Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shakariki Heisenberg

How many levels is a "MEGAWAD"

i used to think megawad meant 15 or more levels and anything below it is a miniwad but john romero made a 9 level set and called it a megawad, and he was one of the id bois who made DOOM so i dont even know anymore lmao.

How many levels is a megawad?

The maximum amount of levels a DOOM game has.

DOOM 1 had 9 levels in each episode, so that's why Sigil can be considered a megawad

DOOM 2 had 32 levels, so a megawad for DOOM 2 will be 32 levels.

He called SIGIL "a Megawad with 18 maps" referring to the 9 DM areas being separate from the 9 SP/co-op levels. 9 map slots but 18 distinct map-regions. I assume he said something similar for SIGIL II.

megawad is 15+ maps

you'll hear 1 map called a single map or standalone map 

an episode tends to be 6-12 maps and usually implies some coherence with levels (or replacing a UDoom episode)

mapset is a catch-all for anything above 1 map

A miniwad isn't really a formal term and usually refers to a mapset that is a brief play experience too. Counterattack (7 maps, most quite long) and Stardate 20x6 (8 maps, some long and hard) are mapsets that it'd be unusual to call miniwads. I know Mechadon calls Counterattack a "mini-episode" on idgames but this is Mechadon who was working on Vela Pax (which has absurdly big maps), so he's a very biased judge of that. :P

15 minutes ago, plums said:

He called SIGIL "a Megawad with 18 maps" referring to the 9 DM areas being separate from the 9 SP/co-op levels. 9 map slots but 18 distinct map-regions. I assume he said something similar for SIGIL II.

No he didn't, he said DOOM1 has 9 levels per episode so if a wad is for DOOM1 then 9 levels is enough to be considered a megawad. I on the other hand haven't considered the DM maps etc. but even doomwiki says SIGIL is an episode wad. 15+ in any case is a megawad (wasn't 18 years ago?).

I was talking about the second poster here but good to know, maybe doomwiki didn’t consider the dm version of the maps.

Each map contains a single-player level plus a DM arena. That is not a separate map as such, which is why the wiki and the idgames archive regard SIGIL 1/2 as episode WADs. But from Romero's communication it was clear he viewed the arenas as distinct maps, hence his use of the term megawad. Plus of course it makes the releases sound bigger. ;-)

I'm gonna say at least 24 maps personally

Original Doom 1 not counting the secret levels is 24 Maps long