Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Duke3D Source Released

This apparently isn't a joke, as 3D Realms has announced on their webpage that they have finally released the source code, GPLed, to that other 2.5-D FPS that we all love and/or hate. Obviously this isn't Doom news but do you see so many other pressing stories that this is wasting your time?! You can head over to the 3DR webpage to download it, I assume someone will be making a ZDuke or a Dukesday or a Duke Legacy before long. BTW way to go 3DR, it only took you five years longer than id! Woo!

Kinda late, but at least they released it under the GPL. Unlike some companies we could mention eh?

Very late but still cool

"BTW way to go 3DR, it only took you five years longer than id! Woo!"

nothing new there :)

Yay! Soon i'll be able to do dukeskins for multiplayer....as if.

Bleh! That's the most april-fool thing you're gonna get out of me.

Ultraviolet said:

The Duke what?

The community - you know, a bunch of diehard fans all over the world that still play and make maps etc. for a game. In this case, Duke. (yes, there are still maps being made for it - the excellent Roch series for example)

Anyway, now the source has been released, hopefully we'll get a windows port of Duke that will let me play it with sound. (hooray!)

/me awaits the release of ZDuke 2.0 (oh wait, Duke already has most of those features...)

Ultimate DooMer said:

Anyway, now the source has been released, hopefully we'll get a windows port of Duke that will let me play it with sound. (hooray!)

That's basically all I'm asking for.

This is great news!

Ultimate DooMer said:

The community - you know, a bunch of diehard fans all over the world that still play and make maps etc. for a game. In this case, Duke. (yes, there are still maps being made for it - the excellent Roch series for example)

/me awaits the release of ZDuke 2.0 (oh wait, Duke already has most of those features...)

Not much of a community. Give me one good Duke site. NOT PlanetDuke, that place is a disgrace. Anyway they should of gave out the source long ago.

thats hilarious...took them long enough shit anywho i hope they do make a port for duke or somthin that would be awesome... or a launcher with various ports like kingdoom but kingduke or someshit ... for witchhaven and blood and so many other titles that use the duke3d engine .. lol ..

CacoCaddy said:

Not much of a community. Give me one good Duke site. NOT PlanetDuke, that place is a disgrace. Anyway they should of gave out the source long ago.

ThisStrife.com. Sure the community there's largely based around the comic on that site, but there's still a few projects roaming around (glBUILD, The Night The Forums Went Crazy, BobSPx, and my own LABRAT mod.)

Trasher][ said:
ThisStrife.com. Sure the community there's largely based around the comic on that site, but there's still a few projects roaming around (glBUILD, The Night The Forums Went Crazy, BobSPx, and my own LABRAT mod.)

Now feel stupid. I used to go there all the time and read that comic.
Don't they also do work on DukeGL? Now that I realize it I have people on my AIM buddy list from there. Those silly Ken Sliverman Worshippers. :p

thats hilarious...took them long enough shit anywho i hope they do make a port for duke or somthin that would be awesome... or a launcher with various ports like kingdoom but kingduke or someshit ... for witchhaven and blood and so many other titles that use the duke3d engine .. lol ..

Bastards. All this waiting, and it ends up using quite a bit of inline ASM, making the possibility of a PocketPC port quite distant.

Doom used lots of ASM, also.

You just need to refactor it out, not a particularly difficult task :P

MORBIDTWATT said:

Not the Duke 3d Engine, the BUILD engine, and Blood and Shadow Warrior are heavily modified, heh, so, to rebuild Blood or Shadow Warrior from Duke 3d's source would be nigh-impossible :-P

CacoCaddy said:

Now feel stupid. I used to go there all the time and read that comic.
Don't they also do work on DukeGL? Now that I realize it I have people on my AIM buddy list from there. Those silly Ken Sliverman Worshippers. :p

They gave up on DukeGL a while back and decided to port BUILD to OpenGL first, to do the majirity of engine work easily.

Found this in game.c, quoting here:

/*
Duke Nukem V

Layout:

Settings:
Suburbs
Duke inflitrating neighborhoods inf. by aliens
Death Valley:
Sorta like a western. Bull-skulls half buried in the sand
Military compound: Aliens take over nuke-missle silo, duke
must destroy.
Abondend Aircraft field
Vegas:
Blast anything bright! Alien lights camoflauged.
Alien Drug factory. The Blue Liquid
Mountainal Cave:
Interior cave battles.
Jungle:
Trees, canopee, animals, a mysterious hole in the earth with
gas seaping thru.
Penetencury:
Good use of spotlights:
Mental ward:
People whom have claimed to be slowly changing into an
alien species

Inventory:
Wood,
Metal,
Torch,
Rope,
Plastique,
Cloth,
Wiring,
Glue,
Cigars,
Food,
Duck Tape,
Nails,
Piping,
Petrol,
Uranium,
Gold,
Prism,
Power Cell,

Hand spikes (Limited usage, they become dull)
Oxygent (Oxygen mixed with stimulant)

Player Skills:
R-Left,R-Right,Foward,Back
Strafe, Jump, Double Flip Jump for distance
Help, Escape
Fire/Use
Use Menu

After a brief resbit, Duke decides to get back to work.

Cmdr: "Duke, we've got a lot of scared people down there.
Some reports even claim that people are already
slowly changing into aliens."
Duke: "No problem, my speciality is in croud control."
Cmdr: "Croud control, my ass! Remember that incident
during the war? You created nuthin' but death and
destruction."
Duke: "Not destruction, justice."
Cmdr: "I'll take no responsibility for your actions. Your on
your own! Behave your self, damnit! You got that,
soldger?"
Duke: "I've always been on my own... Face it, it's ass kickin' time,
SIR!"
Cmdr: "Get outta here...!"
(Duke gives the Cmdr a hard stair, then cocks his weapon and
walks out of the room)
Cmdr: In a wisper: "Good luck, my friend."

(Cut to a scene where aliens are injecting genetic material
into an unconcious subject)

Programming: ( the functions I need )
Actors:
Multi-Object sections for change (head,arms,legs,torsoe,all change)
Facial expressions. Pal lookup per poly?

struct imagetype
{
int *itable; // AngX,AngY,AngZ,Xoff,Yoff,Zoff;
int *idata;
struct imagetype *prev, *next;
}

*/

Yeah, I noticed that too... Sounds very intriguing. It amazes me that someone who spells seeps "seaps" can code so well :)

But, I want BLOOD. That's the best build game there was.