Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Darch

Pirate Doom II (finished!)

Recommended Posts

Made an account just to say how stoked I am for this, I've been chasing the high of the original Pirate DOOM ever since I played it

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Probably not the right place for this but I hope its still kosher. Ive been playing through Pirate Doom in anticipation of 2's release and Ive run across a small issue that maybe someone smarter than me knows something about. I know it was a gzdoom release but being as old as it is I was hoping that lzdoom would run it without problems (Ive never been able to make proper gz run on my comp.) and for the first nine or so lvls there have been none. Upon reaching the end room of Plunder Fort though things get wonky, all of the textures are blacked out in the final exit room. Then entering Lost City the same thing happens except the textures come back, then go black, then return. The map is playable but the textures cutting out randomly really did suck. The next level is even worse as its almost pitch black and the textures arent coming back as often nor for as long. I assume its probably a setting thing but I dont know the first thing about light lvls or bright maps or any such stuff, Ive tried to never adjust or change anything and have always run with what ever I got to work. If any of ya'all could help me out it would be much appreciated...

Share this post


Link to post

@Insaneprophet maybe something to do with fog, since those maps use it. What video renderer are you using?

 

I'm not sure what settings are best in LZDoom to fix this, as a last resort you could try disabling fog. Enter fog in the options search, from the options menu.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

That really did help ALOT, parts of the map that were blacked out almost completely before are seeable now but there is still a little bit of random "texture blackening" or "flickering" so there is more goofing it up than just the fog.

 

Edit. Oh yeah, thank you @plums

Share this post


Link to post

Tried this out tonight in COOP. No music played.
 

We ran into a few texture issues (which I'll document separately). ZMAPINFO is a little dated at this point. UMAPINFO would definitely be a big plus and there is an appreciation thread on this. MUSINFO isn't supported in all ports either, and in my multiplayer's case won't work in Odamex - the only multiplayer port that supports MBF21 right now.

Share this post


Link to post

I have a gnarly backlog, to include the original PD, so I'll wait for final release. Cheers on the beta!

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, TheFartKing said:

We ran into a few texture issues (which I'll document separately). ZMAPINFO is a little dated at this point. UMAPINFO would definitely be a big plus and there is an appreciation thread on this. MUSINFO isn't supported in all ports either, and in my multiplayer's case won't work in Odamex - the only multiplayer port that supports MBF21 right now.

ZMAPINFO can do a lot of stuff that UMAPINFO can't, it's just (G)ZDoom-specific (e.g. PD2 has scrolling skies set in ZMAPINFO), so it's not really correct to call it dated. If @Darch wanted to add an episode selection then UMAPINFO would be the way to go for non-ZDoom ports, but since the ZMAPINFO doesn't have that, he might not want it.

 

And the wad is plain-old-MBF compatible, not MBF21, so it should work fine in Zandronum (though there are still some issues with MUSINFO there I think).

 

Maybe people need to start calling MBF wads MBF98-compatible or something :p . Of course this wad won't work on original MBF.exe so that's no good either I guess.

Edited by plums

Share this post


Link to post

Just commenting to say very very cool, I'll try to get around to the original (and Preacher, I remember liking that a lot back then) when I'm not preoccupied with ambitions elsewhere in Dooming at the moment. Screenies look fantastic and non-ZDoom support is great for more playerbase. Easily the biggest announcement of Q1 2024 for me, very excited to see final release.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Yarr, what be the story of this tale?

 

(This looks amazing. Does the wad have a story attached to it?)

Share this post


Link to post

I would be thrilled to beta test this. The original is one of my favorite WADs of all time. Very excited for this project.

Share this post


Link to post

I finished sending in my beta testing reports! I got through all the maps and made reports for each one! 

I had a lot of fun playing and testing these maps, they're very short and sweet maps with a lot of great new assets to look at!

 

I'm not sure if the beta testers are allowed to discuss specific reported issues in public, but if they are allowed to do that - there is one thing I want to ask the other testers.

Share this post


Link to post

I'll need to make time to play this!

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Ar_e_en said:

I finished sending in my beta testing reports! I got through all the maps and made reports for each one! 

I had a lot of fun playing and testing these maps, they're very short and sweet maps with a lot of great new assets to look at!

 

I'm not sure if the beta testers are allowed to discuss specific reported issues in public, but if they are allowed to do that - there is one thing I want to ask the other testers.

how did you deliver the reports if I may ask? unlisted videos? text? or?

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, CBM said:

how did you deliver the reports if I may ask? unlisted videos? text? or?

I sent a private message to ask for access to the beta. He gave me the link to the beta and in the same private message thread - I sent out several written bullet point lists of issues that I found in each map over the course of a few days. While making the list - I had SLADEs internal map editor open and I used it to find the "id" numbers of each line and sector that had a fault.

 

In other words: it was mostly a bullet point text list with line and sector numbers written out.

However - I did also post a handful of images for very specific issues that I found, as well as one demo recording for one exploit that I found in Map 27.

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks, everybody! I'm still watching the demos sent and addressing any issues found during testing. @Scuba Steve has come aboard and made several sprite fixes and weapon animations. The cutlass has been completely remade by him, and looks much better now. For those who still want to participate in beta testing, I can send you the next version via PM when it's ready. Feedback can also be sent through PM. I apologize for not replying to everyone yet, but I will get to it soon!

 

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Darch said:

Thanks, everybody! I'm still watching the demos sent and addressing any issues found during testing. @Scuba Steve has come aboard and made several sprite fixes and weapon animations. The cutlass has been completely remade by him, and looks much better now. For those who still want to participate in beta testing, I can send you the next version via PM when it's ready. Feedback can also be sent through PM. I apologize for not replying to everyone yet, but I will get to it soon!

 

ok cool... I will probably do something similar to what ar_e_en did.. I played all the maps once already to become familiar with the maps and I intend to play them again soon and take notes along the way for each map.... let me know if I should make more unlisted playthrough videos of each map as I play them

Share this post


Link to post

I played the first half of the wad, plus the secret levels. Enjoyed myself quite a bit, will DM the details. I await the updated version.

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, TwelvNighn said:

can i volunteer as a beta tester?

this wad be lookin lit!

Sure you can! PM me!

 

On 3/17/2024 at 10:21 AM, Zesiir said:

Yarr, what be the story of this tale?

 

(This looks amazing. Does the wad have a story attached to it?)

Pirate Doom: All pirates turned into demons!

Pirate Doom 2: All pirates turned into demons again!

 

On 3/17/2024 at 10:36 PM, Ar_e_en said:

I finished sending in my beta testing reports! I got through all the maps and made reports for each one! 

I had a lot of fun playing and testing these maps, they're very short and sweet maps with a lot of great new assets to look at!

 

I'm not sure if the beta testers are allowed to discuss specific reported issues in public, but if they are allowed to do that - there is one thing I want to ask the other testers.

Thanks a bunch! Feel free to ask the other testers

 

8 hours ago, CBM said:

ok cool... I will probably do something similar to what ar_e_en did.. I played all the maps once already to become familiar with the maps and I intend to play them again soon and take notes along the way for each map.... let me know if I should make more unlisted playthrough videos of each map as I play them

If you're going to play it again, wait a bit for the next version to be ready! Should be done in the next few days

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Darch said:

Pirate Doom: All pirates turned into demons!

Pirate Doom 2: All pirates turned into demons again!

 

Yarr! An' by the looks 'o the first map 'o the second tale, tharr be a mutiny on yer ship! Scallywags!

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×