Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stealthy Ivan

Remember Wolf 3D...?

Remember Wolfenstien 3D, I dont really care if this question has been asked befor either... Any way, Do you remember the first time you played Wolf 3D? What did you think of it?
I thought, I'm going to play this game forever (cause it ruled)..!
And the graphics were the best at the time!
And what did you think of the Re-made version which came out not too long ago?

Wolf3D was an amazing atmospheric experience. The music was mind-dazzling. Never did I have a more surreal "Am I dreaming?" gaming experience than when I found Wolf3D's secret level 10 after playing the first level about 100 times.

I still play it frequently. I do not have any other game that gives me nerve-shocks as strong as Wolf3D. This is mainly because of the mono-sound, and sounds never having their volume lowered. This means constant frantically looking in every direction, and not knowing if there's an SS around that corner, or if he's in another part of the map entirely.

Oh, and RTCW blew the balloon, mostly. Totally unoriginal and mainstream. I could not make myself finish the game. Too freaking boring.

But seriously, Wolf3D is the prime example of how improved technology can take away from certain addictive game elements. No game is ever as fear-inducing and nerve-wracking as Wolf3D. None even come close.

Wolf3d was pretty cool when it first came out, but then it got boring.

RTCW was pretty cool after I got it synched with my video card, but then it stopped working.

Ah, indeed I do.

The first time I played the program was when I was a young chap, shopping within Sears for the family PC. I've never been the same since; the opening of the cast-iron doors, the waiting, then finally the voice of a German guard. I've never been the same since.

A neighbor had the shareware version of the game on their new (at the time) computer. I played it for hours.

Yeah, I was just a little kid. I played Doom shortly afterwards though, and never wanted to play it again. I got the GL port of Wolf3d to get sound working under win2k recently, that was pretty cool. Still got bored and lost though, I prefer Blake Stone.

I das played teh Wolf 3D Shareware sometime after playing Doom, I beat it pretty quickly, the first episode. It was good, but the sounds and music didn't work, iirc. :D

AndrewB said:

Oh, and RTCW blew the balloon, mostly. Totally unoriginal and mainstream. I could not make myself finish the game. Too freaking boring [...] No game is ever as fear-inducing and nerve-wracking as Wolf3D. None even come close.

More confirmation that you are, ideed, smoking crack. Wolf3D might have been mind-blowing when it was first released, but compared to every decent first-person shooter since Doom, it's crap. It looks terrible, the control is horrible, there's no interesting environment to speak of and the weapons are nothing to speak of.

Mazes suck.

I haven't played Wolf in over a year now. I did have the SW on here at one point, but that was in a forgotten age, on a different hard drive. As I remember it, it was quite good, but like any FPS, it did it have its annoyances.

It was a great game for its time, but lets face it, it sucks now. 60 levels of mazes is not fun. I used to get headaches from staring at those damned orthogonal walls.

Was fun back then though.

Edit: I like the new avatar Silverwyvern.

Silverwyvern said:

I enjoy it still.. but have a tendancy to get lost alot cause it all looks the same ;)

Thats the same reason I don't like it anymore. It used to be like 'woah, its 3d!' and stuff, but now its like 'oh shit I'm lost...was that the 4th intersection or the 5th I just crossed there?'. That was kinda fun back in the day, now its just annoying...and all those secrets hidden in so many inconspicous places...that makes it so its endless wall-clicking.

Lord FlatHead said:

More confirmation that you are, ideed, smoking crack. Wolf3D might have been mind-blowing when it was first released, but compared to every decent first-person shooter since Doom, it's crap. It looks terrible, the control is horrible, there's no interesting environment to speak of and the weapons are nothing to speak of.

Mazes suck.

Okay, now what's your falchating problem? Did you completely skip over the first half of my post? I'll spell it out for you again...

Wolf3D was insanely frantic and nerve-wracking, because it was often impossible to tell where an enemy was coming from, BECAUSE of the mono and constant-volume audio. This results in constantly looking around in every direction. And when a white guard silently sneaks up behind and ends the game in one shot, for me it results in a full-body twitch, far more intense than any other game has delivered in my life. What's so hard to understand about this?

If you don't like Wolf3D, that's your preference. But the only reason for your irrational and unwarranted disagreement regarding my personal experience is a comprehension problem. When I say that no game has come close to giving me the kind of shocks and jolts as Wolf3D, you have no basis on which to rationally argue that point.

And let me just add that yes, Wolf3D is a very limited gaming experience with a maze-only engine. But the frantic nerve-wracking gameplay caused by the very limits in technology is what makes it a timeless and unique gaming experience. Combined, of course, with an excellent atmosphere involving simple yet enchanting music tracks.

Certainly, restrictions are often beneficial. For example, cheat codes in a game remove many restrictions. But at the same time, it can spoil the experience. On rare occasions, breaking limits of technology can produce the same effect of spoilage, opening up new technology opportunities but quietly closing certain gameplay opportunities.

Look, duderinoes, on the surface it sounds backwards, but some limitations do have their benefits. That's all there is to it.

Lord FlatHead said:

Mazes suck.

Heh, as do walls that are doors. There are times I became almost homicidal playing through the tougher parts of wolf. If you're not careful, the blue rockwall texture can begin to haunt you in your sleep.

Doom did away with a lot of the confusion because the engine actually supported complex gameplay, as it was possible to work in architectural hints to at least give some clue about tougher maps.

Wolfenstein 3-d: Definitely the best game I had ever tried when I first fired up the shareware version on my computer (but then came the onslaught of Doom). I had heard a lot about it beforehand and had got hooked on it even before trying it. I wasn't disappointed when finally playing it. Great sounds, great graphics, atmosphere, concept and lots of room for a vivid imagination. The heavy metal doors that would close with that loud clanking sound, the German expressions that the guards would yell at you - everything was just great.
I even play it once in a rare while nowadays, but I admit that it is pretty boring now.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Admittedly too mainstream, but that's not what bothers me the most. What bothers me about it is that killing stuff in it does not feel like Wolf3d - the guards rarely flinch when you shoot them and the Lüger is just far too weak compared to the pistol in Wolf3d. And what happened to those heavy metal doors that made this sinister noise back in Wolf3d? And what happened to the doggies? There were too many imo crucial things from the original that were left out or changed in a bad way. However, the concept had been largely improved (BJ looks far more badass in RtCW for instance) and although still over-the-top, seemed more believable somehow. The new weapons were also cool and the sounds top-notch. It sucks that the Nazis rarely speak any German though.
But despite all it's annoying flaws, this is still the best modern first person shooter since Doom 2 imo - namely because it's just so much fun each time I go back to playing it after a short break. True, you get tired of it really quick, but it becomes fun again really fast.

I remember the first time I played Wolf3D. The things that amazed me the most was the 3D look and the fact that corpses from enemies actually remained on the floor. They didn't flicker out of existence, like in most 2D games of that time.
On a very rare occasion I load up Wolf3D again, but I can't play it for more then a few minutes before getting bored.

Return To Castle Wolfenstein is the best game ever. It's single player storyline is neat, with excellent graphics and atmosphere and all. But what makes it really addictive is the multiplayer part. Stealing documents, planting dynomite at doors, reviving wounded teammembers, shooting with mounted guns, the flamethrower, distributing ammunition, calling in airstrikes, the large selection of voice-chats ("Jawohl!!"), the huge and detailed maps, etc, etc, etc.
RTCW = Gameplay with a capital G.

wolf3d was a pretty good game. i didn't play it until after i had played doom shareware a gazillion times, but i enjoyed it quite a bit. teh small machine gun is still my favorite weapon ever in an FPS (i just really like the speed of it and the sound it makes)

RTCW was far far far from original. but that's about what i expected, since it wasn't made by any of the same people as the original, and strives for realism (and thus features none of the silliness that could be found in wolf3d). some of the missions were interesting, but all in all, it was pretty lame.

Disorder said:

I hate those damn German shepherds.

Uh why?
I thought they were damn great. Fast moving targets, but very weak, plus they provided some spice as did the zombiemutants. "Bad, bad doggie. Play dead!" *Yipe* "Good dog" >:-]

I miss those pet dogs in RtCW :-(

Don't tell me you didn't smile, even a bit, the first time you ate a plate of food in RtCW.

Or when the old Wolf3d title song is being sung on the Radio.