Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marine_Eliminator

When you first met the Cyber Demon...

We all knew from the start (before we ever played him) that the Cyber Demon was big, bad and ugly. We knew he was a baddie - but we never knew how scary it could be to hear him stomping right behind you. I think his first appearance was The Tower Of Babael in Ultimate Doom, and man i rmember playing that level - 3:30 in the morning, my wife and kids are sleeping, i got the computer all to myself, havin a good ol' time and then i reach a point were i hear loud stomping behind me and i see this big ol' goatface robotic freak. I swear to god i screamed. I am such a wuss lol. How did everyonelse react? you guys probably went along with the game, but man it was pitch black in my house and i wasnt expectin it, but i beat him the 2nd time i played that level (sidestepped like a frikin maniac!)

I was shocked to say the least. I just sort of stared at the screen as he walked up and blew my poor little marine away at close range.

Well, I ran scared, heart beating. After some time I mustered courage enough to actually try firing at him.

After I saw that the rockets didn't even put him in pain state I panicked a bit more.

In the end he came down though. The worst parts were restocking your rockets in one of the small rooms fearing the cybie would stand just in front of the entrance when I was finished.

My first time facing the Spider Mastermind was probably my greatest Doom-related dissapointment. A bright boring marble arena, and the Mastermind: Plasma Gun, BLAAAAST-SighKerthunk! Boring!

It all started one day in about 2nd grade. I was at my friend's and his parents allowed us to finally play doom. It took us a week to get up to the boss map in episode 2. We came out and shot and heard the roar of the demon and were scared out of our minds (being little kids and all). We eventually went out one of the doors and slowly crept around one of the pillars when the cyb came rounding the marble tower. We literally jumped out of the chairs. His mom said it should've been on camera and sent to America's Funniest Home Videos. (Probably would've won on that beat show too...) Anyway yea, that's my story of the first cyb encounter.

I honestly do not remember my first cyb encounter. Oh wait, it was about two years ago when I first joined DW. He yelled at me about something. :P

sihplar heh.

I do however, remember my first BOH encounter. Rising up that lift, I had no idea what I was getting into. The music kept me on the edge of my seat. I took a step off the lift, and there they were. They roared. 100 bullets and 10 shotgun shells later, I had them beaten. I was sitting in awe in one of the coolest monsters in FPS history (not to mention their cool deathstates). And then I died. Seems a stray fireball hit a barrel, and I happened to be standing next to it.

And even to this day, nothing can beat the Baron of Hell. Except impsex.

I remember hearing the stomping first, and feeling quite nervous about what I might be about to face. I ran out of the central room, but he was on the other side. So I started blowing away the lost souls waiting for him. Then I turned, and there he was...

Then I got splattered.

To tell you the truth, the most vivid thing I remember about my first time in E2M8 was not the Cyberdemon itself, but the initial room in the tower. I remember looking at the wall and seeing the mutilated Barons and thinking "What the Hell is strong enough to do that to a Baron?!" (I was still scared of Barons at that time, they seem a lot more powerful when you're a newbie, I think.) Of course, I already knew what was waiting for me, because I read a magazine article about the game long before I actually got a chance to play it. I don't remember much of the first fight itself, besides being impressed by the monster's sound effects and being eager to tear into him.

Speaking of that magazine article, I recall the Cyberdemon's heading being "Cyberdemon (Greater Baron of Hell)". Has anyone else ever heard him referred to as the Greater Baron of Hell?

Little Faith said:

My first time facing the Spider Mastermind was probably my greatest Doom-related dissapointment. A bright boring marble arena, and the Mastermind: Plasma Gun, BLAAAAST-SighKerthunk! Boring!

I agree.

Those splattered Barons gave me the jitters too, but it's the sounds of the Cyberdemon that really make it memorable; when you're relatively new at DOOM, hearing that awe-inspiring "ROAAAAARGH!" and then the continuous "k-THUNK" of his footsteps is even scarier than the actual Cyberdemon itself.

Still, the first time I encountered the Cyberdemon (this might have actually been in DOOM 2 instead of the first DOOM, as I never played the complete DOOM until well after I purchased and finished DOOM 2), my reaction was "Oh SHIT," then running away, then pumping a few rockets into him before getting reduced to spaghetti sauce.

I finished most of Hell Revealed recently, and although they're still terrifying Cyberdemons just aren't the same after that. Sigh...

Although I had played Doom and DoomII before, the first time I faced the Cyberdemon was in Doom64. The sound fx for it's footsteps are fantastic in that game. It really scared the shit out of me in that one map, where it's just a bunch of caged imps and one Cyberdemon that teleports all over the place.

Before I got the full version of Doom, I saw the title painting of Doom and it seemed that Cacodemon was the most powerful demon of all because the image of Cyberdemon was so tiny in the shareware. Until I finally got the full version of the game in hands, it was quite surprisely awkward and devastating. It was incredibly amazingingly creepy when I read on Gamefaq about the possible damages the Cyberdemon could do. Holy cow...

The first time i played E2M8 was on a stone age computer (386, 40 MHz, 4MB) and the gameplay was so choppy that I was completely unable to beat the Cyberdemon. Back then this beast gave me Nightmares... ;-) I only managed to complete E2M8 half a year later when I upgraded to a P90. What a satisfying feeling! It is interesting that the Cyberdemon remains one of the strongest hardest to beat bosses of all time. Almost nothing I experienced afterward could compete with the battle that is E2M8. Too many games try to create a 'challenge' by placing a boss in a very tight space so that there is almost no space to fight (Duke Nukem 3D comes to mind)
I still don't understand why this is not the end-boss of Doom. The Spider in E3M8 is a total joke. I managed to beat that level upon first try in less than 20 seconds. That was really disappointing.

I don't remember my reaction, but it was probably something like: ".........help..", and then I died.

One of the reasons why the Spiderdemon was so easy to beat was because you had the BFG9000 and the Plasma gun, along with a lot of ammo (and if you played E3M7 right, 200 health and 200 armor). If the Spiderdemon was in E2M8, with the rocket launcher being the biggest weapon in that episode, it would be a lot harder to beat (although not as hard as the Cyberdemon because of it's size). If the Cyberdemon was in E3M8, we would have a lot more room to dodge those rockets, and you could just fire a few BFG shots in his general direction, and he'd be dead.

The bosses are fine where they are. However, what I would have liked to have seen was the Spiderdemon being only the first part of the boss. In other words, once the metal spider frame falls to the ground, the brain itself floats up and starts flying around shooting either plasma or rockets. Rockets coming from up above are a lot harder to avoid than those that fly parallel to the ground because of radius damage.

Yeah the spider mastermind was pretty easy, which was a dossapointment kuz he looked so cool and very threatening! I was hoping for a good match, but instead he was defeated in about i minuit in my first try for me.

Ichor said:

If the Cyberdemon was in E3M8, we would have a lot more room to dodge those rockets, and you could just fire a few BFG shots in his general direction, and he'd be dead.

There's another thing: You can't risk approaching the Cyberdemon too close because you'd get immediately hit by a rocket at close distance. With the Spider Boss you can which means you only need 2 BFG shots at close range and he is toast. The Cyberdemon is a challenge even if you have a BFG simply because his weapon is so much more devastating. The chaingun of the Spider is a joke for a boss weapon!

One of my friends was a Captain in the U.S. Army Reserves and had been in Desert Storm during the first conflict with Iraq. He told me how his hands were shaking after his first encounter with the cyberdemon. So naturally, when I entered the Tower of Babel I was quite nervous.

At my first glimpse of the big guy I turned tail and ran. I finally mustered up the nerve to face him, but I soon regretted that decision. After being splattered several times I learned to snipe and run. It was a most satisfying feeling to defeat the sucker, but like my friend, I came away pretty shaken by the experience.

Now that's the mark of an action game worth playing.

Ah, the days when a monster could actually do that to you. I haven't felt that way since Doom, maybe Quake. I miss all that :( games, like movies, should stir up emotion in you, and actually make you feel like you're there.

I can't say I remember what happened the first time, but I do remember how long it took me to beat him. I didn't know about strafing for the LONGEST time, and I worked out a figure eight system moving around pillars (run, shoot, run, shoot, run...) to avoid being hurt. It took me about a week to finally beat him. Now that I know how to strafe, well... you can almost stand toe-to-hoof with a Cybie.

ZarcyB said:

Ah, the days when a monster could actually do that to you. I haven't felt that way since Doom, maybe Quake. I miss all that :( games, like movies, should stir up emotion in you, and actually make you feel like you're there.

Ya, i miss that too.Half-Life sort of did that.

Ultimate DooMer said:

He didn't scare me when I first saw him, mostly because I was invincible and he was surrounded by a load of barons....

Tricks and traps one of my fave doom2 maps.

Marine_Eliminator said:

Yeah the spider mastermind was pretty easy, which was a dossapointment kuz he looked so cool and very threatening! I was hoping for a good match, but instead he was defeated in about i minuit in my first try for me.

You know it wasn't easy the first time around. :P

First time I met the Cyberdemon was Tower of Babel. The initial stompin' was incredible, it certainly built the tension, I was playing with the sound through my stereo at that time, nice 'n' beefy. Then I remember the screen just going red and the poor little marine screaming, several times this happened. I thought, shit the game's broke! Eventually I started the map and entered the outside area when he was elsewhere and there he was 'A missile launching skyscraper with goat legs',shit:~

The first time I "truly" met cybie was when I played against him in Tower of Babel in Nightmare mode with Doom95. Now that was an encounter. :D It was all the better that after 15-20 minutes of careful battle, a close one, I actually won.

E2M8, The crazy circus music creeped me quite a bit.

Personally I reckon that E3M8 is harder than E2M8 if you start with only 100% health and the pistol. The huge rocket surplus and two soulspheres make the level a tad tedious, whereas with the SMM it's a mad dash around the border collecting the meagre supplies praying you won't be blocked halfway around by a caco and hoping the SSM picks a fight with one of the other 3 monsters on the level before it guns you down.