Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Malevolent

Duke Nukem 3D source released, potential editor port?

It's been a long time since I did any Doom level editing, mainly because I didn't have the patience to deal with the editors back when I tried it. When Duke Nukem 3D came out, I found level creation simple and entertaining because of that really sweet editor that came with it. The Duke Nukem 3D source is now available under the GPL, and so is the Ken Silverman's original build engine, so what are the odds that we may see the build editor modified to support Doom editing?

The Duke Nukem 3D source is available here:
http://www.3ddownloads.com/linuxgames/duke3d/duke3dsource.zip

(It says it was added April 1st, so I'm not sure if this is a joke or not :/)

If that nice, easy to use editor became available for Doom editing, I think I could very easily get back into it... Any thoughts?

Ichor said:

It looks like someone beat you to it.

I did not know that the source release had been pointed out, but that thread does not answer the questions I asked anyway. :]

I didn't care much for the game Duke Nukem 3D, all I want is the editor, so I can make maps for a far better (IMHO) game. >:]

I think Blood is better in some ways anyway. If they haven't yet, I hope they release its source code so someone can finally fix that sound reverb bug. There's a patch for Duke Nukem and Shadow Warrior, but oddly enough, no one has made one for Blood.

Shadow Warrior was my favorite of all the Build Engine games. Blood seemed to lack the comedic value of Duke and Shadow, so I didn't care for that one much.

And what is this reverb bug? I'm sorry, I don't believe I noticed it when I was a naive little kid playing these games. :)

Some sound cards have this problem (mine being one of them, unfortunately). Every time you go into the water in Duke Nukem and Shadow Warrior or use the biosuit in Blood, it uses a reverb sound effect, which crashes the game most unpleasantly. It only does this in Windows. If I go to DOS mode, it works just fine.

I imagine changing the BUILD editor to edit Doom would be quite some work. It would be nice if there was a Win32 or at least stable DOS version of the BUILD editor though, as it sometimes crashes when going from 3D to 2D mode (screen turns black and computer locks up).