Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chris Hansen

Helpyourselfish can't help itself it seems. Can you?

For my new level I'd like some new tree sprites. They have to be green, and relatively big. That leads to two questions:

1. Where do I find such sprites? The ones Kurt uses in his kzdoom levels are brilliant. I'd like them to look like that. I could of course ask him, but maybe you guys have any ideas.

2. How do I put them into the wad? I'm not very familiar with WinTex, which should be a good tool for such actions. I normally use NWT for handling wads and know the basics of that program.

Thanks in advance!

c-cooper said:

1. Where do I find such sprites? The ones Kurt uses in his kzdoom levels are brilliant. I'd like them to look like that. I could of course ask him, but maybe you guys have any ideas.

I believe that Kurt uses multiple linedefs to create the illusion of a 3 dimensional tree. Those aren't sprites in the game.

2. How do I put them into the wad? I'm not very familiar with WinTex, which should be a good tool for such actions.

WinTex will work for what you're planning (i.e., inserting sprite frames into your wad). Also check out DeepSea and XWE. Here's a cut-and-paste from one of my earlier posts on this subject:

To insert your sprite graphics using XWE do the following:

1. Make new bitmaps and use the correct names to overwrite the corresponding names in the IWAD. In other words, name each new frame with the name of the corresponding frame in the original DooM/2 wad.
    2. Open your file in XWE.
    3. Create a new entry -- (Entry > New) and name it SS_START.
    4. Load your sprite frames -- (Entry > Load) You may make multiple selections, using the Shift key.
    5. Create another new entry after all your sprite frames -- (Entry > New) and name it SS_END. Thereafter, make sure you insert all sprite graphics between the SS_START and SS_END markers.

Thank you very much ReX! If there's anyone outthere who knows about these matters, it must be you. Your levels are always loaded with new stuff!

Thanks for the link BlueSonnet! I'm downloading as we speak. We'll have to wait and see if I like 'em or not. Are they "free" to use? Given of course that I credit the author.

Yeah you can, providing that you give credit to the author.

btw: something i should have told you having looked at the readme. Keep this wad out of reach from kids and religious fanatics.

c-cooper said:

Those ARE sprites.

Sorry about the confusion, Chris. I thought you were talking about Kurt's more recent wad (KZDooM7, as Graf pointed out), in which he used linedefs to create the appearance of a 3 dimensional tree.

Blue Sonnet mentioned Sirens. You can also get an excellent leafy green oak tree sprite from Team TNT's Eternal DooM. I have used it in some of my levels. If you're looking for a palm tree, Joe Zona had one in his Real.wad. I modified it to create a taller palm tree in Paranoia (which you reviewed, btw).

Also, I'll dig through my archives. I remember that someone had made a very nice tree sprite a while ago.

No need to be sorry, ReX! In a way, we were having a discussion where both parties where right! ;-) I took a look at kzdoom7, and yes, those are "3d" trees. http://home13.inet.tele.dk/CNH/DOOM0004.jpg just so people can see it for themselves.

I've also looked a bit at XWE, and it seems to be a very userfriendly tool. And it's got some advantages over NWT: It doesn't run in a Windows DOS prompt ;-)

Update: Link fixed!

Okay. I pulled out a tree sprite from kzdoom6 via XWE and saved it as a bmp-file. I made sure that it had the same size as the original tree sprite from Doom II, which it was going to replace, and the same name e.g. "Smita0.bmp" and 47x47 pixels. Then I opened up my helpyourselfish wad (unfinished version) and created the ss_start, loaded the file "smitao" and created ss_end. As I loaded up the wad file in Doom II, the tree wasn't there. Not even the orignal one. (I believe "smita0" is actually Spiky Tree Stump, just in case).

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong here?

c-cooper said:

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong here?

Is it possible that you need to apply x- and y-offsets to your image? (Although I suspect this is not the problem, because you'd at least see something where your tree should be.)

Also, as you may be aware, vanilla DooM/2 cannot be used when custom sprites have been added to a wad, unless the sprites have been appended with a utility such as DeuTex. Your best bet is to use a source port that allows you to use custom sprites. ZDooM, Legacy, jDooM, and BooM work fine for me, but I'm sure all the recently developed source ports will work just as well.

A suggestion when using XWE to copy lumps from one wad to another -- you do not need to save a lump to a folder, then load it into your destination wad (although it should work fine). Simply open up your source wad, open up another instance of XWE (i.e., XWE in a second window) and open your destination file. Select your lump from the source wad (in this case, SMITA0), and paste it into your destination wad. Then simply move it into place between the SS_START and SS_END markers.

Thanks again, ReX! You know your way around this s***, man! I can't thank you enough, especially since this last advice was exactly what I was looking for/overlooking. It worked! I tried it with some trees from Kristian's RuinBros and it just looked sweet! I've sent him an e-mail asking for permission to use 'em. They are really cool.

And btw. BlueSonnet, the only thing I found in Sirens was naked ladies with a bad hairday and a knack for shooting fireballs at me! But very OK looking indeed, not bad at all. I mean, graphics wise... ;-) Kudos to the author for an original job well done!