Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I stumbled upon this proof of concept on YouTube. I'm not entirely sure what source port this person is using but he has successfully integrated lua scripting into Doom. This has tremendous possibilities. What does everyone think?

I think any source port with integrated Lua is clearly superior.

15 hours ago, dasho said:

I think any source port with integrated Lua is clearly superior.

Considering this is made for Woof, it will be interesting to see if this gets integrated.

Woof gaining Lua support would be a unique feature to the port, for sure.

On 1/30/2024 at 6:23 PM, Redneckerz said:

Considering this is made for Woof, it will be interesting to see if this gets integrated.

Woof gaining Lua support would be a unique feature to the port, for sure.

SRB2/PsyDoom for Woof! when?

If we get Lua support, I'm remaking Sword Fight on the Heights IV, mark my words.

My only gripe with this is that I don't like Lua as a language, but that's just a personal preference.

I wonder if something like this would be in the scope of MBF24 or whatever it's going to be called.

12 hours ago, Individualised said:

I wonder if something like this would be in the scope of MBF24 or whatever it's going to be called.

It's too bad this guy didn't post any code, but regardless, after looking at the video here's my take:

To work as expected this needs to expose lots of internal actor variables to do what it intends, and here's one big gotcha already: Not all Doom ports use fixed point math for coordinates! GZDoom uses 64 bit doubles and other ports may use 32 bit floats. If you want to export this to scripting, things may become messy because no direct variable access would be allowed. I'm unfamiliar with Lua, so I cannot say how much of an issue this really will be.

Another thing to consider is that this makes an external dependency a fundamental requirement. There are Doom ports written in other languages than C and C++ and some may not be able to integrate the Lua library, especially if they want to remain pure to their chosen language.