Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SirJuicyLemon

IRL Buildings that look like Doom Buildings

Hello y'all.

Sorry if this topic (or similar) has already been posted in the past. I tried to search for topics like this, but couldn't find any similar match.

Lately I've been wondering about Doom maps, how do mappers master their craft and where do they take their inspiration, and also wondering about Architecture in general aswell.

The other day I stumbled upon this photograph of the Teresa Carreño Theatre/Cultural Complex and though that, from my totally ignorant point of view, it kinda looks like a military building from Phobos, taken from Episode 1 of Doom. I have no knowledge of Architecture whatsoever so I can't really tell if there's actually any similarity in terms of architectural style or not.

image.png.3795a5fe8a3ac089d3cfe0072cbf0df4.pngimage.png.16c0cf9216bb093c4ca38adfa015491a.png

Anyways, have you found any other IRL buildings that you think looks like a Doom building? Has it inspired you to try and recreate it?

Greetings!

It loooks like some kind of futurist brutalism type of building but the windows on bottom image look strangely similar to BLAKWALL.

I would also add those irl locations which have the gargoyle face and other decorations, lol.

In England, many of our cities look like MAP13.

Okay, maybe that's a bit harsh. The drab colour scheme is there at least.

7 minutes ago, Sonikkumania said:

It loooks like some kind of futurist brutalism type of building but the windows on bottom image look strangely similar to BLAKWALL.

I would also add those irl locations which have the gargoyle face and other decorations, lol.

BLAKWALL was actually inspired by id Software's office building!

IMHO these look more like Quake 2 buildings.

(Edit: or maybe even Unreal 2?)

1 hour ago, Sonikkumania said:

It loooks like some kind of futurist brutalism type of building

Yeah! In fact, it is a Brutalist design AFAIK.

45 minutes ago, ax34 said:

IMHO these look more like Quake 2 buildings.

Very true!

Lots of post-soviet ones look boxy, some skyscrappers do too, that's why planisphere2 was possible in the boom engine.