Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cyber-menace

Bridges

I've been designing my newest level and I decided to use bridges. Problem is that I don't know how. What's the best way to make a 3d bridge. Mine's going to be shaped like this:
---
\|/
/|\
\|/
/|\
---

cyber-menace said:

What's the best way to make a 3d bridge.

In ZDooM, which you appear to be using for many of your maps, it's fairly straightforward. Thing 9990 is an invisible "bridge" object. Position several of these at the height of your bridge floor, and lay out your linedefs in the pattern you have indicated. Voila! Instant bridge.

For vanilla DooM, go to DooM World's Editing Pages for a cool way to build a 3D bridge.

If you're not using zdoom and you find the instructions mentioned in the above post a little difficult there are other ways. If you check out Bloodworks you will see that I have used 3d bridges extensively and that I did them in a manner much different. Also, with the right linedefs and instant floor drops, etc... you can make the bridges walkable on and under.
Just curious since I haven't tried it - are the bridges created with the special thing in zdoom like that? can you go over and under?

The method Rex mentioned it probably the easies way possible (just place the invisible bridge thing and you got your bridge). It's a lot easier than instant raise/lower sectors. And it's no problem to make multi-story bridges with the invisible bridge thing.

How to make your bridge visible, step by step:
1-put down the linedefs where you want it to be
2-select all of them, and pick a STEP texture you want the bridge to use
3-make it the middle texture
4-make it the middle texture on side 2 too!
5-change the y offsets up to the vertical height you want the bridge to be at, then subtract 16, because the step textures have a height of 16
6-change the y offsets on the other side too!

Yeah, most of the people that ask this question get confused on how to make the bridge visible, so yeah here it is.

Just make sure you check if 'lower unpegged' is on or not. If it is on, then the texture would start on the floor, and you would need to add to the y offset (minus the height of the bridge texture). If the 'lower unpegged' is off, then the texture starts on the sky or ceiling, and you would have to subtract from the y offset (no need to compensate for the height of the bridge texture).

I'm probably not going to get around to making that part of my level for while, but when I do I will use these methods (Zdoom Port)! Thank you for your help. I am in your debt ... sorta.

cyber-menace said:

I am in your debt

and when have you ever not been in our debt? :)

Brad_tilf said:

Just curious since I haven't tried it - are the bridges created with the special thing in zdoom like that? can you go over and under?

Absolutely. That's the whole purpose of the special thing -- to allow movement above and below the bridge with no restrictions. With the vanilla DooM trick of instant floor drop, an enemy cannot pass under the bridge while the player is crossing the bridge above. With ZDooM's special, simultaneous passage above and below the bridge is possibe.

What annoys me about ZDoom's 3d bridges, as 1337 as they may be, is that neither bots nor enemies will follow you across a 3d bridge. I wonder why this is.

They assume that the bridge isn't there, and if they can't jump from high places, they won't step on it. I'm not sure what would happen if they can walk off of high places. Would they walk on the bridge or just fall right through to the ground below?

I believe you can place them onto 3d bridge objects and they will walk along them just fine since they're solid (I may be wrong of course, but I recall seeing in in ltsd), but if you kill them they'll fall right through it (as will anything that is dead or non solid, ie weapons, ammo, powerups etc), unless you set them to have no gravity when they die but then their dead bodies may float in mid air depending on how you kill them (or if they slide off something).

I'd assume if you gave a monster the ability to drop off high places he would simply walk onto the bridge thing, but I haven't tried that myself either. When monsters walk they check that the floor in front of them is 24 units above or below (actually it may be 16, I forget) their current floor, and bridge things are not a sector, so they wouldn't take that into consideration. In fact, they may even see them as obsitcals and attempt to go around them, I dunno.

Remember that you can create your own textures specially for the bridge, to make them fit in with the theme better. If you're using ZDoom 2.0.42 (which fixes a bug in the monster count), you can spawn monsters onto the bridge and they will stay on it and move around as normal, but they won't move off it (unless they can fly).

A related question: how can you make a monster drop off high places? (I presume you're all referring to the Maulotaur, but I don't recall seeing an option in dehacked for it)

There are also source ports that allows you to create true 3D bridges, they are EDGE, Legacy and Vavoom.

Ultimate DooMer said:

A related question: how can you make a monster drop off high places? (I presume you're all referring to the Maulotaur, but I don't recall seeing an option in dehacked for it)

Bit 10 in Dehacked - "Travels over cliffs"

Is this brige an Object? I remember seeing a particle thing in the ZDoom website, they said that was better then some bridge object and you could create multi-story builidings with it.

And off topic and off forum, any newsabout DoomIII release dates?

charris said:

Is this brige an Object? I remember seeing a particle thing in the ZDoom website, they said that was better then some bridge object and you could create multi-story builidings with it.

Well, the bridge itself is not an object. However, ZDooM has an invisible bridge object above and below which players and enemies can pass. The "bridge" that you may have seen in ZDooM levels is a construct, consisting of the bridge objects (Thing 9990) and linedefs that form the floor grates and railings of a bridge.

The bridge object may be used to create the illusion of floor-over-floor, and hence multi-story buildings. This object is different from the particle fountain object, which, to my knowledge cannot be used to create multi-story buildings.

charris said:

Here is a good example wad of a two story building.

charris also said:

And off topic and off forum, any newsabout DoomIII release dates?

AFAIK, it should be released this summer or thereabouts, if we're lucky. Notice I said should. :)

Here is a good example wad of a two story building.

That example is a little out of date (as it uses replacement sprites) but just use the invisible bridge thing instead and you'll get the same effect (with the added bonus of not seeing the bridge things).