Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Another Editor Release

Jussi Pakkanen informed us of the release of version 0.99 of Why, his Doom level editor. Why bother paraphrasing when I can just copy and paste?

It has all sorts of cool stuff and things. One of the most important features new Windows installer. No more playing around with path settings or other such nuisances. I want to release 1.0 soon, and for that I need your help. Download the editor, play around with it and send me bug reports (even trivial ones). I'll fix them and then release 1.0.

On Windows, I assume? Are you creating a new level or editing an old one? Which mode (Doom I, Doom II, etc)?

Yeah Windows XP, it happens when I create a new level (doom 1 and doom 2). It works when I'm editing and existing level though.

OK, I think I know what the problem is. I'll post a fixed version once I get home in a few hours.

Pate: Good stuff. I no longer have problems with the config file and the texture alignment is AWESOME! I'm doing very tricky alignments in my project at the moment (not just a smooth continuation of the texture from one linedef to the next), so having something visual like this is really goddamn useful.

Glad you like it. Accessing textures causes totally weird crashes sometimes. I'm working on fixing this.

Rotting Corpse said:

You should take the duke buid and input the monster spawning in there.Alot of us mappers could use the duke monster spawning.

Uhm.. THIS IS AN EDITOR FOR DOOM.

That is a good job on the alignment .. guess I'll have some work to do:)

1) Why's GUI is extremely ugly. But all GTK programs seem to suffer this problem. It just looks crowded and like hacked together in 5 minutes.

2) How can I set a default game to edit (and not always Doom1 by default)

3) how do I merge vertices? Why doesn't it simply merge them when two vertices are moved on each other?

4) will there be Hexen/ZDoom support?

YEs, finally. THe last thing I would need is Texture preview bu it'll do.

boris said:

1) Why's GUI is extremely ugly. But all GTK programs seem to suffer this problem. It just looks crowded and like hacked together in 5 minutes.

Unfortunately it is not only ugly but in part a real pain, especially the file open dialog boxes (they seem more like Win 3.11).
I work in a software development company and when my boss saw 'Why' he said: 'This kind of software is what gives open source such a bad reputation' Although I don't fully agree with that I think that is a VERY bad sign. This will certainly turn off many Windows users.

I admit that Why's GUI is not very pretty at the moment. But the reason is that Why is the first ever GUI program I have made (except for two small Java crapplets). It'll get better once I learn to use GTK more. The file dialog is a total piece of crap, but I can't help it, it's built in to GTK. They have promised to do a new dialog for the next release, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Boris:

2) You can't. I'll make it default to Doom 2, since that is what most of you use anyway.

3) Since Why does not yet have undo, I have avoided adding these kinds of automatic thingies. The vertices' right-click menu should have a "merge vertices". (can't check ATM, if it does not have it, I'll add it there for the next release)

4) Yes, but only after 1.0. But that will be the first thing I'll do.

Pate said:

3) Since Why does not yet have undo, I have avoided adding these kinds of automatic thingies. The vertices' right-click menu should have a "merge vertices". (can't check ATM, if it does not have it, I'll add it there for the next release)

Nope, not there.

Pate said:

4) Yes, but only after 1.0. But that will be the first thing I'll do.

Cool.

BTW, when you compile it with MingW using the -mwindows switch you get rid of that annoying DOS box. Or does it serve any purpose?

BTW, when you compile it with MingW using the -mwindows switch you get rid of that annoying DOS box. Or does it serve any purpose?

Python error messages are printed there. Once I figure out how to capture them and print them my own error window, I'll get rid of it.