Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomGappy

[Amalgoom Episode 1 - The Red Valley of Death is finally here!]

Recommended Posts

[IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENTS AND GENERAL UPDATES]

 

December is finally upon us. Hope everyone is having a very snowy or hot season, depending on which part of the hemisphere you are (it's hell on earth down here). Episode 1 maps are mostly finished and we're working hard to reach our celebratory December 10th deadline with a lot of bugtesting and rechecking. It will be a pleasure to celebrate Doom's 30th birthday of mapping alongside such talented people. The shareware version is being recompiled from scratch with the maps made by the team and we'll update a new version here as soon as it's done. 

 

OST - B Sides

@DankMetal announcement:
We are planning on making a separate midi pack for this project as an optional "addon" to use on this megawad, somethinng similar to a "B sides” compilation of sorts. You can make your own interpretation with the corresponding combination detailed on the spreadsheet we have on the google drive, or take 2 (or more) songs of your choice and make something completely new!

 

This idea came to life when some musicians decided to make their own interpretations of already taken slots, and also because there was an error with some slots having the wrong mashups. We didn't want to waste the talent of this guys, so we decided to include them as bonus songs for the future release of the whole soundtrack on youtube. Finally, the idea evolved into a community MIDI pack for this project.

 

When submitting a song, please detail which songs you mixed up and which map would you like to have your song play, and upload it on the “Epic B sides made by Epic people” folder inside the google drive, so you don't have to waste your precious attachment limit (Waste @DoomGappy's cloud storage instead). Hope to see those slots full very soon!

Diorama announcement

The idea for the diorama as an intermission screen has been put on hold for thetime being, but we'll come back to it eventually with a calmer and more structured approach. The original diorama is almost complete and is still stored in my computer, and will be uploaded on the drive folder to avoid losing it. It's not been scrapped, we'll return to it, but our focus is on finishing and polishing the first 10 maps.

That's all for now, thanks for participating!

Edited by DoomGappy

Share this post


Link to post

Just finished the song for map 20/"Hiding the Archvile" (titled D_HIDIN). I let the solos from Message for the Archvile drive the rest of the song because those are just way cool, especially the build up to the final guitar bend fest at the end of the song. Amusingly, changing the tuning to match the two songs wound being drop G<<chuggachuggaintensifies>> for the distorted guitars. Took a lot of love to recreate the guitar solo bends my software didn't import. The end result is that it gets progressively more intense and layered as the song progresses, with some dramatic flair peppered throughout, and each movement receiving a much needed taiko drum break. @Johnny Cruelty @DankMetal @DoomGappy @Cutman

Edited by Rus : New link

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Rus said:

Just finished the song for map 20/"Hiding the Archvile" (titled D_HIDIN). I let the solos from Message for the Archvile drive the rest of the song because those are just way cool, especially the build up to the final guitar bend fest at the end of the song. Amusingly, changing the tuning to match the two songs wound being drop G<<chuggachuggaintensifies>> for the distorted guitars. Took a lot of love to recreate the guitar solo bends my software didn't import. The end result is that it gets progressively more intense and layered as the song progresses, with some dramatic flair peppered throughout, and each movement receiving a much needed taiko drum break. @Johnny Cruelty @DankMetal @DoomGappy @Cutman

I actually loved this, but I don't have the technical language to explain why. I left it on loop for a solid 20 minutes before closing it. Loops really well!

Share this post


Link to post

Amazing! My map is long enough to properly appreciate it too. Can't wait to try them both together.

 

I'm actually shocked how many complete midis we have now, I thought having a full 32+ set was a pipe dream honestly. It just goes to show how strong of a concept this megawad is. Either that or DW is just foaming with midi artists ready to go :)

Edited by Cutman

Share this post


Link to post

(I really hope someone will name his map "Anal Doom". If it's in the contrary, this will be a wasted potential. :ahem: )

Share this post


Link to post

[IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT]

 

We've decided to make a concession on using the waterfall textures. They were cut in the original game due to constraints, but we don't need to do that anymore. You can use them by downloading the updated texture pack here or in the OP. It's been fixed thanks to @SpaceCat_2001's help and it works fine now. 

 

9lKlXV2.png

Edited by DoomGappy

Share this post


Link to post

I would have rather expected MAP31 and MAP32 to be fusions of E1M9/E2M9 and E3M9/E4M9 respectively, and I would have saved Plutonia maps for the inevitable Final Amalgoom project that mixes TNT Evilution and Plutonia.

 

Oh well, I am still curious to see what Wolfenstein 3D maps look like when given the Plutonia treatment.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Rudolph said:

I would have rather expected MAP31 and MAP32 to be fusions of E1M9/E2M9 and E3M9/E4M9 respectively, and I would have saved Plutonia maps for the inevitable Final Amalgoom project that mixes TNT Evilution and Plutonia.

 

Oh well, I am still curious to see what Wolfenstein 3D maps look like when given the Plutonia treatment.

Too late to change the thing, now we gonna roll with what we already did

 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Rudolph said:

I would have rather expected MAP31 and MAP32 to be fusions of E1M9/E2M9 and E3M9/E4M9 respectively, and I would have saved Plutonia maps for the inevitable Final Amalgoom project that mixes TNT Evilution and Plutonia.

 

Oh well, I am still curious to see what Wolfenstein 3D maps look like when given the Plutonia treatment.

We'll think about what to do from here on out. The primary focus is to finish the project the way it was started, and have a good final result. This entails a lot of things that still need to be done. We'll keep everyone posted on this thread.

Share this post


Link to post

Hey, is it fine if I submit D_DEAD? I noticed it wasn't in the drive yet, and I'm not sure if someone's working on it right now. My version's done, but I'll change anything that sounds overall awful (you could technically consider the whole midi bad, but it's a matter of perspective :P) I'll send a snippet if needed to make sure it's not some off-key abomination. Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, minimedals said:

Hey, is it fine if I submit D_DEAD? I noticed it wasn't in the drive yet, and I'm not sure if someone's working on it right now. My version's done, but I'll change anything that sounds overall awful (you could technically consider the whole midi bad, but it's a matter of perspective :P) I'll send a snippet if needed to make sure it's not some off-key abomination. Cheers!

I'm actually working on D_DEAD, but you can also make your own interpretation because:

21 hours ago, DoomGappy said:

We are planning on making a separate midi pack for this project as an optional "addon" to use on this megawad, somethinng similar to a "B sides” compilation of sorts. You can make your own interpretation with the corresponding combination detailed on the spreadsheet we have on the google drive, or take 2 (or more) songs of your choice and make something completely new!

 

Share this post


Link to post

Alright, submitted it to the Google Drive. Wasn't sure if I was supposed to give it the in-game name or the actual song name, so I just submitted it as D_DEAD.
Here's the info :

Song Name : Hit the Gas (didn't wanna just name it "fuel - mini's version")
Song Slot : Map10 - Waste Recycling
Song Sources : The Demon's Dead + I Sawed The Demons

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, DoomGappy said:

[IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT]

 

We've decided to make a concession on using the waterfall textures. They were cut in the original game due to constraints, but we don't need to do that anymore. You can use them by downloading the updated texture pack here or in the OP. It's been fixed thanks to @SpaceCat_2001's help and it works fine now. 

 

9lKlXV2.png

That's cool, but why?

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, GermanPeter said:

That's cool, but why?

More creative freedom, basically. Map02 and map03 use a lot of water areas, and maybe others will want to use them as well. Seeing as it was cut it felt right to restore it for this. 

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, DoomGappy said:

We'll think about what to do from here on out. The primary focus is to finish the project the way it was started, and have a good final result. This entails a lot of things that still need to be done. We'll keep everyone posted on this thread.

Oh no, I did not mean to imply that you would have to be the ones to make it, just that Amalgoom is bound to inspire similar projects.

Share this post


Link to post
24 minutes ago, DoomGappy said:

More creative freedom, basically. Map02 and map03 use a lot of water areas, and maybe others will want to use them as well. Seeing as it was cut it felt right to restore it for this. 

It's a neat addition, just felt it was a bit out of place for the project's theme (as it's not about beta restoration). But it's just one texture and this is also not my project, so it doesn't matter.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, minimedals said:

Alright, submitted it to the Google Drive. Wasn't sure if I was supposed to give it the in-game name or the actual song name, so I just submitted it as D_DEAD.
Here's the info :

Song Name : Hit the Gas (didn't wanna just name it "fuel - mini's version")
Song Slot : Map10 - Waste Recycling
Song Sources : The Demon's Dead + I Sawed The Demons

Really cool song! That harp/ synth calliope solo sounds like something made by pilotredsun.

I'm happy to see another interpretation of D_DEAD because my version deviates a lot from the original themes, going for something more inspired by Aubrey Hodges

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, GermanPeter said:

It's a neat addition, just felt it was a bit out of place for the project's theme (as it's not about beta restoration). But it's just one texture and this is also not my project, so it doesn't matter.

 

I think the project has been pretty loose with the rules the longer it has gone on. Some of us maybe would have preferred stricter limitations given the concept, but we're too far in now. Plus we've had some pretty neat maps come out of it so far with those limitations being shed. I was totally down for non-boom, limited textures etc and made my map with that template, but I ended up using some Boom specials anyway as they made things easier. I see the waterfall texture as just another fine tuning addition. If we started adding textures from Quake or something, then I'd be up in arms.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, GermanPeter said:

It's a neat addition, just felt it was a bit out of place for the project's theme (as it's not about beta restoration). But it's just one texture and this is also not my project, so it doesn't matter.

Yeah, what happens is thay we decided to add the plutonia textures EXCLUSIVELY for the secret levels, but people decided to make the WFALL texture as an exception, just because there was one map that "needed" it, because it was using the good ol' COMPBLUE as a replacement. I would've preferred to get rid of those waterfalls, they didn't serve any purpose anyways, but i guess it's too late.

But we can assure you, there wouldn't be any other exception like this.

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, DankMetal said:

Yeah, what happens is thay we decided to add the plutonia textures EXCLUSIVELY for the secret levels, but people decided to make the WFALL texture as an exception, just because there was one map that "needed" it, because it was using the good ol' COMPBLUE as a replacement. I would've preferred to get rid of those waterfalls, they didn't serve any purpose anyways, but i guess it's too late.

But we can assure you, there wouldn't be any other exception like this.

I don't really have strong feelings towards the texture (I mean why would I), but I think for the future, it'd be better to decide from the start whether or not custom textures like that are allowed. Feels weird doing it so late, because someone MIGHT have made a map differently if they had known they could have used it. I doubt it, but that's what rules are for. I don't think we need more discussions on the direction this project has taken :P

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, Cutman said:

Amazing! My map is long enough to properly appreciate it too. Can't wait to try them both together.

 

I'm actually shocked how many complete midis we have now, I thought having a full 32+ set was a pipe dream honestly. It just goes to show how strong of a concept this megawad is. Either that or DW is just foaming with midi artists ready to go :)

Oh man, I'm happy to hear that, thank you - I was also just thinking about how long of a map 'Gotcha!' was with a track length to match, so that's a good match up. I'm also surprised how many folks still dabble in the MIDI arts in current year, not to mention how many really well composed tracks there have been submitted to this project. Heads up - I just made a slight tweak to it - I was really fond of the sawtooth chords for the final solo, so I bumped the volume up a bit. Reuploaded here.

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, GermanPeter said:

I don't really have strong feelings towards the texture (I mean why would I), but I think for the future, it'd be better to decide from the start whether or not custom textures like that are allowed. Feels weird doing it so late, because someone MIGHT have made a map differently if they had known they could have used it. I doubt it, but that's what rules are for. I don't think we need more discussions on the direction this project has taken :P


We are working on and writing new rules for this new stage of the project. It's a shame that the beginning has been so disjointed and that so many people (myself included) have been directly offended by the former leader.
 

As you said, we don't need any more discussions about what directions the project has taken — however, it is important to give the direction in which the project will go from now on. We're talking and striving to reach a consensus on rules that ties the wad together without having to ask absurd things for the mappers who have come this far.

 

Everyone involved in the project is tired of hearing absurd requests. And we know why.

 

But it's best to avoid ambiguity: all your observations were extremely valid, @GermanPeter. Both in this thread and in the previous one.

Edited by The Royal We

Share this post


Link to post

[OPEN LETTER TO DOOMWORLD]

 

As the public may have already noticed, the Amalgoom project has undergone significant changes in recent days. 

 

Amalgoom began as a project conceived by DoomWorld member @Johnny Cruelty, on October 2nd, 2023, with the excellent proposal of making a megawad that united maps from Doom 1 and Doom 2. This desire was eventually embraced by a team of users, and Amalgoom went from being a project headed by one person to a team effort - A Community Project. Since then we've not only received excellent maps from amazing people, but also great ideas and an excellent soundtrack composed by members who have embarked on the project, like @DankMetal and @tamara mochaccina. Some others also have offered a helping hand, like @Cutman, @SpaceCat_2001, @The Royal We, and @Astro X. These members have been helping us organize, catalog and properly credit mappers, musicians, artists and their creations. 

 

This change of direction, however, even though it was intended to help Johnny himself - whose experience with megawads is still minimal - ended up displeasing him. As he became increasingly annoyed and closed to changes in the project (whether changes to his own maps or those of others, or other details of the project itself). The atmosphere, which was supposed to be one of exchanging experiences and learning, gradually deteriorated as Johnny Cruelty gratuitously disrespected even the members of his own team. With no one left to defend him, Johnny passed the baton to me, DoomGappy. I am now organizing the project, not alone, but with a united team, willing to correct the mistakes of the past (even those that were not caused by us).

 

That being said, we would like to state that Johnny's attitudes are not in line with Amalgoom's guidelines, and any disrespectfu or childish comments will no longer be tolerated from now on. Here are some of the DoomWorld members that deserve a public apology: 

 

@Clippy

@Dubbag

@The Royal We

@Ludi

@GermanPeter

And any other members who were disrespected by childish and rude attitudes. We know the list is long. 


This is not a message that I would like to be writing, but it is very important. I hope we can turn the page and soon launch this megawad, which is already proving to be full of great work and contributions from various members of the community.

Edited by DoomGappy

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Clippy said:

what took you guys so long

In my infinite teacher-ly patience, I had faith things would change. I still think they can, but not now and not for this project. It demands mature people to take mature decisions, and that's what we hope to gather here. 

Share this post


Link to post

I really hate corny-ass community drama but I'll just say this.

 

If you guys are really passionate about this project, I'd learn from this and do exactly the opposite of what happened here. I accept your apology and hope to see this project come to fruition :)

Edited by Ludi

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×