Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Szymanski

DOOM ]I[ xbox exclusive?

"The latest issue of the Wired print magazine has a new article on the development of Doom III, id Software's upcoming and latest game in their celebrated first person shooter series. Among the more interesting tidbits in the article: Microsoft is offering lots of money to id to make an exclusive Doom III Xbox port (id hasn't decided yet if they will do so)"

http://www.homelanfed.com/index.php?id=13306

:(

I hope this is a late 1 april joke, or else head's start rolling >:(

It says "exclusive Doom III XBox port". Note the word "port". It means Microsoft wants the game ported from the PC version. There will definitly be a PC version.

I think by "exclusive" they meant "exclusive for the console market".

Shaviro said:

hmm... Single player add-on... Hell on Earth anybody?

My God, that would be sweet! By the way, did anybody see the new screenshots? The article on Homelan mentions new screenshots from the game.

Disorder said:

My God, that would be sweet! By the way, did anybody see the new screenshots? The article on Homelan mentions new screenshots from the game.

Nope, I didn't. I think it's time they showed some new monsters/locations/weapons. I'll be on the lookout. Can't you get on IRC?

Shaviro said:

Nope, I didn't. I think it's time they showed some new monsters/locations/weapons. I'll be on the lookout. Can't you get on IRC?

I'm too busy doing homework actually, sorry.

Janderson said:

I hope it doesn't go on Xbox- can't they stick it on PS2 instead!

you've got to be fucking joking thew plastation 2 isa the bigest pile of crap on the market and the playstation 3 will be out in like 15 months + ps2 couldent run the game if you wanted it to

Read my lips. There is no fucking way that Doom III would be exclusive to one platform. Doom III is going to come out on PC, Linux, Mac and XBox, and anyone who would doubt that deserves to be kicked in the mouth.

Lord FlatHead said:

Read my lips. There is no fucking way that Doom III would be exclusive to one platform. Doom III is going to come out on PC, Linux, Mac and XBox, and anyone who would doubt that deserves to be kicked in the mouth.

I think what the article means to tell is that Doom III might be an Xbox exclusive among the consoles. This of course does not mean it won't be released on pc. The article even says: "Doom III Xbox port."

Bottomline, nothing to worry about as far as I can tell.

Janderson said:

So the 'X-box' is better, eh?

The X-Box has a better graphics engine and more processor power. It makes sense to put it in a system like x-box that can handle higher graphics levels then ps2 can. If it were on PS2 it would have lower detail levels etc on things.

indeed, but that doesnt means that the x-box is a better console then the ps2.

EVIL said:

Never said that. Just said it can pump out better graphics. PS2 seems to have a better selection of games. Move along now children...

When all's said and done, I dont give two shits what console doom 3 will be ported to, because I'll be playing it on my PC the way doom was MEANT to be played. It just doesn't feel right playing it on a console, IMO.

Shaviro said:

hmm... Single player add-on... Hell on Earth anybody?

Maybe they'd remake Doom 1 and Doom 2 with the new Doom 3 engine?

Doom 3 = Doom 1 remake

Goat said:

When all's said and done, I dont give two shits what console doom 3 will be ported to, because I'll be playing it on my PC the way doom was MEANT to be played. It just doesn't feel right playing it on a console, IMO.

fuckin right

I dont like consoles, I dont own any console, exept an ancient snes

[noob]plonker said:

you've got to be fucking joking thew plastation 2 isa the bigest pile of crap on the market

No, that would be the GameCube.

Both of which couldn't run DOom3 anyway. The PS2 can't even do Multi-texturing...

Alientank said:

The X-Box has a better graphics engine and more processor power. It makes sense to put it in a system like x-box that can handle higher graphics levels then ps2 can. If it were on PS2 it would have lower detail levels etc on things.

EVIL said:

no doom wouldent run on a ps2 period dont you stupid ps2 lovin bitches get it its over the ps2 console is comming to an end!!! eaven on xbox doom 3 will run it un suxy gfx : 600x 400y

NiGHTMARE said:

No, that would be the GameCube.

a beter mashine than the ps2 and better engenired but the games suk realy bad but you have to bare in minde that its aimed @ a younger public 5 to 11 year olds

AirRaid said:

Both of which couldn't run DOom3 anyway. The PS2 can't even do Multi-texturing...

what he sayed

I dont like console games eather but Im not buying a new computer so im gunna hve to run it on my xbox.

Actually, the actual quotes suggest that Microsoft's proposing them to sit on their thumbs and not release Doom III till the Xbox port is done. Microsoft doesn't need to buy the shit out of id to exclusive-ize Doom III, it just can't be ported to Gamecube or PS2. Not PS2 at least, a Gamecube port would need a whole company working both on optimizing art assets and rewriting the engine from the ground up. That means whole -months- of advantage.

The point is this. M$ is throwing cash at id in order to have them shelve the PC version so that the Xbox port (if made) would be released first or at the same time (= HUGE Doom3 Xbox sales).

You can be damn sure M$ would take it further and pay id more if id would then delay the release of Doom3 on all other platforms (= bigger Xbox sales). Thats what M$ wants. Will they get it? They bloody well better not or I will lose all respect for id.

id won't do something like that. Carmack even said they are very well financially secure, they don't need any more money to keep doing what they want to do. Anyways, id won't delay the game just for xbox, that would be stupid.

I sure hope you are right. So far id haven't announced anything either way. Why not? Its been some time (weeks or likely months) since M$ approached them.

Perhaps they have a valid reason for keeping mum. Personally I think it would be a good thing if id would release a public statement saying they have turned down M$ indecent proposal.