Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Alientank

Attention computer nerds

The Canterwood chipset supporting 800 mhz fsb's and the Springdale chipset supporting 667 mhz fsb's have been announced by several sources that they will be available widespread in a few weeks. Dell and a few other companies have already picked them up and are putting systems together with them already :D

sheesh, i must be dreaming or completely reatarted. most of the chips will be less than 100 bucks and with raid at 3 bucks. sheesh. someone enlighten me if i am wrong.

Too bad dell sucks. And what a bunch of fruity names for cores.

kain said:

how much will they be? how much processing power will they have?

What do you mean how much processing power will they have? The CPU is what does all the processing power. Anyways, the CPU's are going to have 1 MB cache instead of 512k cache like the Northwoods (533 mhz) have, along with reviewed hyperthreading, so it should perform much better, we will have to see though when the tests are done on anandtech in a few weeks-month. Use3d I am building a system I would never ever buy anything prebuilt except a laptop.

Not much of a choice with laptops. I bet those chips are going to be mighty pricey. A 1 mb cache is nuts though, that will make more difference than any clock speed increase.

yeah no shit. compared to a regular 800 mhz cpu and mine, mine is far faster. but it seeme that the benchmarks only test one processor. o well.

Use3D said:

Not much of a choice with laptops. I bet those chips are going to be mighty pricey. A 1 mb cache is nuts though, that will make more difference than any clock speed increase.

The 3.06 should cost what it did when it was first debuted last year, this time it's got a higher fsb. The FSB won't make a big difference, it's the doubled cache, and reviewed hyperthreading that should have the big jump.

Rotting Corpse said:

Hmmmmm,sound good.Use3D is right dell sucks.If they are going to use it.It can be good.AlienTank send me more info demons_hand@mail.com

Dell actually is one of the few companies good for home computers, they do get cheap about a few things but they do have good customer support. I'm not sure what you want me to send you. Just ask your questions here and I'll answer them.

When you buid you own comp.Ever other computer company suck's.I dont like dell or gateway cuz..They reuse parts form the computers that people send back to them.
So ya never now what people have done to the parts.

Rotting corpse is right in a way, but they only reuse parts that have been returned under the 30-day satisfaction guarantee. They don't reuse parts past that point. So their refurbished parts are usually as good as new.

Actuall I think its the FSB that makes all the difference. I read a benchmark which IIRC showed a 2.6ghz with 800mhz fsb (overclocked), outperforming a 3.06ghz with normal fsb. Makes a huge difference because the fsb is a big bottleneck in the system.

DaJuice said:

Actuall I think its the FSB that makes all the difference. I read a benchmark which IIRC showed a 2.6ghz with 800mhz fsb (overclocked), outperforming a 3.06ghz with normal fsb. Makes a huge difference because the fsb is a big bottleneck in the system.

Not necessarily, it depends on the application, in many ways the processor is the bottleneck since it does not get fully used, only about 35%, with HT, about 60-65%. I've seen tests done with the FSB speeds boosted to 800 mhz while it's impressive, we will not know the true power until someone get's a hold of an 800 mhz board and one of the new p4 3.06's that have 1 mb cache and support 800 mhz fsb speeds.

The FSB (or processor bus, for that matter,) is the communication pathway between the CPU and motherboard chipset. This, of course, means the bus will run at full motherboard speed. A potential bottleneck would most likely take place in the memory bus if the system isn't running memory speeds in time with the FSB.

Rotting Corpse said:

When you buid you own comp.Ever other computer company suck's.I dont like dell or gateway cuz..They reuse parts form the computers that people send back to them.
So ya never now what people have done to the parts.

I didn't build my own this time and saved a packet on what I'd have been forced to outlay for the same system otherwise (at least £1300).

Go see my thread again. Built PCs can be good value, but you usually have to queue up in a sale (like I did at 7:30am) o_O

pritch said:

I didn't build my own this time and saved a packet on what I'd have been forced to outlay for the same system otherwise (at least £1300).

Go see my thread again. Built PCs can be good value, but you usually have to queue up in a sale (like I did at 7:30am) o_O

Depends where you buy it. Also, most companies will skimp out on some things. Give a good processor but a terrible motherboard, etc. I think you just need to realize that if you get a good place like newegg.com then you can save some real $

Pritch - I could have probably built you that PC and beaten that price... probably.