site - http://www.doomwadstation.suhost.com/main
they were both fun to play and the one I did yesterday was basically just testing out the updated code I recieved. It was fun to play.
Check it out

Uhm, if they were generated by slige, you didn't make them.

Well, ya, I know that.
I was using that in its most generic form.
I realize the program created them and I only posted them so people could play with them. I have enough wads that I do by hand that I don't need to try and take credit for generic wads like this.
Maybe I should have said - I have two slige created wads on my site.....

Ultraviolet said:

Ehh, SL.EXE, the new version, does nothing but crash on my machine.

really? What kind of machine do you have?
I'm running XP on a p2 400 mhz with 256 megs of ram and of course, I run slige from the command line.
I also didn't screw with the config files which it doesn't seem to like at all.
What do you have and what are you doing different?
Also - Kind Doom sent me a gui version that I'm going to try out one of these days when I have time.

I just click SL.EXE. I didn't screw with the .CFG's either. It's not like the machine hangs, SL.EXE just causes an illegal op. It doesn't get far enough into the execution of the program to produce even a partial map.

Windows 98 (original, not SE)
256 megs of RAM
300 megahertz K6-2
only the OS should really matter

Hiya.

Actually, my first bet on your crashing prob would be your processor. IIRC, AMD's have a different 'style' (?) of floating point calculations or somesuch. Maybe Slige us trying to do something that your processor can't handle, or handles differently?

Anyone else with an AMD get this problem?

Well, with 2 different intel processors (in 2 different machines), simply double clicking the sl.exe gives me a slige.out every time. I can then run it through deepbsp and play it with no problems.