Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brad_tilf

Is Classic Doom/Doom2, well... Doomed?

Do you think that the arrival of Doom3 when it occurs will be the dethnell so to speak of the original game?

Not really. I feel there'll be a time where we ignore the old dooms for a while but i'm sure we'll still have wads being made and so forth, espicially since there will be quite a few people without a powerful enough pc to play doom3 with.

Classic Doom will live on because there will still be communities like us.

Nah, seeing its still a Doom game, people wont leave the older Dooms. I mean, we still play them now, what would the release of Doom 3 do to make us not want to play the older Dooms anymore? :D

Ah yes, I remember this thread. Why'd all the posts in it get deleted and the title changed? Oh, it's a new thread. Well anyway, When, uh...let's say...Quake came out, was that the end of this game? No. So why would DooM 3 end this game?

Hmmmmmmm....NO! Doom is the best p.c. game ever made.It will never get boring.Doom3 will only make doom beter.Becouse people will make doom more like doom3.

The new doom will never ever be better than the original 2 in my book. Thoose 2 games started it all, they made the videogameing world way more interesting. as a hardcore obsessed doomer, i would never turn my back on the classics.

Something to not forget is that DOOM3 really won't be modify-able.
Quake4 will be, but Doom3 no.
surely the following for DOOM3 will be very large....

No, Doom3 is another game altogether and long term won't really affect the popularity of Doom/Doom2.

Classic DooM will never be killed by DooM 3 - because DooM 3 will be just another modern FPS (in terms of gameplay), IOW nothing like DooM 1/2's gameplay (the reason why we all love it), hence the classics will survive. Plus not everyone will have a 2GHz PC to play it on...

Doom3 will NOT change the way I feel about Doom. No game has, will.

Nanami said:

What? I thought we all had 64GHz and 32Tb RAM...

In a dream world. :D

Actually in a dream world there would be no specs, all computers would be unlimited in anything. :D

doom3 is going to completely change doom for me!!!! after i get doom3 i will be so happy and 1337 that i wont evar have to go bake to the old dooms with there crappy gfx and stuff liek that i cant wait to delete my old doomz !!!

Nanami said:

I personally don't care about Doom3 at all.

WORD! :p

doom3 won't be any more "doom" to me than RTCW was wolfenstein :P

Brad_tilf said:

Do you think that the arrival of Doom3 when it occurs will be the dethnell so to speak of the original game?

If that was the case Doom would have been doomed 5 years ago when Quake 2 was released. Of all the games that came after Doom this was by far the closest in terms of gameplay (and the one I play most besides Doom). But it seems that the people are losing interest in Q2 and Doom is still alive. It was the first and therefore will forever be something special. Let's just hope that Doom 3 will live as long...

But in all honesty, I think Doom would have been dead for years if it wasn't for all the user-made levels and the source release which started completely new ways of mapping for Doom.

DEMOn said:

What do you mean? Are you refering to mod making?

No. If anything, Doom and Doom2 will get more regognition IMO, because, for one thing, they're the games that started it all. To play Doom3 and ignore the first couple Doom games would be a crime of epic proportions.

I don't think so at all. Duke 3D, Quake, Half-life and the others have still failed to be better than Doom in my eyes. I doubt that Doom 3 will fare any better.

Draconio said:

I don't think so at all. Duke 3D, Quake, Half-life and the others have still failed to be better than Doom in my eyes. I doubt that Doom 3 will fare any better.

You cannot compare Half-Life with Doom. The games are completely different. I have to agree though with Duke Nukem and Quake (and too many other First Person Shooters) which never were as good as Doom. The biggest disappointment for me was Elite Force which was an overscripted mess with no real gameplay. Almost no puzzles, totally linear levels and extremely badly planned monster placement. (If you can call being assaulted every 2 minutes by a sh*tload of monsters 'placement') I prefer Doom over something like that every time.

The way I see it is that before Quake 2, all FPS's had fast-paced gameplay with plenty of carnage to boot. From Quake 2 onwards (the 'modern FPS') all that changed and gameplay started being slower, more linear and giving you no more than a few monsters at a time. Because the two sets of games are so different, it's not really possible to compare them. Like sargebaldy said, RtCW doesn't compare to Wolf3D, IMO Quake 1 and Quake 2 don't really compare, and I expect it to be the same with DooM 1/2 and 3.

DEMOn said:

Eh? What are you on about? From what Id have told us, Doom 3 will be one of the most modifiable games ever.

Shaviro said:

Why play Doom 1/2 if you have a better, newer version?

Because we're anti-conformists. :)

Shaviro said:

First it has to prove that it's indeed better (and that doesn't mean better graphics!)

Shaviro said:

you fail it

why's everyone so wowed by the graphics anyway? the only good things i saw in the alpha was advanced lighting and other effects (whoop-de-doo) and great sounds. it's a little scary too, but only because the lights are dim as hell. it hardly had truly good atmosphere and the level design was meh. and the only monster so far that looks cool is the concept art of the arachnotron. there wasn't anything really that spectacular in there...

without hall, romero, mcgee, green, peterson, and prince, amongst others, who between them designed all the maps in doom1 and doom2, did all the game design work, and all the sounds and music, all you have left is a nerd who likes programming more than games and a couple of artists who were blackmailed into doing the project at all by a company that vowed never make a 3rd doom at all.

i can see how people might want to see a true doom sequel, and see it's by id so omg it must be a true sequel, just like quake2 was a perfect sequel to quake and quake3 was a perfect sequel to quake2, and RTCW was a perfect sequel to wolf3d. face it, id's been selling out for the better part of a decade now.

sargebaldy said:

without hall, romero, mcgee, green, peterson, and prince

Peterson? Are you mad? Without him, Doom 1 and 2 would have been even better!

I think that Romero's more than proved that his presence isn't what made ID's games the success stories that they are.

As for Prince... yes, he makes excellent MIDIs, but have you heard his MP3s? They're awful. And before you suggest MIDI for Doom 3, let me just say 'no'.