Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Carnevil

TUTORIAL: Creating your own CTF level!

Hey, what's up everyone! Welcome to this tutorial explaining how to make your very own CTF level! This tutorial should help you get your CTF level up and running. If you have any additional questions, ask them here.

• First (aside from downloading Skulltag itself) you will need to download the Skulltag editing package, located here. In that, you should you should a config file for whatever editor you're using. WadAuthor users, that will be skulltag.wcf. ZETH users, that will be stzeth.cfg.

• Next, go ahead and build your level geometry. Yay, you're done. Wow, that's a nice-looking level you have there!

• Okay, now you need to place your starts. In the "player start" categories of your various editors, you should see temporary, red, and blue starts, in addition to player 1, deathmatch, etc. Go ahead and place your blue and red starts in their respective bases, and temp starts in the team select room (although that's TOTALLY optional. Temporary starts are *NOT* required).

• Then, delete any single player or deathmatch starts that were on the level. This is key, because then Skulltag will automatically know that your level is a CTF level, and it will automatically load in that mode! (so you don't have to specify -ctf, etc.) Isn't Skulltag cool? :)

• Next, go ahead and place your red, white, and blue flags. Yay, good job.

• Now, place a map spot with a TID of 1 over the blue flag, one with a TID of 2 over the red flag, and one with a TID of 3 over the white flag.

• Next, have the lines surrounding your flags call script 1. This is the *SCORING SCRIPT*. If this script is not called, points won't be scored. For the lines surrounding the flag in the blue base, have arg0 (the first one that's not the map parameter) be 0, for the lines in the red base, have arg0 be 1.

• Finally, compile stctfprefab.acs, and put it in your wad (how you actually do this depends on the editor. You figure it out :) ).

• You're done! :) That's all you need to do! You now have your very own CTF level that you can play with your friends. At this point, you can edit the script to add your own effects when a flag is picked up (perhaps you want to play a siren sound, or have some trap go off), add a temporary start room, or whatever you want! It's totally up to you! Skulltag is *very* flexible about what it will let you do with your CTF levels, but at the same time, easy to set up!
Alright, with that, you should be good to go! If you have any more quetions, ask here!

boris said:

WELL LOOKS LIKE MY TUTORIALS ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

You fail it. Your tutorial are not enough.

... heh, when did you make a CTF tutorial? AND DO YOU HAVE TEH FABULOUSO PREFAB SCRIPT LIEK I DEW!?!?!??!?!111111

Carnevil said:

• Now, place a map spot with a TID of 1 over the blue flag, one with a TID of 2 over the red flag, and one with a TID of 3 over the white flag.

What does TID stand for and what is it exactly?

boris said:

Thing ID. It's like a sector tag, just for things.

Yeah. When you place a map spot in ZETH or WadAuthor, there should be a field for it.

NiGHTMARE said:

Hmmm, a CTF version of D2DM6 would be cool...

boris?

Carnevil said:

Yeah. When you place a map spot in ZETH or WadAuthor, there should be a field for it.

Or indeed DeepSea.

NiGHTMARE said:

Or indeed DeepSea.

AFAIK, DS has broken ass compatibility with ST... heh. The config files need to be updated.

Carnevil said:

AFAIK, DS has broken ass compatibility with ST... heh. The config files need to be updated.

The first few items are okay, and then after that it's like putting Skull Tag in a blender. The file needs updating, yes.

okay, i have the temp ctf/dm spots placed in somewhere in the area of the map, but how do i make a teleport that leads you to choose teams and spawn in the right base you should belong in?

999cop said:

okay, i have the temp ctf/dm spots placed in somewhere in the area of the map, but how do i make a teleport that leads you to choose teams and spawn in the right base you should belong in?

To set the player on a team, just make a line run a script that calls Player_SetTeam( TEAM_BLUE/TEAM_RED ). As far as teleporting them to the right base, just do a standard teleport, and put the teleport destinitation in the appropriate base.

Carnevil said:

To set the player on a team, just make a line run a script that calls Player_SetTeam( TEAM_BLUE/TEAM_RED ).

how can i do that? probably not with wadauthor...

ACS_Execute - 2,0,0,0,0 for blue, 2,0,1,0,0 for red, 2,0,2,0,0 for random. You create a linedef at the start of the respective hall and you set the special to that. Then you create some teleport destination things (let's say... tid=10 for blue and 11 for red) in their respective bases. You create a teleporter in the blue hall that has a linedef tag of 10, and the same for red, but a linedef tag of 11. For the random teleporter, you add this into stctfprefab.acs:

script 9 (void)
{
int iTeam;
iTeam = random( TEAM_BLUE, TEAM_RED );
Player_SetTeam( iTeam );
if ( iTeam == TEAM_BLUE )
Teleport( 10 );
if ( iTeam == TEAM_RED )
Teleport( 11 );
}

Then for the teleport linedefs, you use ACS_Execute - 9,0,0,0,0. Simple, eh?

If you're still stuck, download ctfz0r1.wad and take a look at it for yourself in WA.

boris said:

From simple-minded for simple minded :P

You wrote that? Coulda sworn I did, but if a simple-minded person wrote it...