Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Carnevil

TUTORIAL: Creating your own CTF level!

• Then, delete any single player or deathmatch starts that were on the level. This is key, because then Skulltag will automatically know that your level is a CTF level, and it will automatically load in that mode! (so you don't have to specify -ctf, etc.) Isn't Skulltag cool? :)

Which automatically means you can have both DM and CTF mode on one map.

• Next, go ahead and place your red, white, and blue flags. Yay, good job.

Wth are white flags supposed to do? I have seen UT's MultiCTF, but three flags
    with two teams?

• Now, place a map spot with a TID of 1 over the blue flag, one with a TID of 2 over the red flag, and one with a TID of 3 over the white flag.

What if a map has more than one blue flag, 1. all blue flags with TID 1, 2.
    blue flags with different TIDs including tid1.

Hirogen2 said:

Which automatically means you can have both DM and CTF mode on one map.

Yes, but if you have more that one type of start on a level, Skulltag won't autodetect the mode, so you have to set it manually (-ctf, +deathmatch 1 in the console, etc.)

Wth are white flags supposed to do? I have seen UT's MultiCTF, but three flagswith two teams?

The white flag only gets spawned if you have the oneflagctf mode set. So, it's there if you want to play oneflagctf. It's not mandatory.

What if a map has more than one blue flag, 1. all blue flags with TID 1, 2. blue flags with different TIDs including tid1.

The reason for this is because the prefab script included in the editing package. In the BLUERETURN script for that, it respawns the blue flag at map spots tagged with TID 1. You can have the scripts do whatever you want, but if you're making a standard CTF level, and are using the prefab script without (major) alterations, you must place a map spot with TID 1 where you want the blue flag to respawn if you expect it to work right.

Oops, realized I had left out a step, so I edited the tutorial. The new step covers triggering the scoring script (so teams can actually get points!)

Carnevil said:

Hey, what's up everyone! Welcome to this tutorial explaining how to make your very own CTF level! This tutorial should help you get your CTF level up and running. If you have any additional questions, ask them here.

• First (aside from downloading Skulltag itself) you will need to download the Skulltag editing package, located here. In that, you should you should a config file for whatever editor you're using. WadAuthor users, that will be skulltag.wcf. ZETH users, that will be stzeth.cfg.

• Next, go ahead and build your level geometry. Yay, you're done. Wow, that's a nice-looking level you have there!

• Okay, now you need to place your starts. In the "player start" categories of your various editors, you should see temporary, red, and blue starts, in addition to player 1, deathmatch, etc. Go ahead and place your blue and red starts in their respective bases, and temp starts in the team select room (although that's TOTALLY optional. Temporary starts are *NOT* required).

• Then, delete any single player or deathmatch starts that were on the level. This is key, because then Skulltag will automatically know that your level is a CTF level, and it will automatically load in that mode! (so you don't have to specify -ctf, etc.) Isn't Skulltag cool? :)

• Next, go ahead and place your red, white, and blue flags. Yay, good job.

• Now, place a map spot with a TID of 1 over the blue flag, one with a TID of 2 over the red flag, and one with a TID of 3 over the white flag.

• Next, have the lines surrounding your flags call script 1. This is the *SCORING SCRIPT*. If this script is not called, points won't be scored. For the lines surrounding the flag in the blue base, have arg0 (the first one that's not the map parameter) be 0, for the lines in the red base, have arg0 be 1.

• Finally, compile stctfprefab.acs, and put it in your wad (how you actually do this depends on the editor. You figure it out :) ).

• You're done! :) That's all you need to do! You now have your very own CTF level that you can play with your friends. At this point, you can edit the script to add your own effects when a flag is picked up (perhaps you want to play a siren sound, or have some trap go off), add a temporary start room, or whatever you want! It's totally up to you! Skulltag is *very* flexible about what it will let you do with your CTF levels, but at the same time, easy to set up!
    Alright, with that, you should be good to go! If you have any more quetions, ask here!

It's a good Tutorial. I got Wadauthor. When I load the .wcf file for Wadauthor, it won't work.

eternal_DooMer said:

It's a good Tutorial. I got Wadauthor. When I load the .wcf file for Wadauthor, it won't work.

What does it say when you try to?

Carnevil said:

What does it say when you try to?

It says:

The current configuration file has invalid information. Please correct any errors in the following and press OK to update the configuration file. If other information is invalid, you will have to edit it manually or re-install.

I'm SURE that I have everything right. These are the settings the configuration file has:

Wadfile: C:\Doom2\Skulltag.wad

Name of new map: Skulltag

Map Number: MAP01

Hello.
    And how i can do CTF map in Doom Builder. There is no stuff like arg0, TID, map spot, and even script editing for SkullTag (i noticed only script editing for Legacy). I don't want to use any commercial s*** like DeepSea and WADauthor, and btw: all editors except DCK 3.6.2 and Doom Builder are crap.

EDIT
    Oh and why when i open SkullTag and ZDooM maps in Doom Builder (no matter is it D2CTF1.wad file or D2CTF1 map from skulltag.wad file) everything looks like... baby painting, all linedefs cross each other, all things got strange types and map look as it would'nt look. It's playable normally, but when i try to compile it in editor, it can't start. And DeepSea open these maps normally.

eternal_DooMer said:

I'm getting Wadauthor right now. I'm 77th in the queue. I was previously 132nd in the queue. At least it wasn't worse than a few months ago.

Hell, you should have looked up Google for Wadauthor. There's actually a site made for the editor and provided with a straightforward link to the file.

Great, i know how to get into things and linedef types present in tutorial (thanks to mr.rocket). But there is another problem - script doesnt compile. Doom Builder don't want even to compile premaded level. I use the script from Skulltag Editing Package and all tags seems to be good, so i think this must be Doom Buidler 1.1 bug.

Zalewa said:

Great, i know how to get into things and linedef types present in tutorial (thanks to mr.rocket). But there is another problem - script doesnt compile. Doom Builder don't want even to compile premaded level. I use the script from Skulltag Editing Package and all tags seems to be good, so i think this must be Doom Buidler 1.1 bug.

Yeah, I've heard the same thing from Mr. Rocket himself. Hopefully it will be fixed by 1.2 or something.

Exactly what error do you guys get, anyway?

Line 9 in file "E:\programy\DOOMBU~1\script.acs" ...
    E:\programy\DOOMBU~1\script.acs:9: Bad script declaration.
    > {
    > ^
    E:\programy\DOOMBU~1\script.acs:114: team_red : Identifier has not been declared.
    > if ( playerblueskull( ) && ( playerteam( ) == TEAM_RED ))
    >

That is the bug ^^^

this is line 9:
    if ( IsOneFlagCTF( ))

I noticed (you guys propably too) that Legacy and Zdoom scripts seem to be similar, propably both are based on C++

hello. I have been reading about making the CTF levels, and have a few problems.

1) BORIS TUTORIAL IS THA BEST THANG EBER! MUCH MEW BETTER THAN CARNY'S! CARNY'S IS UBER EEEEEEBBBBIIILLLL!!!! (Like Windows XP)

2) For Doom Builder, there is no map spot, TID, or Skull Tag Scripting that i can find. I tried using WadAuthor, but it crashes every time i click on a map X_X. and Zeth is in DOS, which i hate ¬_¬

3) Llama!

Hustler One said:

I tried using WadAuthor, but it crashes every time i click on a map X_X.

I have the same problem. Set the config file to doom2 and open a wad. Then go file close and select the skulltag config. Then open your CTF wad ad edit as you please. For some odd reason that works for me.