Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sonikkumania

Internet breaks

Recommended Posts

Do you guys ever do breaks from the Internet?

Few weeks ago my smart device became jammed and I was unable to surf the web.

Now I feel like it was really a good chance, given I've been a vivid user of the web pretty much my whole life.

So .. I guess I want to talk about this topic and see what others think about it.

I mean when you think about it, it could really improve on your life and give you more time for the day.

Do you honestly consider yourself to be addicted to the internet?

Also it kinda sucks that most of the necessary services (banking for example) are becoming more and more restricted to digital only services.

But that's not the point, you can only cheat the system with your imagination.

Share this post


Link to post

Besides of that, I'm also a generation that witnessed the age of the early Wild West Internet.

I honestly think that surfing has decreased in quality and it's become more a habit than something genuinely interesting.

But let's see what we can talk about.

Share this post


Link to post

I've given up on the majority of social media a long time ago and I encourage others to do the same. Shits too much like a second job that you don't get paid for. 

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Somniac said:

I've given up on the majority of social media a long time ago and I encourage others to do the same. Shits too much like a second job that you don't get paid for. 

Me too. I barely log in to Facebook and I never had account for sites like Instagram or Snapchat or whatever the fuck there exists.

If you count Youtube I have few alts but I rarely upload anything it's more about having a playlist of personal videos.

Share this post


Link to post

I stay more or less constantly plugged in to my sources on current events, but I frequently choose to give my brain a day or a half-day off.

 

But I think the majority of what the web is used for is an attempt to compensate for the ways in which our society is making us emotionally unwell. Approval-seeking, attention-seeking, loneliness, alienation, etc. That's something I think tends to be a lot more harmful when it takes over our lives.

 

I'm older, so I didn't experience teenage Instagram or TikTok or whatever it is they're using. It seems like it must make adolescence so much more difficult and painful than it already is.

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, Aaron Blain said:

But I think the majority of what the web is used for is an attempt to compensate for the ways in which our society is making us emotionally unwell.

Ironically I consider this one of the reasons why mental health problems have been on the rise, partly due to the channels you mentioned in your post.

Share this post


Link to post

Well, I'm able to limit screen time by myself, without setting any limits or my parents telling me to.

For example, when I go to school, I stay 6 or 7 hours without using my phone, or at least not during the lesson, and I spend some time off the screen, and I only focus on the lesson and writing on paper, and I'm also busy all week, and especially when I have swimming lessons twice a week at 6 PM after school, and that way I limit my screen time and internet time quite enough.

I also spend time making music on music softwares so that way I don't have to always spend time on the internet.

 

However, sometimes, when the teacher is not in class or the teacher is absent and there's no teacher, I use a bit of my phone but when the teacher comes I put it away, and I stay all school day without using my mobile phone, and only use it when I go back home and when I'm home.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Sonikkumania said:

Me too. I barely log in to Facebook and I never had account for sites like Instagram or Snapchat or whatever the fuck there exists.

If you count Youtube I have few alts but I rarely upload anything it's more about having a playlist of personal videos.

I only have YouTube, which is the only social media platform I like, and I just subscribed to your YouTube channel, and WhatsApp to chat with my friends.

I don't have any Facebook, Twitter (which is now X), Instagram or TikTok accounts, not like most teenagers of my age do.

 

Well I'm not a fan of those because I don't feel the need to create an account for any of those, and 2 social media platforms are already enough for me, and there are many other ways I can make myself public if I want to.

 

I also listen to music on YouTube, Spotify and SoundCloud.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Sonikkumania said:

Me too. I barely log in to Facebook and I never had account for sites like Instagram or Snapchat or whatever the fuck there exists.

If you count Youtube I have few alts but I rarely upload anything it's more about having a playlist of personal videos.

I never had any Facebook, Twitter (X), Instagram or TikTok accounts either.

 

Share this post


Link to post

It's always a good idea, hard for most people to do.

I didn't personally like most social media like facebook or twitter as they were boring to me. Well short of, I got stick to twitter at some point.

But generally my weakness was youtube, which I at least can pretend it's better as I will watch some big podcast with a serious discussion instead of 140 characters of crap.

But then that becomes also a second life, as there is too much content, and you want to see this and that 3 hours podcast.

My habit was even at some time to run that 3 hours podcast in the background while I do something else, which would be some casual gaming, to be able to pay attention.

But yeah, we have lost attention they say.

I was born in the early 80s and only after my 18 I had my first experience with classic internet with a modem. I can't imagine how it is for younger people, when even older people like me can easily be addicted.

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Optimus said:

It's always a good idea, hard for most people to do.

I didn't personally like most social media like facebook or twitter as they were boring to me. Well short of, I got stick to twitter at some point.

But generally my weakness was youtube, which I at least can pretend it's better as I will watch some big podcast with a serious discussion instead of 140 characters of crap.

But then that becomes also a second life, as there is too much content, and you want to see this and that 3 hours podcast.

My habit was even at some time to run that 3 hours podcast in the background while I do something else, which would be some casual gaming, to be able to pay attention.

But yeah, we have lost attention they say.

I was born in the early 80s and only after my 18 I had my first experience with classic internet with a modem. I can't imagine how it is for younger people, when even older people like me can easily be addicted.

Well, I'm able to limit screen time by myself, without setting any limits or my parents telling me to.

For example, when I go to school, I stay 6 or 7 hours without using my phone, or at least not during the lesson, and I spend some time off the screen, and I only focus on the lesson and writing on paper, and I'm also busy all week, and especially when I have swimming lessons twice a week at 6 PM after school, and that way I limit my screen time and internet time quite enough.

I also spend time making music on music softwares so that way I don't have to always spend time on the internet.

 

However, sometimes, when the teacher is not in class or the teacher is absent and there's no teacher, I use a bit of my phone but when the teacher comes I put it away, and I stay all school day without using my mobile phone, and only use it when I go back home and when I'm home.

 

I only have YouTube, which is the only social media platform I like, and I just subscribed to your YouTube channel, and WhatsApp to chat with my friends.

I never had any Facebook, Twitter (which is now X), Instagram or TikTok accounts, not like most teenagers of my age do.

 

Well I'm not a fan of those because I don't feel the need to create an account for any of those, and 2 social media platforms are already enough for me, and there are many other ways I can make myself public if I want to.

 

I also listen to music on YouTube, Spotify and SoundCloud.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Not real breaks. Maybe a day or two sometimes but normally, I try to work in hikes and things like that when I've got lots of idle time, maybe go to a dance. Sticking oneself in front of a screen for hours and hours gets quite unpleasant and old after a while.

Share this post


Link to post

@Sonikkumania I don't know where you live but we've had a comical amount of mass shootings in recent years, it doesn't encourage wanting to go out to public gatherings and social events. I did experience my first concert in March 2022 and it went great, the only cause for concern being afterhours in a sketchy location, but still. I'm not really a huge social body to begin with so it doesn't affect me all that much, but I realize for others being out and about and being part of crowds is a big thing for them. It's just unfortunate that said crowds look like nice big inviting targets for people that never should've had access to firearms in the first place and with the way things have been going it's quite clear those in power really don't care if the current generation lives or dies. See Texas; which I'm originally from, and how Abbott feels about his own citizens and schoolchildren.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, SimonePiervergili said:

Well, I'm able to limit screen time by myself, without setting any limits or my parents telling me to.

For example, when I go to school, I stay 6 or 7 hours without using my phone, or at least not during the lesson, and I spend some time off the screen, and I only focus on the lesson and writing on paper, and I'm also busy all week, and especially when I have swimming lessons twice a week at 6 PM after school, and that way I limit my screen time and internet time quite enough.

I also spend time making music on music softwares so that way I don't have to always spend time on the internet.

 

However, sometimes, when the teacher is not in class or the teacher is absent and there's no teacher, I use a bit of my phone but when the teacher comes I put it away, and I stay all school day without using my mobile phone, and only use it when I go back home and when I'm home.

 

3 hours ago, SimonePiervergili said:

I only have YouTube, which is the only social media platform I like, and I just subscribed to your YouTube channel, and WhatsApp to chat with my friends.

I don't have any Facebook, Twitter (which is now X), Instagram or TikTok accounts, not like most teenagers of my age do.

 

Well I'm not a fan of those because I don't feel the need to create an account for any of those, and 2 social media platforms are already enough for me, and there are many other ways I can make myself public if I want to.

 

I also listen to music on YouTube, Spotify and SoundCloud.

 

3 hours ago, SimonePiervergili said:

I never had any Facebook, Twitter (X), Instagram or TikTok accounts either.

 

3 hours ago, SimonePiervergili said:

Well, I'm able to limit screen time by myself, without setting any limits or my parents telling me to.

For example, when I go to school, I stay 6 or 7 hours without using my phone, or at least not during the lesson, and I spend some time off the screen, and I only focus on the lesson and writing on paper, and I'm also busy all week, and especially when I have swimming lessons twice a week at 6 PM after school, and that way I limit my screen time and internet time quite enough.

I also spend time making music on music softwares so that way I don't have to always spend time on the internet.

 

However, sometimes, when the teacher is not in class or the teacher is absent and there's no teacher, I use a bit of my phone but when the teacher comes I put it away, and I stay all school day without using my mobile phone, and only use it when I go back home and when I'm home.

 

I only have YouTube, which is the only social media platform I like, and I just subscribed to your YouTube channel, and WhatsApp to chat with my friends.

I never had any Facebook, Twitter (which is now X), Instagram or TikTok accounts, not like most teenagers of my age do.

 

Well I'm not a fan of those because I don't feel the need to create an account for any of those, and 2 social media platforms are already enough for me, and there are many other ways I can make myself public if I want to.

 

I also listen to music on YouTube, Spotify and SoundCloud.

It's almost like this user is a bot, very strange...

 

Quote

However, sometimes, when the teacher is not in class or the teacher is absent and there's no teacher

... either that or kids today are just a little redundant, who knows.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm able to easily distinguish platforms, communities and environments I don't like pretty easily. I've always avoided public social media channels, those chan forums, and essentially all news sites.

As a result, the internet serves as an effective work, information and entertainment space without the need for breaks. We all control the content we consume and communities we expose ourselves too. If the internet becomes to much, it's likely you're making the mistake.

Edited by Chezza

Share this post


Link to post

I have, especially when I’m working a lot. I just don’t have the time for it and would rather use free time doing other things when I’m being overworked. 

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Lila Feuer said:

@Sonikkumania I don't know where you live but we've had a comical amount of mass shootings in recent years, it doesn't encourage wanting to go out to public gatherings and social events. I did experience my first concert in March 2022 and it went great, the only cause for concern being afterhours in a sketchy location, but still. I'm not really a huge social body to begin with so it doesn't affect me all that much, but I realize for others being out and about and being part of crowds is a big thing for them. It's just unfortunate that said crowds look like nice big inviting targets for people that never should've had access to firearms in the first place and with the way things have been going it's quite clear those in power really don't care if the current generation lives or dies. See Texas; which I'm originally from, and how Abbott feels about his own citizens and schoolchildren.

Yeah it seems like violent mass killings have increased. About 10 years ago my home city had a case where a guy killed and wounded several people with a hunting caliber rifle. Nowadays with the increased use of synthetic drug substances and kids admiring crime, it feels like tension has increased. I'd just spend time somewhere rural like the nature or walking roads. 

Share this post


Link to post

I take a breake here and there. Had to really laugh tho when someone asked if I even knew how to use a computer. Said nope and left it at that.

Share this post


Link to post

Without oversharing too much, a break from the internet would functionally be a break from %90 of my interactions with friends and family right now. I accept that it would probably be healthier if that wasn't the case, but that's just it is right now.

Share this post


Link to post

When I was in the psych ward the past month, I spent the first 10 days locked up without a cellphone. They eventually gave me my phone back, but even then I wasn't able to use a computer until I returned home after my whole 23 day stay. I'm still not sure how beneficial it was, if at all, given that context.

 

I'm likely to spend some unwilling Internet breaks soon because summer is about to come where I live and temperature can get up to 43 Celsius degrees, which makes staying all day in my room using the computer impossible.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
On 11/23/2023 at 4:18 PM, Sonikkumania said:

Do you guys ever do breaks from the Internet?

Few weeks ago my smart device became jammed and I was unable to surf the web.

Now I feel like it was really a good chance, given I've been a vivid user of the web pretty much my whole life.

So .. I guess I want to talk about this topic and see what others think about it.

I mean when you think about it, it could really improve on your life and give you more time for the day.

Do you honestly consider yourself to be addicted to the internet?

Also it kinda sucks that most of the necessary services (banking for example) are becoming more and more restricted to digital only services.

But that's not the point, you can only cheat the system with your imagination. My sports blog on TikTok has recently made some progress as I began get real tiktok likes It took me a while to filter out accounts that weren’t real, I searched for them and one service that offered organic growth out of all popped in on my screen. A small unit was picked to gauge response. The results were evolutionary but the change was manifesting itself. From time to time, genuine sports fans would drop their real likes, after which, the reach of my content began to stretch further. It felt gratifying to realize that I was not struggling in vain because the art community embraced me for the effort. This period made me aware of the worth of honest interactions and perseverance as an important virtue for establishing a strong following on TikTok.

i love social media but sometimes like to walk somewhere without my phone 

Edited by greendes

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
On 11/24/2023 at 3:29 AM, Lila Feuer said:

 

@Sonikkumania I don't know where you live but we've had a comical amount of mass shootings in recent years

 

Well I ain’t American. Even with that in mind I cannot put down my phone if it is in my reach for more than 20 minutes without something else with a screen entertaining me. (Or if I am sleeping or I am not allowed it.)

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×