Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
arose

map02 bugs

There is a transparency effect on the stairs after the first monsters. Also a bigger one to the right of the door leading to the room with 4 snakes on pilars (I can even see the snakes before entering the room).
Using Doom Legacy 1.40 on GNU/Linux.

Im just taking a throw into the open here, but Legacy tends to do this a lot, I myself dont know how to stop it, I've tried a few things but to no avail. I was told it had something to do with nodes or something...? However this may be a different issuse so I'm not too sure. Sorry. (This is in OpenGL mode, for me.)

It doesn't happen in ZDoom, it doesn't happen in Eternity, so it's probably Legacy's fault.

Legacy's OpenGL mode has all sorts of problems with perfectly good maps - ones that other GL ports handle fine. If you want to use Legacy, you've got to be prepared to use software mode quite often.

It's not that I want Legacy, I just don't have very much choice while using GNU/Linux...
JDoom is Windows only.
ZDoom doesn't work in fullscreen mode, and has no gl support.
ZDoomGL is closed source (hello ID, GPL violation?)
And software mode generaly is too slow for something like 640x480, which I need to get fullscreen.
So if I want to play fullscreen Legacy in OpenGL mode is the only way. Maybe I should try it from CVS?

arose said:

It won't compile in Linux anyways. And I like ZDoomGL beta versions and no source for them (yet) better than neither ZDoomGL beta versions and no source :P [edit]and ZDoom is not GPL, so neither is ZDoomGL[/edit]

arose said:

And software mode generaly is too slow for something like 640x480, which I need to get fullscreen.

Your computer must suck then. Even my old K6-2/450 could easily run ZDoom in fullscreen 640x480.

I just tested it myself using 1.32 and I get the same thing. I concur with the others that it looks like a bug in legacy. Its probably best to complain to the legacy developers about it.

The freedoom level guidelines discourage the use of tricks that rely on dooms software rendering engine as they may not work in GL ports, however I certainly dont think we should have to work around bugs like this.

arose said:

It's not that I want Legacy, I just don't have very much choice while using GNU/Linux...
JDoom is Windows only.

You may want to try PrBoom's GL mode, glboom. I find it works quite well.

As for ZDoomGL, it is misleading to refer to it as "closed source" - I personally avoid that term because it can be misleading. The source is available but it is not Open Source under the OSI definition. It is based on ZDoom which still uses the original doom license, so it is not a violation of the GPL (it contains no GPLed code)

fraggle said:

The freedoom level guidelines discourage the use of tricks that rely on dooms software rendering engine as they may not work in GL ports, however I certainly dont think we should have to work around bugs like this.

Yeah I already had to change map02 to work in Legacy at all. It used to use the voodoo dool trick, but Legacy "fixed" that trick >:( They should rather concentrate on fixing real bugs than to fix (or better: break) old Doom tricks.

boris said:

Your computer must suck then. Even my old K6-2/450 could easily run ZDoom in fullscreen 640x480.

Mine is choppier than the Iron Chef In Legacy Software mode cause I run it in 1024x768 resolution, and if I go upto tall walls it crashes. :D

Zdoom works fine as software mode is concerned though. :D

You may want to try PrBoom's GL mode, glboom. I find it works quite well.

Just compiled prboom with --enable-gl and all i got was prboom, no glboom in sight.

It is based on ZDoom which still uses the original doom license, so it is not a violation of the GPL (it contains no GPLed code)

I never knew Doom source was released under a non GPL license, my bad.

My K6-2/500 may suck. But ZDoom for GNU/Linux certainly sucks, can't switch to fullscreen mode, doesn't respond to the mouse. The refresh rate is almost OK though...

arose said:

Just compiled prboom with --enable-gl and all i got was prboom, no glboom in sight.

The binary name is the same (prboom) but it should now be the GL version..

The binary name is the same (prboom) but it should now be the GL version..

It is, faster than Legacy and without bugs too (: If only it had mouse look I would be in heaven.

arose said:

JDoom is Windows only.
So if I want to play fullscreen Legacy in OpenGL mode is the only way. Maybe I should try it from CVS?

Hey, ZDoomGL isn't closed source! If you want the latest prerelease source, just email me and I'll send if over. The reason there's no source for 0.73 on sourceforge is I forgot to upload it before making some changes for 0.74 and just decided to not worry about it. There will be full source available for 0.74 when it's released (and the source is available on the sourceforge page for versions 0.7 -> 0.72).

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=63545

Oh, and the latest ZDoom prerelease doesn't work in Linux yet (2.0.42 last time I checked), but will soon. Then ZDoomGL should basically work in Linux, although the initialization code (OpenGLVideo class and OpenGLFrameBuffer class) will have to be reworked (the only place there's any win32 specific code), and that shouldn't be too much work. I'd do it, but I have no Linux programming experience and no Linux installation to test on.

boris said:

Yeah I already had to change map02 to work in Legacy at all. It used to use the voodoo dool trick, but Legacy "fixed" that trick >:( They should rather concentrate on fixing real bugs than to fix (or better: break) old Doom tricks.

Crap, they did? I'll have to change my e4m1 a lot to get around this :(

Screw the Legacy users, Nick.

Anyway, `wine zdoom` works just fine with 2.0.4x, I bet you can even go full screen with it if you have the proper resolutions and refresh rates set up in X (which is a pain in the ass).

I'd like to see Randy use automake/autoconf which afaik he didn't do for the 1.22 linux release, that would make it a bit easier to port to platforms other than linux-i386.

Arioch said:

Screw the Legacy users, Nick.

Unless one of the fundamental aims of Freedoom is to be compatible with all major source ports, I'd agree with that. After all, there are things in Plutonia (and some of the big megawads) that don't work in Legacy either.

BTW, Legacy also "fixes" the AV bug and the lost soul limit.

According to the FreeDoom documentation:

• Freedoom is to be for boom compatible ports - so you may use boom linedef/sector types and effects in the levels. In fact, we encourage the use of boom effects in levels. The exception is that 2-3 levels will need to be plain doom2 for recording demos. (while boom editing features are fairly standard, there is no real standard demo format across the ports - the closest is original doom2 v1.9) There are some tutorials for boom editing here
  • Do not use tricks that exploit the original doom rendering engine, for example: deep water HOM tricks. These kind of tricks will probably not work in most of the modern OpenGL ports. We want people to be able to play freedoom in OpenGL as well as in the original renderer.

The player voodoo doll tricks do not fall under the renderer exploit category, and all the major source ports including Boom support them but Legacy.

And in any case, Legacy at last check does not even fully support Boom.

Personally, I have to say I consider Legacy's "fix" of the voodoo dolls to be a bug in itself. I'm not going to ask that map authors alter their levels to work around legacy's bugs. It would probably be too time consuming and it is better to complain to the legacy developers and get them to fix it.