Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zoost

New info in May's Wired

I noticed this thread: http://www.quake3world.com/ubb/Forum23/HTML/000861.html?

"Ok, I went to the bookstore and read the May issue of Wired.
It talks about the history of id, and how Carmack thinks that game engine development will plateau; game companies will no longer crank out an engine every few years. He believes that programmers will become more like creative directors, and games will be produced on the same scale and pace that films like Monsters, Inc. are. Carmack wanted to do a project like that in late 2000, but the rest of the id team felt that doing DOOM III was a better choice than making a game that the public might not accept. Also, it mentions that Carmack

comes in at 12 in the afternoon and stays until 2 AM; the entire staff feeds on brownies and coffee.

The article does have a new screenshot or two, one of them is a full page screen of an Imp. Imo, it looked more than a bit angular. Also, there was a mention of a map in the game called "Delta Map 2", where your mission is to find a scientists that can lead the way to the Gates of Hell.

The article mentioned an SP, MP expansion and the "random mission generator" at the very end, and personally I think all Wired is doing is speculating, with no real proof. The line went something like this: "Doom III will undoubtedly (or some word to that effect) have a single-player expansion that'll have more SP options, an MP expansion (blahblahblah)... and possibly a system for dynamically generating levels on the fly." I do remember that much.

There was a quote from Christian Antkow, "We cannot fuck this up."

...and possibly a system for dynamically generating levels on the fly......

There must be a good storyline there!

You're avatar is awesome.

Now, on subject.

I think what it said in 'Wired' (which I've never even heard of, btw), sounds a bit convincing. But then again, I tricked all of NewDoom by creating a fake inteview w/ Tim Willits and Trent Reznor and posting it in their Doom 3 forum for April Fools day.

Well, hmm, wether they have solid proof or not doesn't matter to me any, the fact that there's actually some form of new news out there to end the streak of silence is enough to satisfy me for now. But I did see where Amazon and quite a few other sites had Doom 3's release date as July 31st, 2003 (U.S.) and June 30th (U.K.). I also have a very reliable source who owns Doom 3 at this moment and I was told that it's obviously complete and I.d. is merely waiting to put it out on store shelfs for the market. Dunno why though.

Melfice Darkmage said:

I also have a very reliable source who owns Doom 3 at this moment and I was told that it's obviously complete and I.d. is merely waiting to put it out on store shelfs for the market. Dunno why though.

I somehow doubt that...

Zoost said:

...and possibly a system for dynamically generating levels on the fly......

Soldier of Fortune II had such a feature and it blew donkey cock. I'd rather they work on the level design a bit more instead of coming up with silly things like that.

Lord FlatHead said:

Soldier of Fortune II had such a feature and it blew donkey cock. I'd rather they work on the level design a bit more instead of coming up with silly things like that.

Well then be glad it is not the level designers who are working on it!

Zoost said:

Also, there was a mention of a map in the game called "Delta Map 2", where your mission is to find a scientists that can lead the way to the Gates of Hell.

Cool, can't wait.

Melfice Darkmage said:

I also have a very reliable source who owns Doom 3 at this moment and I was told that it's obviously complete and I.d. is merely waiting to put it out on store shelfs for the market. Dunno why though.

mehhh it could happen.......

If ID is holding Doom 3's release, it's probably to squarsh any annoying serious bugs before shipping. Frankly, if I were ID, I'd hold the game for 2 months and have everyone there perform massive bug-searching hunts for hours on end daily, told to do the most craziest shit they can think of to crash the game. Then, when it doesn't crash anymore, release it.

Frankly, it would piss off fans that it is being held back but I think it'd piss fans off even more if they had to wait a few weeks for a patch while their fresh copy of Doom 3 fucks up every 6 seconds.

Melfice Darkmage said:

if they're sitting on it, wouldnt it correlate to reports of MS giving them the big $$ to give a simultaneous xbox/pc release?
huh? huh?

Generating levels on the fly? No Way!

At least not in Doom 3. The concept just militates against the spirit of the game.

BBG said:

If ID is holding Doom 3's release, it's probably to squarsh any annoying serious bugs before shipping. Frankly, if I were ID, I'd hold the game for 2 months and have everyone there perform massive bug-searching hunts for hours on end daily, told to do the most craziest shit they can think of to crash the game. Then, when it doesn't crash anymore, release it.

Frankly, it would piss off fans that it is being held back but I think it'd piss fans off even more if they had to wait a few weeks for a patch while their fresh copy of Doom 3 fucks up every 6 seconds.

If it doesnt run better than the alpha does when it comes Out Im gonna be sick. I expect id lto live up to their past record of making their games run well on just about any new system

grimiv said:

if they're sitting on it, wouldnt it correlate to reports of MS giving them the big $$ to give a simultaneous xbox/pc release?
huh? huh?

No. Id hasnt started developing for x-box. THeyve never said they are making it. Theyve only said they would port it to xbox, because it was the only system out that could live up to it

Thanx for the info!

"Doom 3 is not expected out until the fall."

Godamn! (When does fall start in Texas?).

Zoost said:

"Doom 3 is not expected out until the fall."

....grr.....loads his shotgun.

.....grrr....

Turns to load his shotgun but realises he doesn't have one, AND WONT HAVE ONE UNTIL THE FALL!!!!!!!

GRRRRRRR

Shit, crappity crap crap

"Microsoft is continuing to work with id Software trying to get them to hold the PC version until an Xbox port is done. Id, so far, hasn't announced their decision on the subject."

OMG that is such bullshit! They better not make us wait LONGER just for a simultaneous release! That is so lame!

Goat said:

"Microsoft is continuing to work with id Software trying to get them to hold the PC version until an Xbox port is done. Id, so far, hasn't announced their decision on the subject."

I don't see id doing that. To quote John Carmack in an interview I have on MP3: "id has a pretty secure financial footing, so there really isn't anyone who can use money to force us into doing anything."

Disorder said:

I wonder if there will be nightvision goggles in the game. So you can shoot out lights and hunt the Demons.

I think id wants you to feel that YOU are HUNTED, and not the other way around. but i dont know.. maby for sertain places.. and you can only use it for a small amount of time because the batteries are almost dead. etc. to get to certain places. just speculating here

EVIL said:

I think id wants you to feel that YOU are HUNTED, and not the other way around. but i dont know.. maby for sertain places.. and you can only use it for a small amount of time because the batteries are almost dead. etc. to get to certain places. just speculating here

That would be a great idea. A blurred greenish vision interrupted by flashes of gunfire. Of course you should get the feeling that you're the one who's being hunted, but it might be fun for a couple of minutes. Either way you would feel scared.

Most of the quotes in the article are from John Carmacks speech at QuakeCon, unless the guy memorizes his own words

Disorder said:

I wonder if there will be nightvision goggles in the game. So you can shoot out lights and hunt the Demons.

Doom had the Light-Amp Goggles, so why not?