Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Logamuffin

Does anyone else kinda hate RNG in Doom?

On 2/12/2024 at 2:30 AM, Shepardus said:

Maybe it's the shmup player in me speaking, but I miss from Doom the really tightly balanced battles of attrition where you have to manage your resources through the whole level or game. I don't really get that from most Doom WADs. There's multiple reasons for that (saves are another, probably more significant factor), but I think it's in part due to RNG handicapping people's ability to tune and balance encounters. Maybe you can take a dozen hits in a fight and still squeeze through, maybe you'll die in two, who knows? It impresses me that map makers have managed to create any semblance of balance from that. Some interesting special cases are "reality" maps, which make every hit equally important by making you have only 1HP to begin with. Kind of like an arcade shmup in that sense, but without any sort of lives system it tends to be too inflexible for my taste. Lengthy maps can also balance things out by law of large numbers; better yet if resources are limited but carried throughout the map. Long Road, No Turns is the example I always turn to. That map is long enough (even the individual sections) that the RNG of individual damage rolls fade away, and what matters is the rate at which you consume megaspheres versus the number of enemies you have killed. That's the sort of thing I'd like to see more of.

I'm a shmup player too. I say, just don't play with saves and try to "1cc" each map from a pistol start. It's fairly similar imo. You wouldn't save state your way through a shmup and say you cleared it would you?

On 2/19/2024 at 4:35 AM, Maribo said:

You wake up a big pack of revenants on the wrong tic and just made your life much harder because they'll all shoot homing at you 75% of the time.

I find homing missiles easier to dodge, probably a skill issue on my end.

I manage to end up "collecting" a bunch of homing missiles from running in circles; I forget about them for a bit then instantly get obliterated by like 12 of them crashing into my back.

The most hilarious RNG I seem to get is if it takes three Berserk punches to kill an Imp, that tells you the first two punches were both the lowest possible damage roll of 20. What then makes the kill unsatisfying is that if you don't gib it with that third punch, as it's much easier to gib an Imp with 20HP remaining with a Berserk (60+ damage roll needed) as opposed to full health (140+ damage roll needed).

4 hours ago, Andromeda said:

I find homing missiles easier to dodge, probably a skill issue on my end.

Like rd said, a mix of them is the most dangerous, but homing or static missiles can be more/less dangerous than each other depending on the room layout and monster composition and all that.