Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MS-06FZ Zaku II Kai

Is Doom a FPS equivalent of SHMUP?

Having spent some time playing a lot of great arcade SHMUP (Darius, Gradius, R Type, Zero Ranger) I can´t help but notice that good ol DOOM shares some design sensibilities with the arcade greats.

What I mean by that is that both DOOM and SHMUPS focus on enemy management, navigating hairy bullet and fireball paterns and so on. This is especialy apparent in slaughtermaps which are realy similiar in gameplay to some more hardcore bullet hell shooters like Dodonpachi or what have you?

So could we consider DOOM to be an equivalent to SHUMPS or are these just coincidences?

Not really, I think Wolfenstien is more SHMUP-y with it's lives system, score, and multitudes of enemies coming almost single file towards you. Doom has a lot of depth design wise, where enemies kill each other on accident, I think what really makes Doom not a Schmup is that levels are deeper, and less "go in a straight line and kill." Wolfenstein doesn't have a lot of depth level design wise in comparison.

I do see a lot of overlap in how you manage a huge swarm of enemies, and streaming/restreaming is a technique that's pretty essential to both genres.  The big difference for me is your freedom of movement and fire directions, which feels more like a twin-stick shooter.  So, if Robotron was a first person shooter designed by Cave, it'd be Doom.

1 hour ago, Hebonky said:

Not really, I think Wolfenstien is more SHMUP-y with it's lives system, score, and multitudes of enemies coming almost single file towards you.

Tell me you don't understand shmups without saying you don't understand shmups.

1 hour ago, MS-06FZ Zaku II Kai said:

So could we consider DOOM to be an equivalent to SHUMPS or are these just coincidences?

I'd say there's overlap for sure; in terms of unique enemy types offering different ways to control player space and force certain player action/movement, definitely. But I wouldn't call them equivalent, and not just for the incredibly-superficial reasons Hebonky gave. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MS-06FZ Zaku II Kai said:

What I mean by that is that both DOOM and SHMUPS focus on enemy management, navigating hairy bullet and fireball paterns and so on. This is especialy apparent in slaughtermaps which are realy similiar in gameplay to some more hardcore bullet hell shooters like Dodonpachi or what have you?

There's been wads that have the bullet hell (in this case, projectiles) focused gameplay, such as Tarnsman's Projectile Hell and Touhou Doom. And also commercially I am Sakuya.

I can see similarities to each other, as I can agree with Jayextee.

Posted (edited)

Doom overlaps arcade shoot 'em ups in the same way it overlaps with an ancient first person D&D game I vaguely remember from the Mega Drive/Genesis (Warriors of the Eternal Sun or something?) - kind of but not really. There's inevitably going to be overlaps in different genres. It might be coincidence. It might not. One element might be, one element might not. Not really sure what we gain from finding out?