Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Janderson

All-Out Civil War

I went on this level on final doom and it was filled with all types of creatures. I just ran through, died in the process, and the greatest battle ever happened, the former men all got eaten by demons, the reverants sucked, cacodemons slaughtered them and the demons, imps kicked some ass until the mancubi came along and beat them...it rocked!
Ok dudes(finished ranting), like, whats the best demon crossfire action you've seen.
(All my other posts have sucked so far so I'm trying to think of something decent for a change. Is it?)

Why isn't this in classic Doom general?

I dunno - had so many "best" battles that I can't tell which is the best.

OooO! You'll all get to play it soon, in map10 of my doom2 partial converstion there is a HUGE battle going on, and you come in right in the middle of it. Its wonderful, it really feels like war! Fire from all sides, complete mayhem! hehe

Use3D said:

OooO! You'll all get to play it soon, in map10 of my doom2 partial converstion there is a HUGE battle going on, and you come in right in the middle of it. Its wonderful, it really feels like war! Fire from all sides, complete mayhem! hehe

Remind me, I'd like to play that! Contrary to most people's opinions, I like those urbanlevels in Doom II. I love big outside battles with hordes of Demons.

I gotta see this! Dude send me the link.
I reckon interdemon battles are the best aspect of any of the doom games...

I'll get some screen captures of that for you guys, it's a fucking gigantic level, almost 2000 sectors and it's only half done. ;P Maybe this explains why I've been working on this converstion for about 6 years. :p

I'm pretty far along in the STRAIN megawad, and last night i just finished a level with an assload of enemies down in some underground cavernous tunnel type deal, and i run in a bit, just enough to get em started firing, and walk away, and let em at it. it was pretty damn sweet. i dont remember the level name

Sometimes I create maps for just this sort of thing. I created a large room with a sky and put in all kinds of enemies, most of them ground types. Then I put in one, maybe two Death Wyverns (yes, this is Hexen I'm talking about). After I die, I just sit there and watch as the Death Wyvern wipes out nearly every enemy without getting hit more than a couple of times.

Other times I make maps using many of my new enemies. I'd put various big monsters in a large room and just watch the fun. Many times the Heresiarch wins because of his reflective shield, but other times he was caught off guard and just gets wasted by someone else (sometimes they gang up on him, heheh).

Best ever was a huge fight that happened in Alien Vendetta. After all the big beasts had fought it out the winner was a lowly imp which had about 1 hit point left. About 300-400 monsters killed and I fired one pistol shot.

there's not a metric ton of monsters, but there's a decent amount and the battle never ends, plutonia32 in final doom with respawn on, get the red key, get the yellow key, and go out on the balcony, 6 cyberdemons, a spidermind, a few dozen arachnotrons, a ton of revenants, 6 or 7 arch-viles, and then there's some mancubi you can get involved, grab the blue key and hit the switch to let out the 2 or 3 dozen Barons, and while ur doin all this you'll probably trip the motion sensor that opens the chamber with a dozen pain elementals in it... they'll all come out to the balcony looking for you and you hide behind the far wall(with clipping off) and then you come out when everything's assembled and watch all hell break loose

Best infight ... ? Depends on how you're measuring it.

In terms of sheer volume of monster deaths due to infighting, Nuts.wad must be the winner, as Erik indicates. I had one demo on that map with more than 93 monster deaths per second - and I didn't even punch the air. It's hardly a creative battle though, and is largely irrelevant to the player reaching the exit.

Equinox map13 has a massive multi-level arena where you really need to work to provoke infighting.

HR map22 deserves a mention too - check out Cameron Prosser's NM Pacifist TAS run (best demo ever?). HR generally is pretty good for infighting.

As Goat mentioned, STRAIN has a lot of good maps for infighting. The demonlord and BFG trooper are pretty handy in that respect. Not to mention battles between the two classes of imp.

Some types of infights are smaller-scale, but more amusing. For instance, if you can get two barons fighting each other (see the compet-n record for Tyson on E1M8). Or if you get an arch-vile attacking a cyberdemon, and eventually killing itself with its own splash damage. And of course Casey Alvis's t2f8-720.lmp, where the lost souls help with the fight against the cyberdemon.

I'm interested to see Opulent's response to this, since I'm sure there are plenty of amazing infights in the DSDA archives.

When I first started learning ZDoom scripting, I made a bunch of imps and a cyberdemon in a medium sized room. I set the imps to hate the cyberdemon and vice versa. Then I created a script to give them huge hit points, and refill their life when the hp got low. It was fun to watch.
Watching two Archviles go at each other is pretty neat too.

Unrelated: How the hell do I beat map 04 in Capslock.wad? There's a line in front of the exit that kills me automatically when I cross it.

Assmaster said:

Unrelated: How the hell do I beat map 04 in Capslock.wad? There's a line in front of the exit that kills me automatically when I cross it.

That's meant to happen (so you enter the innovative map 05 with no weapons). Just make sure you're travelling fast enough and you'll cross the exit.

The Suburbs is really good for demon warfare -- grab the blue key on the pedestal in the slime and just watch them go crazy on each other. :D

Try it on nightmare. The black imps and demons will revive in their normal colors.

Ralphis said:

Cyb's Lord of the Rings wad was cool.

I wish he'd make more Massmouth maps.. ;)

I would upload my little ZDoom infight map, but chances are I'd be reviewing it myself, so...

I was on this level or wad, not sure which one, and I had released shit loads of reverents, imps and chaingunners, not to mention all the lost souls and pain elementals that were all ready there. Cross fire-infight-The lost souls won because the PEs kept making more.
Btw:Imps + Reverants + A room full of barrels with you in the middle = not a good idea!

I hate getting pain elementals to do infighting. Especially when they end up fighting their own lost souls. It's only funny if you're using IDDQD, otherwise it can get really nasty once the PE dies (if it does) from being hit by lost souls. Its only advantage in infighting, of course, is that no one ever hates it, they just hate its lost souls. But then again, it can't attack when there's already a lost soul in between it and its enemy.

Because of all this, I usually kill them first (unless there's an Arch-Vile around) by exploiting their single, major weakness: you get up right in their face and they're helpless.

you want to see a battle? Check out this one:
Rest In Peace
There is an island where if you get into the very first building you come across you can watch a battle of momentous proportions.
Check it out

I've actually never thought much about implementing infighting in my wads. But my most recent level includes some; you walk into a seemingly small, empty room, but the walls open up to reveal a group of imps and mancubi. You can run circles around them and eventually the imps will be eliminated. Then, pause for a moment to shoot through the bars at a switch. The bars will open, but then Barons of Hell will appear on all three bar-protected platforms in the room. Then you use them to take out the Mancubi.

netnomad312 said:

I've actually never thought much about implementing infighting in my wads...

Infighting can be a very useful tool in wads. You can keep the ammo tight so that the player is coerced, forced basically, to strategize what he/she intends to kill off on their own and which demons shall be done away with using infighting. IMO, that makes for a more exciting, interesting game.