Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chariot Rider

Nonviolent Doom Wads

Hello!

I have quite an interest in levels that push the boundaries of what a Doom level can be.  One of my favorite Wads is The Given, an entirely nonviolent Doom puzzle map.  Doom is oftentimes associated with its violent (very fun) gameplay, but I'm also curious about maps that don't play into the traditional model of making fun action packed levels where the player blasts away demons.  That being said, I can't think of very many entirely non-violent Doom wads.  Sure, there are things like Chex Quest or Noah's Ark 3D that are thematically non-violent, but are really just reskinning the act of shooting into something more kid friendly.  By non-violent, I mean wads where you aren't really fighting anything.  There are no enemies to fight on The Given and the wad focuses more on puzzles and exploration, and that's the sort of thing I'm looking for.  In my online search I have found a few wads, but I was curious if anybody knew of some more wads that were nonviolent experiences?  

Any wad can be non-violent if you play with -nomonsters.

I'll have to advertise my own work (sorry, everyone!). It's like that until map 7 and 8.

Cyberdreams doesn't exactly fall into the category of having no monsters (the whole wad is built around cyberdemons and avoiding their fire/finding a way to kill them indirectly or via telefragging), but it does fit otherwise!

I made a nonviolent Doom mod back in 2010. It was called Hoppington's Shape Search. It was originally made for a Digital Media class in college. There is only 1 map for it.

37 minutes ago, Lizardcommando said:

I made a nonviolent Doom mod back in 2010. It was called Hoppington's Shape Search. It was originally made for a Digital Media class in college. There is only 1 map for it.

This is very cute. Cool textures.

1 hour ago, slowfade said:

I'll have to advertise my own work (sorry, everyone!). It's like that until map 7 and 8.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely be checking this out.

1 hour ago, Maribo said:

Jumpwad is Doom turned into a collect-a-thon platformer reminiscent of 3D Platformers and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater games. When monsters are (rarely) present, they are actually helpful rather than a detriment.

Finely Crafted Fetish Film, despite the name, has some maps that are puzzle heavy and almost completely free of violence.

Kill 'Em With Kindness // NewCity // Moving are all some form of walking simulator with no combat present.

I actually just played Kill 'Em With Kindness, and its a cute little wad.  I'll definitely be looking into your other suggestions.  

36 minutes ago, Lizardcommando said:

The art in this is very cute!  

I guess I should also mention that I am deep into development of my own non-violent megawad.  This started as a project for a college class but has since expanded.  I am making an art museum in Doom.  The idea of virtual art museums has always been quite compelling to me, and I find the notion of making a contemplative, art gallery experience in a FPS engine to be pretty compelling and perhaps a bit comical.  I haven't gotten the wad into a state where I'd want to release it yet, but here are some photos.  

Shot1.PNG.f97bc42bac2cfcf75153347fab3ac518.PNG

Shot2.PNG.bd75f4013d24ae6cd792b1fad9e577d0.PNGShot4.PNG.86475e6a33ad44b965841e5c82338611.PNG

Are there any vegan wads? I hate seeing all the dead demon meat.

I didn't mention it on Discord because you do actually have to kill a Cyberdemon but Archvile Town is mostly just talking to Arch-viles as long as you don't annoy them :p

I suppose the most obvious is Ars Doom. A few links:

https://www.gamescenes.org/2009/11/interview-orphan-kipcak-arsdoom-arsdoom-ii-1995.html

https://www.amazon.com/Pioneers-Game-Art-ArsDoom-SimBee/dp/9186915185

https://www.mfru.org/projects/arsdoom-1

https://medium.com/@gzliu777/where-is-the-game-in-artists-art-game-art-7cace418f014

Doomball and Doomball2 are worth a mention, though you'll need to convert the deh file using dehacked.exe.

There are also some Zdoom projects that basically had games inside Doom (such as Pong), but that's a different category really.

6 hours ago, MFG38 said:

Any wad can be non-violent if you play with -nomonsters.

Then it'll just be plain creepy.

Or like visitting a bar without any beer / whiskey. 

A stripclub without any strippers.

My wad ARLINGTON is a nonviolent adventure game, I’m also really interested in exploring this concept in a game built around killing things.

I just remembered that map 31 by Blexor of Morior Invictus is an amazing monsterless puzzle map where you explore the ruins of different doom levels in the far distant future. Very cool map!

Check out Hot Soapy Water, currently in beta. Some of the maps do feature normal Doom combat, but others have you serving sushi or looking at paintings. It's a weird mix.

It is definitely all about pushing the boundaries of what a Doom level can be.

Does it still count as playing Doom? I don't know, but there's Rat Solitaire and it's, well, a game of Solitaire, but you're rat-sized so the cards are huge. Also you can explore a giant kitchen, complet with a cooktop, a sink with a garbage disposal, and a toaster, which are as many lethal hazards for your card-playing rat doomguy.

13 hours ago, Bank said:

My wad ARLINGTON is a nonviolent adventure game, I’m also really interested in exploring this concept in a game built around killing things.

I'm a bit adventure game fan so I'm definitely curious to see what a Doom adventure game looks like.  

12 hours ago, GermanPeter said:

I was summoned, so I'm plugging my own Walking Sim here, because it's exactly what you're talking about:

Likewise, walking sims are very cool and I'm interested to see this.  

12 hours ago, Gez said:

There's also Mr. Friendly if you want to just talk to the monsters and play Animal Crossing but with demons.

I have no idea how this mod works, but being able to take any doom level and make it into an Animal Crossing experience certainly has my attention!

5 hours ago, Klear said:

Check out Hot Soapy Water, currently in beta. Some of the maps do feature normal Doom combat, but others have you serving sushi or looking at paintings. It's a weird mix.

It is definitely all about pushing the boundaries of what a Doom level can be.

Based on the level names and the reference to Duchamp on the beta page, I can already tell that this will be a fascinating level set and I'll be excited to play it when it comes out.  

2 hours ago, Shepardus said:

Since you mentioned The Given, you should also check out Moonlight:

Dobu Gabu Maru is becoming one of my all time favorite mappers, but I haven't played this one yet.  Looks like I'll have to break out a pen and paper for this.

2 hours ago, Gez said:

Does it still count as playing Doom? I don't know, but there's Rat Solitaire and it's, well, a game of Solitaire, but you're rat-sized so the cards are huge. Also you can explore a giant kitchen, complet with a cooktop, a sink with a garbage disposal, and a toaster, which are as many lethal hazards for your card-playing rat doomguy.

I think Rat Solitaire counts as Doom.  Coincidentally, it reminds me a bit of the currently in development Doom Rat project which is all about making rat sized Doom levels.