Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EraserheadBaby

What comedians do you dig on?

Comedy is so purely subjective and covers any subject.  It's hard to just pick one, so feel free to leave a few. 

In no particular order:
Doug Stanhope

Bill Hicks   (warning, a lot of suicide talk in this one) 

Mitch Hedberg

Edit:

Oh my goodness, how could I forget Norm MacDonald

To be clear, I like Carlin.  I saw him live.  I'm just burned out on him. 

The thread was started for Stand up comedy, but I didn't specify.  Talk about any comedian, but try too mention at least 1 stand up act. 

Edited by EraserheadBaby

I've been an Eddie Izzard fan since the 90s. Classic Pryor, Murphy, Carlin and Chris Rock still totally slaps IMO.

I've been debating forcing my wife to watch Dana Carvey's Critic's Choice so she'll understand my OJ references, but I'm not confident it will hold up.

It's been quite a while since I've discovered anyone I enjoy on that level. I recently watched a special with Rhys Darby (Murray from Flight of the Conchords) and I really liked it.

2 minutes ago, Aaron Blain said:

I've been an Eddie Izzard fan since the 90s. Classic Pryor, Murphy, Carlin and Chris Rock still totally slaps IMO.

All great comedians.  And Dana Carvey is under rated.

Different comedians have got me at different times, but to me the best will always be Billy Connolly. My Mum didn't give a shit, and let me watch him from a young age, probably about 10. We saw him live in 2004 and it nearly killed me. I was in absolute agony for laughing. When I left, my face was stuck in a grin. I had to massage my cheeks to get them to relax.

20 minutes ago, Aaron Blain said:

Chris Rock

I haven't watched much of his standup, but I will forever love him for the time he was hosting some music awards show back in the day. Coldplay had just performed one of their snoozefest songs and everyone was applauding. Then Chris says "Daaaamn" - in that great way only black people can do - "I hope ya'll didn't slit your wrists listening to that." I was like "Yes! Thank you!". 

George Carlin

Bill Hicks

Mitch Hedberg

Jim Gaffigan

Stephen Fry

Bill Burr (to a point)

Doug Stanhope

Tom Segura

Eddie Murphy

Daniel Sloss

Jack Whitehall

Gad Elmalash

A fair few others that are in foreign languages and/or more obscure

Edited by LadyMistDragon

On this and all other days, I will spread the good word of Brian Regan and Russell Howard. Legends.

I've always adored quite a bit of the big names in the British comedy, both within the stand-up comedy and the sitcoms. 

Rowan Atkinson and Stephen Fry are a favorite, so is Hugh Laurie. Monty Python's Flying Circus is another particular favorite, and John Cleese and Terry Gilliam's solo work is nothing short of hilarious either. Rik Mayall is yet another favorite.

I can't think of much when it comes to American scene however, but if I've had to pick, it'd definitely be George Carlin. 

Fry and Laurie! I remember when that was on Hulu. Probably a little more indecipherably  British than Monty Python, but other than derogatory remarks against the Scots, French, and Welsh, there's nothing there I couldn't comprehend.

@LadyMistDragon I'm like that with Burr too.  He wants to be as edgy and no fucks as Norm and Doug, but he has a tendency to back down.  I don't know if that's why you like him to a point, but that's what gets me about him. 

1 minute ago, LadyMistDragon said:

Fry and Laurie! I remember when that was on Hulu. Probably a little more indecipherably  British than Monty Python, but other than derogatory remarks against the Scots, French, and Welsh, there's nothing there I couldn't comprehend.

It's English comedy. Never complete without a jab or two at any random race. Blackadder constantly put Germans at the butt end of the jokes for example. Heck, even once a jab at my own people, but eh... I don't particularly mind :P

38 minutes ago, Amaruψ said:

Rowan Atkinson and Stephen Fry are a favorite, so is Hugh Laurie.

Indeed. Their work in the various Blackadder series' is sublime. Also, Brian Blessed was brilliant in Blackadder season 1. It's not my favourite season, but his performance absolutely makes it worth watching. He walks away with every scene he's in and several he's not in as well.

Monty Python's Flying Circus is another particular favorite

Agree fully. When I answered initially was thinking more standup at the time. I particularly love the MP crew's ability to deliver absolute nonsense with complete sincerity.

Rik Mayall is yet another favorite.

His performance as Lord Flashheart in Blackadder was a masterclass in comedic scenery chewing.

Edited by Murdoch

30 minutes ago, Cammy said:

On this and all other days, I will spread the good word of Brian Regan and Russell Howard. Legends.

Brian Regan was one of Norm's favorite comics

Just now, Sonikkumania said:

AVGN, CV11, Cybershell..

From Television, Conan O'Brien, Spede Pasanen, Jope Ruonansuu, Benny Hill..

Do you like Yahtzee?  Also, way to bring in some internet talent. I was mostly thinking of stand up comedians, but this broadens things a bit

Gabriel Iglesias, George Carlin, Russell Howard, Sarah Millican, Jimmy Carr (for his hosting work, his standup is kinda ass), Ron White, Jessica Kirson (her crowdwork is DIVINE), Alex Horne, Greg Davies (Taskmaster is awesome).

2 hours ago, Murdoch said:

Also, Brian Blessed was brilliant in Blackadder season 1. It's not my favourite season, but his performance absolutely makes it worth watching. He walks away with every scene he's in and several he's not in as well.

FRICK I somehow forgot Brian Blessed. 

If we're also talking about YouTube and other associated internet things, then I'd say that I like Stuart Ashen a lot. Earlier videos from Lazy Game Reviews used to have some sort of a dry humor that I quite enjoyed, and I still enjoy it to the fullest.

48 minutes ago, Amaruψ said:

If we're also talking about YouTube and other associated internet things, then I'd say that I like Stuart Ashen a lot. Earlier videos from Lazy Game Reviews used to have some sort of a dry humor that I quite enjoyed, and I still enjoy it to the fullest.

Yeah LGR is good. There's a lets play guy called Gopher i used to watch who was brilliant at roleplaying bethesda games and responding to the dialogue and even the bugs in funny ways.