Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hfc2x

Doom: Evil Unleashed -- Status Update Thread

21 minutes ago, nue said:

I’ve been waiting a loooong time for this 

30 years in the making, am I right? lol.

LETS GOOOO!!!!! I'm really happy to see this still kickin'! Those preview videos back in the day helped inspire me to get more into Doom modding. I look forward to seeing more 👀

Woah, dude, thank you. Your stuff was one of the main motivators to kick development back into gear. Seeing your stuff made me go "wait, you can do that with ZScript now?" lol.

Ayyy, Great to finally see this return.
This was one of the mod that inspired me to start with Doom modding :D

I'm guessing the introduction of ZScript really pushed this forward, since you can now recreate many of the Doom Bible features.

On 12/19/2023 at 9:06 AM, jazzmaster9 said:

I'm guessing the introduction of ZScript really pushed this forward, since you can now recreate many of the Doom Bible features.

Yeah. It pretty was going to be completely impossible to do with ACS and Decorate only. We're still relying a lot on ACS, but ZScript has made a bunch of work super straightforward.

Fun fact: I had been doing some preliminary work with Chocolate Doom to create a version of Doom EU that's more "true" to what it was originally supposed to be, but the amount of work required to do that is just absolutely massive. I may give it another go in the future, but only after we get this version finished.

This is the kind of mod I've been looking for, and I'm gonna love it no matter what. Doom Delta was already on eof my favourites, and my obsession with alpha style Doom mods only grows each time I look more into it. Can't wait, but take as much time as you need and don't burn yourself out.

Wait a minute...

Are you... serious!?

That Evil Unleashed by hfc2x et al.!?

Awwww yiss!!!! *ahem* Pardon the overreaction.

Still, how can I ever forget my early days DOOMing while spending time checking this mod's development on ZDoom Forums and Wiki.

A very unexpected comeback, but a very pleasant one. Considering this is how KDiKDiZD finally materialized after a very long time, I have quite some expectation for this.

On 12/11/2023 at 3:58 AM, hfc2x said:

ETA: Early-to-mid 2024

Excuse me for bumping this thread, but I'd like to know how far the progress has been since this thread was posted. Hopefully not too far from release. ;)

Well, we're trying to get this ready for "release" ASAP, but certainly very soon. Fine-tuning certain maps so they actually work together (because a lot of connections are currently broken.. consider for example that Supply Depot 2 alone has exits to at least 4 other maps), adding or removing story elements, having a functional pause menu, and so on and so forth. The main problem is that we all are currently extremely busy to consistently grind away at the project. @⇛Marnetmar⇛ is starting a new job, and I have a ton of work IRL as of late, for reasons I can't really go into.

The reason "release" is in quotes is because this will be a mostly-completed, mostly-playable preview. Because we don't have an artist, things are gonna be a little bit rough-looking. Some maps will likely not be in their finished state either, but playable enough for everyone to see.

8 minutes ago, hfc2x said:

Well, we're trying to get this ready for "release" ASAP, but certainly very soon. Fine-tuning certain maps so they actually work together (because a lot of connections are currently broken.. consider for example that Supply Depot 2 alone has exits to at least 4 other maps), adding or removing story elements, having a functional pause menu, and so on and so forth. The main problem is that we all are currently extremely busy to consistently grind away at the project. @⇛Marnetmar⇛ is starting a new job, and I have a ton of work IRL as of late, for reasons I can't really go into.

The reason "release" is in quotes is because this will be a mostly-completed, mostly-playable preview. Because we don't have an artist, things are gonna be a little bit rough-looking. Some maps will likely not be in their finished state either, but playable enough for everyone to see.

I wouldn't mind getting an early access version of this, as long as it's playable and looks passable enough. We all can wait much later for a more completed version, given the real-life business of the authors. After all, the likes of Supplice and Selaco have been released under the early access moniker, and even people have been wowed by them (I know the comparison is a bit steep, but you get what I mean).

Posted (edited)

Hello, I found this thread and this project was really intruiging me conceptually and I wanted to bump it because I was curious about some things. It stands out to me that not only is it trying to create fleshed out interpretations of vague concepts created by Tom Hall that really could've been taken in any direction but it's actively trying to be a standalone game as well with a structure evocative of games like System Shock, Quake II or Hexen/Strife. haven't really seen an FPS that tries to have both overt narrative elements and a semi-open world of interlinked levels without some RPG-lite element attached (not that it's a bad thing of course) 

If you don't mind there's a few questions I have on my mind related to the project as a whole, what's shown off in the first post specifically and the upcoming nebulous early access release. I do hope I'm making myself clear and not being too overbearing by asking these as well.

-what exactly is the scope of this upcoming release going to be?? a rough cut of Episode 1 with some things missing/not yet polished for demonstration purposes?

-Is the project going to use any resources from Doom II (monsters, textures, music, its additional linedef/special types) in its maps somewhere since a lot of assets and even a revamped version of a map planned for the first game ended up there?

-without spoiling anything how is general game progression going to work now that levels are all linked together rather than organized linearly in an arbitrary order. how exactly will the different story vectors, classic tools like keys or switches and new gameplay features that affect levels directly factor into it?

-I noticed that there's 3 full new weapons slots that occasionally turn green and 2 extra ammo types on the bottom that aren't present in all the screenshots and was wondering what that's about. also curious what the zoomed out picture on weapon progression is going to look like in general.

-is Score going to serve a gameplay function related to gaining Lives for reaching specific escalating milestones arcade style or is it going to be a little extra flourish that's there if players want to shoot for it?

Edited by UserPlayer89

Posted (edited)
On 7/8/2024 at 10:25 PM, UserPlayer89 said:

Hello, I found this thread and this project was really intruiging me conceptually and I wanted to bump it because I was curious about some things. It stands out to me that not only is it trying to create fleshed out interpretations of vague concepts created by Tom Hall that really could've been taken in any direction but it's actively trying to be a standalone game as well with a structure evocative of games like System Shock, Quake II or Hexen/Strife. haven't really seen an FPS that tries to have both overt narrative elements and a semi-open world of interlinked levels without some RPG-lite element attached (not that it's a bad thing of course) 

If you don't mind there's a few questions I have on my mind related to the project as a whole, what's shown off in the first post specifically and the upcoming nebulous early access release. I do hope I'm making myself clear and not being too overbearing by asking these as well.

-what exactly is the scope of this upcoming release going to be?? a rough cut of Episode 1 with some things missing/not yet polished for demonstration purposes?

-Is the project going to use any resources from Doom II (monsters, textures, music, its additional linedef/special types) in its maps somewhere since a lot of assets and even a revamped version of a map planned for the first game ended up there?

-without spoiling anything how is general game progression going to work now that levels are all linked together rather than organized linearly in an arbitrary order. how exactly will the different story vectors, classic tools like keys or switches and new gameplay features that affect levels directly factor into it?

-I noticed that there's 3 full new weapons slots that occasionally turn green and 2 extra ammo types on the bottom that aren't present in all the screenshots and was wondering what that's about. also curious what the zoomed out picture on weapon progression is going to look like in general.

-is Score going to serve a gameplay function related to gaining Lives for reaching specific escalating milestones arcade style or is it going to be a little extra flourish that's there if players want to shoot for it?

1. You can expect a chunk of a few levels of episode one that will demonstrate how the hub system works. Expect a good deal of programmer art.

2. Certain assets from Doom 2 like the super shotgun and certain decorations are used. Since Doom EU is for Doom 1, it checks for the Doom 2 IWAD and loads those assets if the IWAD is present. Otherwise, replacement assets in a file called ExtraArt.wad are loaded instead. @hfc2x can explain more about this.

3. Standalone levels use regular colored keys for progression while larger chunks of the world map are locked behind world keys which include the Officer's Pass, Colonel's Hand, Engineer's Pass and so-on. Some levels are technically enterable at first but are locked from the inside and require the player to find another way in through the other levels.   

4. Certain weapon slots have two weapons, and they turn green when you have both weapons with you. 

5. The score system is used for extra lives, and in addition, certain sections of the world contain upgrade stations ala System Shock 2 where points from collecting treasure are spent which allow you to upgrade your ammo capacity and so forth. This replaces the backpack mechanic from the original Doom, and the backpack item itself is now used for a completely different purpose, but I'm not sure if hfc2x wants me to spoil it yet or not lol

Edited by ⇛Marnetmar⇛

8 hours ago, ⇛Marnetmar⇛ said:

1. You can expect a chunk of a few levels of episode one that will demonstrate how the hub system works. Expect a good deal of programmer art.

I'm fine with a Hub system as long as it doesn't require elaborate scavenger hunt puzzles Hexen 2 style

2. Certain assets from Doom 2 like the super shotgun and certain decorations are used. Since Doom EU is for Doom 1, it checks for the Doom 2 IWAD and loads those assets if the IWAD is present. Otherwise, replacement assets in a file called ExtraArt.wad are loaded instead. @hfc2x can explain more about this.

that's actually more involved than I'd thought. this means it's bestiary isn't planned then?

3. Standalone levels use regular colored keys for progression while larger chunks of the world map are locked behind world keys which include the Officer's Pass, Colonel's Hand, Engineer's Pass and so-on. Some levels are technically enterable at first but are locked from the inside and require the player to find another way in through the other levels.   

so keycards/skulls are level-only and world keys are universal?

5. The score system is used for extra lives, and in addition, certain sections of the world contain upgrade stations ala System Shock 2 where points from collecting treasure are spent which allow you to upgrade your ammo capacity and so forth. This replaces the backpack mechanic from the original Doom, and the backpack item itself is now used for a completely different purpose, but I'm not sure if hfc2x wants me to spoil it yet or not lol

now treasure finally has a use! Zoom calling the Storekeeper

15 hours ago, ⇛Marnetmar⇛ said:

and the backpack item itself is now used for a completely different purpose, but I'm not sure if hfc2x wants me to spoil it yet or not lol

Oohh, does your breegull buddy ride in it?

17 hours ago, UserPlayer89 said:

I'm fine with a Hub system as long as it doesn't require elaborate scavenger hunt puzzles Hexen 2 style

The general idea is that the game has to be very open, and there have to be multiple solutions to everything, kind of like in System Shock. There's some general progression that's going to be common to all playthroughs, like starting at Hangar 2, and ending at Anomaly. The idea is that you can solve puzzles and progress in many different ways, even probably unintended ways.

that's actually more involved than I'd thought. this means it's bestiary isn't planned then?

Bestiary is what you generally can find in the Doom Bible. That is, most enemies you see in episode 1 of vanilla Doom, but also including other cut enemies like the Flying Imp (and no, they're unrelated to "imps", which are actually Demon Troopers).

so keycards/skulls are level-only and world keys are universal?

There's no skull keys, since you don't travel to hell until the very end. But yes, keycards are level-specific. You can leave levels and return, but the keys you collect in a given level are only usable in said level. For hub-wide keys, those are classified as "important items" instead.

now treasure finally has a use! Zoom calling the Storekeeper

You'll have to go to THESTORE in person, I'm afraid.

11 hours ago, Gez said:

Oohh, does your breegull buddy ride in it?

She likes it rough, so only if you're willing to deliver.

4 hours ago, hfc2x said:

The general idea is that the game has to be very open, and there have to be multiple solutions to everything, kind of like in System Shock. There's some general progression that's going to be common to all playthroughs, like starting at Hangar 2, and ending at Anomaly. The idea is that you can solve puzzles and progress in many different ways, even probably unintended ways.

Bestiary is what you generally can find in the Doom Bible. That is, most enemies you see in episode 1 of vanilla Doom, but also including other cut enemies like the Flying Imp (and no, they're unrelated to "imps", which are actually Demon Troopers).

There's no skull keys, since you don't travel to hell until the very end. But yes, keycards are level-specific. You can leave levels and return, but the keys you collect in a given level are only usable in said level. For hub-wide keys, those are classified as "important items" instead.

You'll have to go to THESTORE in person, I'm afraid.

I appreciate the thorough response, meant to reply earlier but I was sucked into Quake again lol

1- the fact you can just go about things how you want and even potentially miss some maps entirely sounds really intruiging, this new structure also sounds like it has the potential for really deviously hidden secret levels if those are even planned

2- I can already tell the Blobs and Former Liutenants are going to be bastards. will there perhaps be some new previously unseen badguys outside what's described in the bible planned as well? could especially see that happening with the episode endbosses.

3- THANK GOD you guys aren't adhering 100% to the bible for the level structure. going between the base and hell a few times till you randomly get arrested, end up on anoher planet and then proceed to do the same thing over again sounded like it would've been really fatiguing, especially since Hall wanted at minimum 13 maps per episode. that would've been nearly Wolf3D levels of repetition after awhile

4- so the upgrade terminals are something else then

9 hours ago, UserPlayer89 said:

2- I can already tell the Blobs and Former Liutenants are going to be bastards. will there perhaps be some new previously unseen badguys outside what's described in the bible planned as well? could especially see that happening with the episode endbosses.

I have no idea where you got this from. Doom EU is not an alpha/beta revival project, or anything like that. If it's not in the Doom Bible, you won't see it here. We're not taking development leaked assets seriously, unless they were specifically created for something mentioned directly in the version of the Doom Bible that's publicly available. If you want a different kind of experience, you can always play Doom Delta (much love to @DrPyspy btw).

Doom EU is not even expected to be compatible with Doom Delta. Both projects modify the game in such deep, extensive ways, that it's pretty much impossible they're compatible. You can always try, but I don't think it's going to go well.

9 hours ago, UserPlayer89 said:

3- THANK GOD you guys aren't adhering 100% to the bible for the level structure. going between the base and hell a few times till you randomly get arrested, end up on anoher planet and then proceed to do the same thing over again sounded like it would've been really fatiguing, especially since Hall wanted at minimum 13 maps per episode. that would've been nearly Wolf3D levels of repetition after awhile

Again, no idea where you're getting this from. We are adhering pretty much 99.9% to the structure laid out in the Doom Bible. I think you either misread the Doom Bible or you haven't read it in a while. What you're mentioning are different episodes, not levels.

Doom was never explicitly stated to have 13 levels per episode either. The Doom Bible explicitly names and describes 13 levels, but if you actually count, it could either be 17 or even more than 30 depending on how you separate those concepts based on what id Software started building, even the first alpha. We chose to be as conservative as possible, and as a result, Doom EU "technically" has 15 levels. Episode 2 was suggested to have 14 levels but it doesn't even look like you're supposed to explore them all in one go. Beyond that, nothing else has ever stated, and it's pure speculation.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, hfc2x said:

I have no idea where you got this from. Doom EU is not an alpha/beta revival project, or anything like that. If it's not in the Doom Bible, you won't see it here. We're not taking development leaked assets seriously, unless they were specifically created for something mentioned directly in the version of the Doom Bible that's publicly available. If you want a different kind of experience, you can always play Doom Delta (much love to @DrPyspy btw).

Doom EU is not even expected to be compatible with Doom Delta. Both projects modify the game in such deep, extensive ways, that it's pretty much impossible they're compatible. You can always try, but I don't think it's going to go well.

ive had that on my mind subconciously recently after playing both doom ii and kdikdizd with it so apologies lol. honestly nearly like how it feels more than stock Doom 1. never expected EU to be compatible with gameplay mods anyways and neither should other ppl imo. also haven't actually checked the Doom Bible in awhile despite finding a clean PDF scan, both nearly misremembering and kinda pulling from nowhere

Edited by UserPlayer89