Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
alexz721

the NEW cdrom.com archives

Ok, who remembers ftp://ftp.cdrom.com? Good. Anyway, I've been thinking, there's a lot of wads that were lost when the site went down. Maybe someone could start a website with all the old wadfiles from cdrom.com that are no longer located in the 3darchives. This would have to be a collective project, since nobody actually owns every wad (unless there are some diehard wad collectors out there who managed to get every wad before the site died). I know a bunch of the wads are on that cd that came with the book Tricks of the Doom Gurus, and there are probably some in the D!Zone collections and Maximum Doom, and yes, I am also aware that many of the wads were absolute crap. However, I think it would be a shame to let so many wads be lost forever. Not to mention that some of the wads were amazingly good. Anyone agree? Suggestions, comments are welcome.

As it turns out I DID save most of that stuff just before they went bellyup but the only ones I've posted on my site in almost totality are the deathmatch wads. As said - most of them sucked anyway.
But - if you want to check out the near 3000 that I have on my site - click on the link in my sig.

Stuff was lost how? Do you mean certain things that were uploaded while cdrom.com was dying? Otherwise there's been changes in the Archive through the years; some files were upgraded, others eliminated due to problems (legal or otherwise), and some probably lost by mistake.

You can check the older mirrors that aren't updated nowadays (in other words, true cdrom.com mirrors) as well as FileLibrary. The "Hall of Mirrors" page lists these old mirrors.

http://www.doomworld.com/d_underg/idgames.shtml

http://www.filelibrary.com:8080/Contents/DOS/104/

Mordeth said:

No stuff was lost. The entire archive is now at 3darchives.in-span.net .

that's not true. lots of stuff was lost in the moving over. hell, cdrom probably had as much stuff in 1996 as 3darchives has now :P i have a CD that contained the cdrom.com archives as of early 1995, and i doubt 5% of the things are on 3darchives today. although most of the stuff that didn't make it over was garbage anyway (like versions of e1m1 with things changed, before anyone could change anything else).

sargebaldy: I would love to have a look at that cd you have, simply because I've been searching for a couple of old wads that don't exist anywhere on the net today, and I'm pretty sure they were in the old cdrom.com archives. That's yet another reason I think it would be cool to set up a site with all the old stuff.

I'm always interested in checking out .wads, even if they suck. So sure, I'd like a chance at ones that slipped through the cracks.

alexz721 said:

Does anyone actually care about this thread? Just asking.

Actually yes, we do. I'd like to find a wad I used to play back in '95. The one that keeps bringing back memories of the first wad with sprite replacement that i can remember. :)

ravage said:

I'd like to find a wad I used to play back in '95.

Can you remember what it was called (or what it might have been called)? I've got a really old doom cd with loads of early stuff on, so i'll have a look if you can give me more info.

If anyone has a CD or anything with ICDOOM1.zip on it I'd be most grateful. It seems to have been lost in 3darchives.

It's a pile of crap and wasn't finished, but it was the first set of levels that I (tried) to make and I don't have them any more...

Cheers

sargebaldy said:

that's not true. lots of stuff was lost in the moving over. hell, cdrom probably had as much stuff in 1996 as 3darchives has now :P

Wrong. Nothing has changed--the 3darchives was a mirror of the cdrom.com archives. Now, you might be thinking of the infant2 archives, and the transition to cdrom.com wasn't a particularly clean one as I recall. Also, there were things that had to be removed from cdrom.com due to it being a commercial environment, where Disney and MTV forced removal of some theme items (Beavis & Butthead, Ren & Stimpy, etc.). Also over time we have had requests from authors, and I suppose some of the "slightly modified" id levels have been removed.

But there hasn't been a wholesale loss of levels, and it sure as heck didn't happen on the move to 3darchives.

yeah, i guess that probably was the infant2 archives then. i guess that's also where the stuff on the renegade doom editor CD came from (next time i see that CD, i might put up a bunch of crap from that CD up on my FTP or something) because i know that a large chunk (if not most) of the stuff on that CD isn't on 3darchives. then again, probably 1/4 of the stuff on that CD was e1m1 versions with a couple thing replacements and wads that simply were corrupt and wouldn't run at all. a lot of stuff didn't even have documentation (but seeing as cdrom.com required that, i guess that's another indication it's something older). anyway, thanks for clearing stuff up.