Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tormentor667

[Program Suggestion]

Well, I just have the idea of creating a small little program that would really help everyone, who creates maps based on texture packs. Well, my idea is:

The program checks all the maps, which have been loaded in, for texture and flat names and keeps them in mind. Then the program looks for these textures in the resource wad, also been defined before, copys them in a new wad (FLATS, TEXTURES and TEXTURE.LMP) and saves it (or just deletes all the unused textures).

I think it is not that hard for someone to code something like this (for me it is, because I am a real bad coder, ACS is my final frontier :D) and that's why I post this here. Maybe someone creates this little neat prog :) The community would be thankful :)

I'm quite sure that such a program already exists, but I'm too lazy to do research. Hmm, Deepsea?

I asked for this long ago. and noone knew a program that could do it, not even deepsea.

Deepsea just can tell you, which textures are used within a wad. Unfortunately you have to delete them all manually by hand and thats a real bone-job :(

Heh Fredrik, I remember when you (or was it shaviro?) wanted me to write such a program. Must be like 2 years ago now :P

You can't really automatically do all that because of animation issues. However, the hardest part is done by DeePsea - an automatic list of all textures/flats not used - with a warning that some may be animations. F7 (imagine that), then "PWAD - Lump Fixing, etc". Check the button on the right side of the dialog, after you've selected the PWAD to check.

Deleting textures is pretty simple, then do the PNAMES and last the patches. I bet the basic work can be done in 1/2 hour or less once you get the idea. Then about the same amount for double checking you didn't screw up by play testing each level.

Well, you could eventually get past that animation issue by checking the "ANIMDEFS" lump or the textures between an Doom2 animation start and animation end file.

Nevertheless, also without that animation thing, it would be very helpful to code something like this (users could add the animations back to the wad manually)

Tormentor667 said:

Well, you could eventually get past that animation issue by checking the "ANIMDEFS" lump or the textures between an Doom2 animation start and animation end file.

Nevertheless, also without that animation thing, it would be very helpful to code something like this (users could add the animations back to the wad manually)

Well, there's 1 more way than that to do animations. I try to avoid specific code for specific ports and specific names to give lots of flexibility.

Other problems is that very few people READ. So what will happen is that the animations are gone and guess what gets the blame?

I might do it anyway since it's not terribly difficult and spit out a HUGE message about animations:) More a job of linking existing code together.

The obvious solution would be to put in textures as you need them instead of loading sixteen texture packages into your wad. =P

I think someone created a program like this for the Darkening Episode 1, but it never got publically released for some reason.

EDIT: oh yes, and it did mess up the animated textures :)

The only program I know (besides what I posted above) lists textures used (not unused). And then from that they manually constructed a texture list. I could be wrong, but I believe that is what was done. Listing the ones used is duck simple compared to "not used".