Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomGappy

Do you strafe run to the left or to the right?

Do you strafe run to the left or to the right?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Do you strafe run to the left or to the right? I'm curious about it.

• To the left (W+A)
    • to the right (W+D)
    • I can strafe run both ways

So, I wanted to know which direction people run around. I can't seem to strafe run to the right, only to the left. I was watching a @Clippy video and he did it to the right. Do you have a preference?

While the split is ⅓/⅓/⅓ I'll state that I strafe run both ways, because I do it whenever possible.

Any time I'm doing it to clear a large jump or whatever, it's to the right. My aim is better that way.

You can set up "easy" SR50 by binding turn left or right as well as "strafe on" to the same key. Often this takes manual editing of config files, since most ports won't let you bind one key to multiple actions (with GZDoom you can set up aliases instead; I don't know if this actually works for SR50 though I assume it would). So for example I use WASD for movement but also have Q set to both turn right and strafe on, so I can SR50 by pressing QWD. Anyhow ports like Chocolate and Crispy Doom only let you have one key for most actions so you have to pick between left and right for this setup, and so this might reinforce a preference for straferunning in one direction.

edit: See 4shock's clarification below for rules on recording demos for DSDA etc. If you're just playing casually, it doesn't matter.

Edited by plums

I hadn't realised I had a preference until this topic. Although I'm able to SR40 in both directions to equivalent amounts of accuracy, if I absolutely want precision for a jump then I'm gonna A/D that and go left. As I say, I hadn't really thought about that. So although I can do both, voted 'left'.

8 minutes ago, plums said:

You can set up "easy" SR50 by binding turn left or right as well as "strafe on" to the same key. Often this takes manual editing of config files, since most ports won't let you bind one key to multiple actions (with GZDoom you can set up aliases instead).

Just be aware that it's not allowed for demo recording.

On the topic - it doesn't matter for me for SR40 at all, but with SR50 I think I SR50 to the right "by default" when there is no difference, but when the movement/turns are smoother with SL50, I would SL50.

Could be funny to make a tool that analyses a demo to find how many right and left SR50 inputs there are in each player's demos.

24 minutes ago, Ravendesk said:

Just be aware that it's not allowed for demo recording.

Oh really? I thought it was allowed since it's something you can set up with the original doom.exe.

This is different from things like turning with SR50 on, or that version of PrBoom+ that let you do it with normal strafing.

edit: @4shockblast got a minute to weigh in? I couldn't find a definitive yes or no answer from a search.

24 minutes ago, Ravendesk said:

Could be funny to make a tool that analyses a demo to find how many right and left SR50 inputs there are in each player's demos.

Something like this perhaps?

Edited by plums

7 minutes ago, plums said:

Oh really? I thought it was allowed since it's something you can set up with the original doom.exe.

Binding two inputs to one key with manual config modification is not allowed, but you can double-check with 4shock or kraflab to make sure.

10 minutes ago, plums said:

Something like this perhaps?

Oh right, maybe. You would need to modify the scripts for the silly task of finding a left vs right strafes percentage, but yeah.

I tend to straferun in whichever direction allows me to most efficiently collide with a rocket.

3 hours ago, plums said:

edit: @4shockblast got a minute to weigh in? I couldn't find a definitive yes or no answer from a search.

It's allowed the way you describe it (i.e., forcing you to strafe50 in one particular direction). What's not allowed is manually editing the cfg to have strafe on on multiple keys, so you can strafe50 both left and right with fewer inputs.

WRT the question of the OP, I strafe50 depending on the geometry of the map and where I'm going afterwards, if it's a speedrun at least; if I have to turn right next, then I would want to face that direction, so that means SR50ing left, etc. Otherwise, casually, doesn't matter for me, really.

7 minutes ago, 4shockblast said:

It's allowed the way you describe it (i.e., forcing you to strafe50 in one particular direction). What's not allowed is manually editing the cfg to have strafe on on multiple keys, so you can strafe50 both left and right with fewer inputs.

A-ha, that makes a lot of sense to me. Thanks for the clarification!

I know a lot of speedrunning talk is done on discord these days but it might be worth putting that rule/clarification under the DSDA Intro page's advanced features list, since that seems to be a good collection of similar rules. (Being able to have strafe on multiple keys is enough of an advanced feature to justify it I think?)

13 hours ago, plums said:

Any time I'm doing it to clear a large jump or whatever, it's to the right. My aim is better that way.

You can set up "easy" SR50 by binding turn left or right as well as "strafe on" to the same key. Often this takes manual editing of config files, since most ports won't let you bind one key to multiple actions (with GZDoom you can set up aliases instead; I don't know if this actually works for SR50 though I assume it would). So for example I use WASD for movement but also have Q set to both turn right and strafe on, so I can SR50 by pressing QWD. Anyhow ports like Chocolate and Crispy Doom only let you have one key for most actions so you have to pick between left and right for this setup, and so this might reinforce a preference for straferunning in one direction.

edit: See 4shock's clarification below for rules on recording demos for DSDA etc. If you're just playing casually, it doesn't matter.

I never even knew of the terms. Guess I was referring to 40 speed, then, left or right. I am no speedrunner so just running at an angle while having fun for me is fine, but for some reason I only do it to the left. Is there a difference? Is straqfing right faster? And why would it be? I'm curious.

46 minutes ago, DoomGappy said:

I never even knew of the terms. Guess I was referring to 40 speed, then, left or right. I am no speedrunner so just running at an angle while having fun for me is fine, but for some reason I only do it to the left. Is there a difference? Is straqfing right faster? And why would it be? I'm curious.

Speeds either direction are the same.

9 hours ago, plums said:

A-ha, that makes a lot of sense to me. Thanks for the clarification!

I know a lot of speedrunning talk is done on discord these days but it might be worth putting that rule/clarification under the DSDA Intro page's advanced features list, since that seems to be a good collection of similar rules. (Being able to have strafe on multiple keys is enough of an advanced feature to justify it I think?)

Actually, there really isn't anyone working on the website maintenance at the moment, but at some point, that rules section will need to be revamped, indeed.

To the right mostly because that was the only direction that it could be done on keyboard only controls. Old shitty keyboards would always beep at you if you tried ALT+SHIFT+Left and Up arrows.

Ever since I got a mechanical keyboard with no input limit where circle strafing to the left is possible, I've been trying to incorporate it into my gameplay, but breaking years and years of habit has proven quite difficult. Not to mention I find it much more difficult to actually perform with my fingers.

All directions, since I try to straferun nearly at all times. It's different with SR50, which I'm only comfortable doing to the right.

I am keyboard only player, so Strafing is pretty easy for me both ways coz controls are very much in my reach. Just like RonLivingston said, even I use strafing right and left to dodge projectiles.

I generally practice dodging Imp, Mancubus, Cacodemon, Hell Knight, Baron, Revenant, Cyberdemon and other enemies who use projectiles on fast monsters and even when partial invisibilty on. Just to practice and improve my reflexes.

Dodging stuff? Both ways.

Circling and jumping? Left / clockwise pretty much always.

I'm a confused lefty irl. I had a couple funny moments in maps I can't remember now where the author intended a right-sided SR jump and I couldn't do it to save my life.

Mostly to the right to the point that my D key is sometimes very unresponsive (should fix that probably).

9 hours ago, DoomGappy said:

Yeah sorry for the digression. Casual players, myself included, really don't need SR50 at all, it can just make some jumps and things a little easier at times -- especially ones you're not meant to be able to do ;)

Anyone looking to speedrun is waaaay better off learning how to SR50 in either direction anyhow.