Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheEmperor

Doom source code and WAD questions

1) Where can I find (online) the Doom source code? I've read that it was revealed in 1997 but I can't find the actual source code anywhere. A link could be helpful.

2) In what programming language was Doom and Doom 2 written? I believe it was C or C++ but I'm not positive.

2) How do I edit WAD files? I've tried using the EDIT command in DOS, and trying to load the WAD files directly into my Windows based C++ program, but it doesn't work. If I need a separate program to load the WAD files, tell me about it!

Also thanks for a great site about a great game. Frag on.

TheEmperor said:

1) Where can I find (online) the Doom source code? I've read that it was revealed in 1997 but I can't find the actual source code anywhere. A link could be helpful.

IIRC it's here on DW somewhere, but depending on what you want to do you might want to use some port's source.

TheEmperor said:

2) In what programming language was Doom and Doom 2 written? I believe it was C or C++ but I'm not positive.

C.

TheEmperor said:

2) How do I edit WAD files? I've tried using the EDIT command in DOS, and trying to load the WAD files directly into my Windows based C++ program, but it doesn't work. If I need a separate program to load the WAD files, tell me about it!

Use some editor.

Looking around on DW/searching the forums had answered all your questions.

TheEmperor said:

The originaly doom source code was the linux doom source. If you want to do some source hacking I suggest you work on one of the more modern ports which fix a lot of the bugs in the original as well as running on a variety of other OSes as well. If you want a nice clean base I suggest you look at PrBoom

Doom was written in C. Some ports such as ZDoom have migrated it to C++.

I suggest you look at The Unofficial Doom Spec which gives information about the binary format of WAD files and how to read/edit them.