Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dubh

Physical Format / Advertising

I said I'd squeeze 2 questions into one post:

I guess Doom 3 will be a huge game with all the artwork, sounds, engine code etc.... Does anybody think that it may be released on DVD?
Or 2 CDs even?

Also, lately I have been seeing ALOT of video games commercials on TV (or "This program was brought to you in association with *game_name* from *game_company*

Anybody know if activision have any plans for mainstream advertising of Doom 3.

I'd say it would be a kickass idea, imagine a few weeks before it is released and you catch the ad on TV. Couple of scary shots, then black screen (breathing noise) and DOOM3 cracks down onto the TV screen (kinda like legacy vid)

BTW, in case anyone is wondering what channell I am watching,I live in Ireland and Sky television are advertising tonnes of games every day....

Dubh said:
Anybody know if activision have any plans for mainstream advertising of Doom 3.

Yeah! More newbies to get rid of. Jeez...

Dubh said:

Or 2 CDs even?

I doubt Doom III will fit on 2 CD's. My guess is 3 CD's (like UT2K3).

A special DVD version would be very nice.

i bought a dvd drive just incase it is released on dvd. and cuz it was only 80 bucks for a 16x, pretty fast.

Dubh said:I live in Ireland....

were you from i'm from watervill co kerry? i'd say they wouldent make it on a dvd cus not alot of people have dvroms and as Arno sayed it would probabely b on 3 cdroms.

I stand by my opinion that Doom 3 should be released ONLY on DVD. It's retarded that PC gamers still have all their games released in the ancient CD format when there's perfectly good, well-accepted, much larger/faster format in DVD. We need a AAA title released solely on DVD to spearhead the transition to DVD gaming. Plus you can get DVD drives for like $30 at some places.

Linguica said:

I stand by my opinion that Doom 3 should be released ONLY on DVD. It's retarded that PC gamers still have all their games released in the ancient CD format when there's perfectly good, well-accepted, much larger/faster format in DVD. We need a AAA title released solely on DVD to spearhead the transition to DVD gaming. Plus you can get DVD drives for like $30 at some places.

I second that.Dvd would be a hell of alot better.

I don't agree, although I have a DVD drive in my pc. I think there's still too many people out there with a cdrom drive.

Disorder said:

I don't agree, although I have a DVD drive in my pc. I think there's still too many people out there with a cdrom drive.

DVD roms are so incredibly cheap these days.

Okay, that might actually be a good idea. I remember back when games made the transition from floppy disks to CDs. It was hard for some people (such as myself, who didn't have a CD-ROM drive), but necessity forced the change along, and now nobody even uses floppy disks any more. I actually think that a transition into DVDs would actually be easier, because many people already have DVD-ROM drives on their computers.

geekmarine said:

... and now nobody even uses floppy disks any more.

I use them sometimes for toting school projects to and from school. personally, i dont think the floppy disk will ever die, not within a couple dozen years or so. theyre too common, too convenient for small files (text doc's, few pics and such), and are quick.

Alientank said:

DVD roms are so incredibly cheap these days.

Yes, but not everyone has spare money to spend on one. Not saying I don't but some people may not. If they were to release on on CD and DVD that would sound neato, in my opinion. :D

Goat said:

i bought a dvd drive just incase it is released on dvd. and cuz it was only 80 bucks for a 16x, pretty fast.

You got ripped off.

I seriously doubt it will be released on DVD simply because many people still dont own DVD-rom drives. It would be quite nice though.

Games like 7th Guest were released at a time when relatively few people had CD-ROM drives. They helped push for a wider adoption of CD-ROM drives on personal computers.

This is no different.

Seeing as consoles already use DVD-ROM-based formats for their games I see no reason why PC games should not move to DVD-ROM as well given today's diskspace-hogging titles. A lot of games have been released on as many as 3 or 4 CD-ROMs the past few years, making them a pain to install, and it's high time that we as gamers moved to a format that is actually reasonble for our needs.

I agree with the whole "Some people can't get hold of a DVD Drive" arguement - I couldn't. Someone gave me one, which was nice.

But then I also agree that sooner or later we're probably going to HAVE to move to DVD format for PC games, and it might as well be sooner rather than later.

[noob]plonker: I'm from Dublin

I think DVD would be a good progressive step. It always seems to be id who push things forward: SoundBlaster only for Quake 1, Quake3: Hardware rendering only, doom 3 DVD only??

Dubh said:

[noob]plonker: I'm from Dublin

I think DVD would be a good progressive step. It always seems to be id who push things forward: SoundBlaster only for Quake 1, Quake3: Hardware rendering only, doom 3 DVD only??

I'm pretty sure there were SB only games before Quake 1, and 3D card only games before Quake 3.

NiGHTMARE said:

I'm pretty sure there were SB only games before Quake 1, and 3D card only games before Quake 3.

none of which pushed adoption rates quite like such a 'mainstream' game from an independent development house
considering the game has high specs as it is, its harly a big jump to ask for a dvd format if you're already asking for a £250 graphics card

the game doesnt has highspecs. almost everybody these days can play doom3, not all with the same amount of detail.

And I think DVD is a good step, because no one wants to switch those cd's wile installing a game