Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sweet Prince

Ultimate Gaming PC... are you SURE you have too?

hi everybody, i was laying in bed last night and this though popped into my head...

to everyone who is gonna upgrade to the ultimate gaming PC for Doom 3, are you SURE you have too?

what i mean is, and i donno a lot about the tech side, i understood almost nothing of what Mr. Carmack said in his last finger post and all that vortex muboo shit, but think about it for a sec... Mr. Carmack made Doom and all the Quakes and did they ever need cutting edge hardware? when 386 and 486s were in about every house with a new comp, there was Doom to play on them and it was something that had never been seen before but damnit Mr. Carmack made it run on my lil home PC shortly before the cutting edge Pentium came out... and after the Pentium came out, it was in every new PC so you know what he did? he made Quake, unlike anything before it, but still ran FINE on as low as a 486 (I THINK) and P1s as it was optimized for.. tho the P2s were coming anyway.. that's when he made QII and so on...

if he only made games that played on "the ultimate gaming PC", why didn't i need one for Doom? or Quake witch was all software driven before he played with the idea for GLQuake.. so yeah some ppl will need to up grade no doubt, i've never up upgraded a comp or 3D card yet in my life (hell i was playing MechWarrior 3 on my TNT2 for the love of god) so i have a GeForce 4 MX witch isn't really suitable for today's games, i should have upgraded my GF for Max Payne and my TNT2/GF for MOH:AA (talk about LOW game settings)... ok im rambling, when i get back to the states im gonna get me a 9700 none pro, why? cos the non pro and pro have the same "safe" max overclocking numbers.

now, the Alpha, we all know its an Alpha so why dos it freak us out? its unoptimized! at E3 the comp had 1gig ram, because the game NEEDs that much ram... nope! because its so damn unoptimized he just loaded the whole game into ram.. and i've heard stories about ppl with a pretty good but NOT cutting edge PC and a 9700 Pro playing the OLD, EARLY some what optimized for the 9700 Alpha just FINE

maybe your waiting for the new DX9 cards, well yes, their newer so the clock and mem speeds will be higher and they'll play any game faster then any older card, but will it be such a diff? Doom 3 is DX8.1your new DX9 card will be OLD by the time a DX9 game comes out.. about when DX9.5 or 10 is released...

Mr. Carmack is no dummy, today's PCs are gonna play this game or they'll have to wait a year for the hardware to catch-up and become today's average PCs before most ppl will buy the game, and who knows what the next Sims will be that make the average consumer forget that they can now play Doom 3 just fine a year after it came out... come on! as some ppl have said about the new 3D card, its the main stream that makes the money...

remember he's not just making it for us but for anyone who wants to play TODAY'S games, and i bet ID are busting their balls so the most amount of ppl can play this cutting edge game the day its out with out HAVING to lay out $1000+ on top of the game purchase :)

thanks for listening, please feel free to comment and give opinions :)

P.S. we played Doom at 320x200 rez and we were happy, sure i love Max Payne at 1024x768 but if Doom 3 runs fine at 640x480 it looks so good i can wait a few years till i can play it at 1024x768 like i had to with Doom and Doom 2 thanks to ZDoom ;)

I think youve got some good points. I just upgraded because it was time and doom3 will be here shortly. I plan to play it so religously it will be insane. Plus on my old rig I coulndt play Ut2003, so it was definitely time for a bit of a upgrade

Sweet Prince said:

if Doom 3 runs fine at 640x480 it looks so good i can wait a few years till i can play it at 1024x768 like i had to with Doom and Doom 2 thanks to ZDoom ;)

Well if that's the way you feel, of course it would be stupid to blow $500 on a GeForceFX2 or Radeon 50,000 XP MONSTAR or whatever. For some reason there are people who won't play Doom III on anything except 1280x1024 though, and some of them are even rich/stupid enough to blow half their savings on a piece of video hardware.

Doom III will run fine on a Pentium III 1.5Ghz with 256MB SDRAM and a GeForce3ti500. If you think that's "below you" or whatever, go right ahead and buy your expensive video card. I'll be over there in the corner, laughing, with enough money left to buy five GBA games. Now that's entertainment.

Hardy-har-har!

Sorry.

I totally agree, and as seen in a few of my past posts plan on sticking with the majority of my current configuration to play Doom 3.

Antec PLUS1080AMG (SOHO File Server) w/ 430W PSU, 3.06 GHZ HT P4 OC'd, Thermalright SLK-900, Tornado 92 mm fan, Sunbeam Rheobus Silver fan controller, Canterwood Chipset DCDDR motherboard, 2X 512 MB Corsair XMS 3200 RAM, 120 GB Seagate HD w/ 8 MB cache, ATI 9800 Pro 256 MB, Creative MegaWorks THX® 600 Watt 6.1 Surround Sound system, Audigy 2 6.1 sound card, Sony Flat 19 inch CRT Trinitron Aperture Grille monitor CPD-G410R, LG 16X DVD-ROM, LG 52x24x52 CD-R/RW

That's what I'm putting together in June. Is it necessary? Yes. My plan is Doom 3 1280x1024 32 bit color, with some AA and AF, max detail. That system will play it beautifully. The point of the computer was so it could play Doom 3 the way it was meant to be played. Future games will run fast on it too.

Like I've said, optimizing graphics and maximizing power, and all that nonsense has become more of "the game" than actual games. I think that says a lot about today's games.

are you SURE you have too?

Well, since my Computer crashes randomly, Eats my zip files, makes my CD Rom do funny things, and pushes me closer to a shooting spree every day... kinda. :/

Ct_red_pants said:

Well, since my Computer crashes randomly, Eats my zip files, makes my CD Rom do funny things, and pushes me closer to a shooting spree every day... kinda. :/

well yeah, YOU do, but i was talking more to the ppl (like me) who do want it to look goooooood but have a comp that should run it fine.. sept maybe a new vid card for around $200 - $300 MAX, and yeqh i love my lil GBA SP *hugs and kisses it* Metroid F is sweet! and i got my eye on Sonic Advance 2 and a Mario

Just bought my new video card, finally, ATI 9800 pro, and Im getting 60 plus frames per second in doom 3 alpha. I dont think were gonna need top of the line although I suggest as much ram as possible (probably just the alpha)

Alientank said:

Antec PLUS1080AMG (SOHO File Server) w/ 430W PSU, 3.06 GHZ HT P4 OC'd, Thermalright SLK-900, Tornado 92 mm fan, Sunbeam Rheobus Silver fan controller, Canterwood Chipset DCDDR motherboard, 2X 512 MB Corsair XMS 3200 RAM, 120 GB Seagate HD w/ 8 MB cache, ATI 9800 Pro 256 MB, Creative MegaWorks THX® 600 Watt 6.1 Surround Sound system, Audigy 2 6.1 sound card, Sony Flat 19 inch CRT Trinitron Aperture Grille monitor CPD-G410R, LG 16X DVD-ROM, LG 52x24x52 CD-R/RW

That's what I'm putting together in June. Is it necessary? Yes. My plan is Doom 3 1280x1024 32 bit color, with some AA and AF, max detail. That system will play it beautifully. The point of the computer was so it could play Doom 3 the way it was meant to be played. Future games will run fast on it too.

If you want to have the ultimate pc you might want to get Mushkin! hi performance pc3200 cl2 memory modules, It's a bit more expensive than corsair though. you can pick up 512 modules for almost $200. If i were you though I'd get the msi sis648max-L(ignore toms hardwares BS bias payed off "review" its garbage) it's only 80 bucks and is dual channel, throw a 2.56ghz True c stepping processor (can O/C to 3.0+ ghz on air easily,slk-900 is nice for this situation =D) some mushkin 2-2-2 pc2700 ram and your only going to see 5% difference (or less) in most games with the canterwood. I also would get the radeon 9700pro over the 9800pro only small archetectural changes and speed boost, not worth the almost 200 extra dollers IMHO. Good choice in psu btw. antec is the best and that case is great, but if you want the leetest case(aside from vapochill's 500$ liquid cool cases), it's by far the thermal take xaser III though its a might expensive(just about $200 for silver version)! If you want to improve performance even further you may also want to ditch the 120 gb western digital and get a SCSI dual array(10,000+rpm HDD's YUM!) or a sata raid setup in raid 0 stripping(would require a ide raid controller on the msi board but hey it isnt that much)2x 80 WD s.e. is not too pricey. Just a techheads advice to a fellow doomer. This system can be put together for about $1500(maybe less) via pricewatch, new egg, google gear, and textag (minus your monitor and speakers).

You must have a possessed computer. You should call up a computer exorcist about that :P

Worlocked said:

If you want to have the ultimate pc you might want to get Mushkin! hi performance pc3200 cl2 memory modules, It's a bit more expensive than corsair though. you can pick up 512 modules for almost $200. If i were you though I'd get the msi sis648max-L(ignore toms hardwares BS bias payed off "review" its garbage) it's only 80 bucks and is dual channel, throw a 2.56ghz True c stepping processor (can O/C to 3.0+ ghz on air easily,slk-900 is nice for this situation =D) some mushkin 2-2-2 pc2700 ram and your only going to see 5% difference (or less) in most games with the canterwood. I also would get the radeon 9700pro over the 9800pro only small archetectural changes and speed boost, not worth the almost 200 extra dollers IMHO. Good choice in psu btw. antec is the best and that case is great, but if you want the leetest case(aside from vapochill's 500$ liquid cool cases), it's by far the thermal take xaser III though its a might expensive(just about $200 for silver version)! If you want to improve performance even further you may also want to ditch the 120 gb western digital and get a SCSI dual array(10,000+rpm HDD's YUM!) or a sata raid setup in raid 0 stripping(would require a ide raid controller on the msi board but hey it isnt that much)2x 80 WD s.e. is not too pricey. Just a techheads advice to a fellow doomer. This system can be put together for about $1500(maybe less) via pricewatch, new egg, google gear, and textag (minus your monitor and speakers).

Ive got more power than that for less money even. ANd I just bumped into the 9800. That thermaltake zaser is a peice of poo. Same basic, design, with a bunch of bull I dont need. Ill admit the thermal readout is cool, but the case is all looks, and no real substance over functionality

sniperfrommars1 said:

Ive got more power than that for less money even. ANd I just bumped into the 9800. That thermaltake zaser is a peice of poo. Same basic, design, with a bunch of bull I dont need. Ill admit the thermal readout is cool, but the case is all looks, and no real substance over functionality

All looks? did you just look at the case and not the features? It has the best cooling design on the market and no the case you picked out is not even close to the same as the xaser just read some reviews on the xaser and actually look at the specs and design of the case, not just some exterior shots....i can tell you havent, it is the best air cooling case there is. Period.

Even watched the video, as well as checking out my friends. Its identical to any similar case on the market, airflow, smairflow. Ive used the damn thing. No cooler than anything antec is making for a hundred dollars less. Peace

Worlocked said:

1) The 2.53 ghz p4 is a TERRIBLE overclocker. The 2.4b is the best, also the Canterwood chipset is still an improvement. What do I care, I make $500-600 canadian a week, I can afford it. I'm on a 100 mhz fsb crappy computer. I might as well go for the best I can, 800 is the best.

2)) The 256 mb version is the first with ddr-2 memory from ati. The 128mb version doesn't have it. Also, the 256 meg version has core revisions and f-buffer which the 128 mb 9800 pro or other cards, don't have. Also it is not a $200 price jump, it's less then that. Expect something like a $100-125 jump.

3) That case is a piece of shit. 7 fans? What the fuck, there was a review done on it and it won for being the shittiest one. Bad airflow not to mention the power supplies that come with them are garbage. Antec cases have awesome airflow and the power supplies with their cases are the best in the world.

4) SATA is so infant it's not even funny. A lot of bugs and it's way too expensive. I don't need it, or SCSI. If I went SCSI I'd need a SCSI controller etc which is way too much extra to spend for minimal speed difference. I'm not that impatient, I'll leave that stuff for servers thank you.

5) That won't come to under $1500 even using sites like newegg.

6) I've done my research for 6 months, and this is the best thing I can do for gaming performance. I know what I'm doing, I'm in no way new to computer technology or building.

7) I'll take a trusted review site who has done the review over someone who has hearsay and hasn't done one.

8) Go to sharkyforums.com I'm sure they will tell you how crappy those cases are compared to Antec ones.

kthxbye

Alientank said:

4) SATA is so infant it's not even funny. A lot of bugs and it's way too expensive. I don't need it, or SCSI. If I went SCSI I'd need a SCSI controller etc which is way too much extra to spend for minimal speed difference.

Are you talking about SATA drives being expensive or boards that support it? Cause there are some really nice/cheap (soltek) boards out there with SATA built in. And I guess I'm not hearing about these 'bugs' either. Most of the drives seem moderately priced and from good name brands.
SCSI controllers are not expensive and the speed inprovement is definitely noticable. Thing is 10K drives are still over $200 :|

Once Doom3 is actually optimized, I get the feeling my 1.73 GHz/512 MB RAM/Radeon 8500 64 MB boxen will be able to play it sufficiently. Hell, it plays the alpha fairly well (except for the entirely random crashes, that is), and I don't need 1280x1024 resolution to enjoy the game. If you feel that you NEED that high a resolution on every single game, you're a fucking wanker and need to consider things like THE ACTUAL GAME every once in a while instead of masturbating to how fast your video card is.

Alientank said:

1) The 2.53 ghz p4 is a TERRIBLE overclocker. The 2.4b is the best, also the Canterwood chipset is still an improvement. What do I care, I make $500-600 canadian a week, I can afford it. I'm on a 100 mhz fsb crappy computer. I might as well go for the best I can, 800 is the best.

2)) The 256 mb version is the first with ddr-2 memory from ati. The 128mb version doesn't have it. Also, the 256 meg version has core revisions and f-buffer which the 128 mb 9800 pro or other cards, don't have. Also it is not a $200 price jump, it's less then that. Expect something like a $100-125 jump.

3) That case is a piece of shit. 7 fans? What the fuck, there was a review done on it and it won for being the shittiest one. Bad airflow not to mention the power supplies that come with them are garbage. Antec cases have awesome airflow and the power supplies with their cases are the best in the world.

4) SATA is so infant it's not even funny. A lot of bugs and it's way too expensive. I don't need it, or SCSI. If I went SCSI I'd need a SCSI controller etc which is way too much extra to spend for minimal speed difference. I'm not that impatient, I'll leave that stuff for servers thank you.

6) I've done my research for 6 months, and this is the best thing I can do for gaming performance. I know what I'm doing, I'm in no way new to computer technology or building.

7) I'll take a trusted review site who has done the review over someone who has hearsay and hasn't done one.

8) Go to sharkyforums.com I'm sure they will tell you how crappy those cases are compared to Antec ones.

kthxbye

FInally someone who doesnt talk out of their ass. I couldnt agree more. Im running the 9800 pro right now, and it smokes all in benchmarks. Peace

Eh, I'm an AMD fanboy, so I'm not so sharp on the Pentium side of the house. As for the case, hey, Thermaltake makes a good looking box. Even as such, the insides look about the same as every other tower licensed by a million different venders out there. (ATX, 2 intake fan ports, 2 exhaust, 4 expansion bays, etc, etc.) I've got one myself, built just like the Xaser but with a "plain-Jane" lockable front. Oh, and in my humble opinion, Enermax PSU's are a golden investment worthy of everyone's hardware.
SATA, once newer controllers are introduced, will some day offer an advantage over parallel, but not yet. I've been reading up on some new NForce2 boards on Anandtech, and the future looks promising. As it stands, SATA is in some cases slower than parallel ATA. We'll soon see that change, though.
Hey 'sniper, you got any benchmarks posted anywhere? I'd like to see how that 9800's running.

What are you looking for 3d mark 2001, or 2003? Ill send you screenys if you like or whatever. let me know. hit me up on yahoogle or somethin. The last time I checked for 2004, fewer than 4% had a higher 3d mark score than me for a similar processor. As soon as I add some more ram, im pretty much done with this rig. I would be running amd, but I got a really good deal on this 2.8 so it was really a no brainer

I was just curious as to the 3DMark2001 score, because that's what I use and just wanted to see if you had a link.

Alientank said:

kthxbye

1. your an idiot, look around(god forbid) MANY people with the c stepping 2.56 have o/c'd on air to as high as 3.4 ghz you just cant get the true c stepping as easily as the 2.4b but god forbid people had to know what they were looking for and actually have the know how to tell them apart...and the 2.4b becomes unstable before it comes close to 3.0 ghz mark...god
2.you wanna pay 200 extra (yes 200 the 9700pro can be had for $220) for mild architectural changes with mediocre performance increases go for it..and thats just for the 128mb version...and even the 128 meg version has the f-buffer revision...still not worth it.
3. the topflowing blowhole on the xaseriii is what makes it the best flowing air case there is. period! AND you don't have to get the psu that comes with the case... i told you antec was the way to go... your fucking blind... get thicker glasses...
4.but scsi is and will be the way to go for a while, and it is not as expensive as your making it out to be. they defrag in an hour and have incredible access times. anyonebut the computer inept will defrag monthly or even biweekly.... have fun on your 7500rpm western digital. itll only take, ohhhhh, a day or two for 120 gigabytes.
not to mention wester digitals warranty with the se's is dodgey at best, heh, pray you dont have any problems. sata is buggy? example? and linkage to back it up? Oh and to that guy who said 10k rpm drives are over 200, you can get dual 36.4's for about $250 you just gotta look around. but yes it is very noticable change and i think he is pulling the sata raid issue out of his ass...everywhere it has gotten good to rave reviews...
5. try pricewatch.com and googlegear.com for ram and sometimes nexttag.com cd roms speakers and monitors can be found cheaper than pricewatch. and i said WITHOUT monitor or speakers it can be done easily.
6.I find that hard to believe
7.check hard ocp then
8.go to the hard ocp forums and they will tell you quite frankly you don't know jack shit and laugh in your fucking face.

Don't know why I'm bothering... you deserve to be robbed by bleeding edge cpu market games, you can have the same performance for less but whatever, shell out the extra bucks for your cpu.

This is my last post on these forums. Dont even bother responding. bunch of ignorant assholes. later kids.

Worlocked said:

This is my last post on these forums. Dont even bother responding. bunch of ignorant assholes. later kids.

WAH WAH PEOPLE DON'T AGREE WITH MY OPINION I'M GOING TO TAKE MY BALL AND GO CRYING HOME TO MOMMY SO SHE CAN TUCK ME IN AND GIVE ME A HANDJOB

Worlocked said:

1. your an idiot, look around(god forbid) MANY people with the c stepping 2.56 have o/c'd on air to as high as 3.4 ghz you just cant get the true c stepping as easily as the 2.4b but god forbid people had to know what they were looking for and actually have the know how to tell them apart...and the 2.4b becomes unstable before it comes close to 3.0 ghz mark...god
2.you wanna pay 200 extra (yes 200 the 9700pro can be had for $220) for mild architectural changes with mediocre performance increases go for it..and thats just for the 128mb version...and even the 128 meg version has the f-buffer revision...still not worth it.
3. the topflowing blowhole on the xaseriii is what makes it the best flowing air case there is. period! AND you don't have to get the psu that comes with the case... i told you antec was the way to go... your fucking blind... get thicker glasses...
4.but scsi is and will be the way to go for a while, and it is not as expensive as your making it out to be. they defrag in an hour and have incredible access times. anyonebut the computer inept will defrag monthly or even biweekly.... have fun on your 7500rpm western digital. itll only take, ohhhhh, a day or two for 120 gigabytes.
not to mention wester digitals warranty with the se's is dodgey at best, heh, pray you dont have any problems. sata is buggy? example? and linkage to back it up? Oh and to that guy who said 10k rpm drives are over 200, you can get dual 36.4's for about $250 you just gotta look around. but yes it is very noticable change and i think he is pulling the sata raid issue out of his ass...everywhere it has gotten good to rave reviews...
5. try pricewatch.com and googlegear.com for ram and sometimes nexttag.com cd roms speakers and monitors can be found cheaper than pricewatch. and i said WITHOUT monitor or speakers it can be done easily.
6.I find that hard to believe
7.check hard ocp then
8.go to the hard ocp forums and they will tell you quite frankly you don't know jack shit and laugh in your fucking face.

Don't know why I'm bothering... you deserve to be robbed by bleeding edge cpu market games, you can have the same performance for less but whatever, shell out the extra bucks for your cpu.

Was going to defend my posts but I see you don't want to be proven wrong, so you decided to just run away. No doubt your french.

Agreed what a lamer, I cant get flamed I must run and hide. Your gonna do a lot of forum jumping loser. First off the xaser threes blow hole is a crock overpriced shit. Who cant put a frickin blowhole in a case for the cost of a fan. The airflow is still the same as an other generic atx case. The card is worth the money. Youve obviously never used it or seen it in an application that can take advantage of what its capable of. And its 180 not 200 ;). Capiche.

sniperfrommars1 said:

Agreed what a lamer, I cant get flamed I must run and hide. Your gonna do a lot of forum jumping loser. First off the xaser threes blow hole is a crock overpriced shit. Who cant put a frickin blowhole in a case for the cost of a fan. The airflow is still the same as an other generic atx case. The card is worth the money. Youve obviously never used it or seen it in an application that can take advantage of what its capable of. And its 180 not 200 ;). Capiche.

180, wow off by so much! and i have seen the card in action, it is impressive, but not impressive enough to pay *180* extra dollars for it when i can have the radeon 9700 pro which can do 90% as well. and no offense but you don't seem adept enough to assemble a pc much less mod a case.

Alientank said:

Was going to defend my posts but I see you don't want to be proven wrong, so you decided to just run away. No doubt your french.

Not french in the least bit. I see no point in listening to some retards misinformed verbal dhiarhea... Now this is my last post.